My Classic Bronco Build: F8 LUBR

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Great thread. I had a 72 with a 302 and it was a rot box, but ran great.

I too had a '70 and '72 back in HS, but was too poor to get them running. The '70 was a rust bucket that I put the axles under my '89 Ranger. The '72 was a Sport trim in decent shape and I still have one Sport badge as I forgot to give it to the buyer. If I had both, I would give them to the OP if he wanted them.

OP - I'll live my dreams through you! Maybe someday I can snag another, but the prices in the last 15 years for a clean one have been insane!

Jefe

Established Member
F8 Green for the Win!!
The color is still pretty new and I havent seen anyone paint a car project this color yet. Might be the first in the world haha
Great thread. I had a 72 with a 302 and it was a rot box, but ran great.
When was that and what did you do with it? Prices have gotten crazy for rusty ones. You can't find a clean body under $10K anymore. The 2020 Bronco is probably going to make them even more valuable and harder to find
I too had a '70 and '72 back in HS, but was too poor to get them running. The '70 was a rust bucket that I put the axles under my '89 Ranger. The '72 was a Sport trim in decent shape and I still have one Sport badge as I forgot to give it to the buyer. If I had both, I would give them to the OP if he wanted them.

OP - I'll live my dreams through you! Maybe someday I can snag another, but the prices in the last 15 years for a clean one have been insane!
Mine is not a sport but people are always looking for OEM parts if you find it! OEM fenders and hardtops are going for crazy money now.

We got really lucky in 2011 when we bought this. About 3 years later prices basically doubled. Then companies like ICON showed up and bought all the projects all over the country. Its hard to find one now.

I hope to find another after this ones done and make a trail rig. This one is going to be a road warrior/trail runner and I have a feeling we will eventually do a motor swap. If you ever spot one collecting dust, stop and ask. You never know...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The color is still pretty new and I havent seen anyone paint a car project this color yet. Might be the first in the world haha

When was that and what did you do with it? Prices have gotten crazy for rusty ones. You can't find a clean body under $10K anymore. The 2020 Bronco is probably going to make them even more valuable and harder to find
I sold it a way long time ago.

Jefe

Established Member
Got a new VIN plate from Marti Reports. This goes on the inside of the dashboard

JDdLJME.jpg

New gas caps just showed up. Its going to take some modification to the quarter panel and the stock filler neck

Gccdcgy.jpg

GKvFaZm.jpg

Not my Bronco but this is how they will look:

jiAqa9j.jpg

As opposed to the locking cap that I never liked:

Vm6l15h.jpg

Picked up some 6.5" Hertz Mille Pro Coaxial speakers. These will be installed in the rear quarter panels and Im still looking for a compact marine amp to run them

mp3005-500x500.jpg

Also got a complete vinyl flooring kit in black. No hard top and I didn't want carpet. This can't go in until its basically done. Cage, dash, seats and gas tanks gotta go in first.

vinylflooring.jpg

Ive heard this is one of the tougher installs too. Luckily its the middle of the summer so the material shouldn't be too stiff

9eE9H7K.jpg

The front 12 gallon tank has a serial plate with 1991 on it so its been on for a while and looked like it.

n3RtL9p.jpg

I took it and the stock 12 gallon rear tank to a shop to get hot tanked and pressure checked. Both were still solid

MRcRJbf.jpg

PtuVeX5.jpg

x6ShA4p.jpg

Ab769wT.jpg

HHsT8WT.jpg

Old 2.5" springs vs the new 3.5" Deaver coils. Much smoother ride

TLEQRA1.jpg

New Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners.

bilstein-5100-f250_4.png

The rear shocks were at least 35 years old haha

WB5F5CL.jpg

xchamp

Established Member
Awesome job! Love the old broncos, I would love to build one but dam they are expensive to buy! Doing a project like this is huge undertaking and costly. U guys are doing some great work.

Jefe

Established Member
Moved the Bronco from the paint shop to the customization shop. The Bronco undercarriage will get the full Second Skin treatment as well as cleaning up the frame, radius arms and axles. He pressure washed and degreased the tub and said its one of the cleanest he has seen or worked on. Tested the heater and the motor works so Im thinking the core leaks. Also laying out the dash design and accessories we want to add.

kxumwLI.jpg

Dropped off a ton of parts, passenger seat, console and Wildhorses seat box so that could be welded in

ZBieLME.jpg

New shopmates

flyPvfi.jpg

He came up with a great idea on those gas caps which will be mounted behind the fender. We will have to modify the neck to make it work but it should look very clean once the holes are welded up

XQeqFBZ.jpg

Picked up an American Autowire Harness to replace the 44 year old wiring. That goes in after paint

s-l1600.jpg

Got a new firewall insulation kit coming from Toms

maxresdefault.jpg

Also picked up a Denali SoundBomb horn

denali_soundbomb_compact_air_horn_black_750x750.jpg

Shipped a bunch more parts to Ryan at LUBR4x4 for powdercoating

sM2hZEX.jpg

U54OWqj.jpg

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Only a small update this time. Dropped the gas tanks off for fitting the modified gas necks. Got the fresh air intake in. Took some cutting to get it to fit which was odd. This has to go while the fender is off so its the reason you see a lot of mangled intakes. People dont like taking fenders off

PtqWhCt.jpg

He built a frame for the center console. Used nutserts in the tub and the frame . Yes, the tite seal window flashing "sound deadener is coming out lol

avJB3zD.jpg

Got the old wiring harness out. Besides 4 or 5 added wires this thing is in amazing shape for being 44 years old

ixn7APm.jpg

Bought a voltmeter to retrofit into the stock cluster. It comes with an ammeter which is outdated and actually won't work with the new harness. Also need to get a 1 wire alternator

1822380_L_9b36c810-6568-4e5d-97b6-9c56059606e5.jpg

Interior handles and license plate frame got powdercoated

ohp5c6Q.jpg

BwbaCFJ.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread