My Classic Bronco Build: F8 LUBR

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I was concerned when I read they were using Sherwin Williams, but the painter obviously knows what he is doing because it turned out great! Project looks awesome and is coming together great. Green works so well on them too and I have decided to keep mine green too. Not sure what exact green it will be though.

Jefe

Established Member
I was in the middle of a mid perch suspension mod on the Raptor when the Bronco builder invited us out to see the progress and knock out some of the easier stuff we didn't want to pay him to do. Their first meeting:

00gPUSs.jpg

Wires have been run to every corner and ready for lights

KyEfgLU.jpg

P1ToETj.jpg

Drained the oil and filled back up with Valvoline VR1 10W30. New C bushings, radius arm bushings, cleaned and painted the frame, front driveshaft, calipers, radius arms, Dana 44 and replaced every nut and bolt on the suspension

5gLrGit.jpg

Hellwig Sway Bar installed with the longer end links. Stock Y linkage still on. Waiting for an alignment to order the Heim steering because our measurements are still not matching what Duff says they should be

kYbWBZK.jpg

Speaker and amp wiring goes under the tub and in through the backside of the pasenger seat where the amp mounts

vxhH4Yt.jpg

New auxiliary fuel neck that is welded to the body and coated in Second Skin

cBKzR3J.jpg

American Autowire fuse block in the glovebox

UVg93vD.jpg

Door pins painted and ready to install

Gnu5oh6.jpg

Back on the ground to install the tailights and turn signals

ggrpwWv.jpg

Alice mod turn signals

FcYSeWS.jpg

Decided to go without taillight bezels. Also notice the trailer wiring tucked up on the frame

3df9gt8.jpg

Dash is basically done. Just need to slide the stereo in, glovebox door and steering column. Then coolant, bleed the brakes and its ready to fire up!

0mVSRYc.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Put 5 gallons in it last week to get it tuned but the stock sending unit gasket was rotted and we lost half the tank. Spent a few days tracking one down locally but got it all tuned up and it runs better than ever.

Checked every single nut and bolt on Saturday and got a text on Cinco de Mayo that it was ready to come home! Lined up a trailer and headed out today to pick it up. Windshield and dual wiper motors installed

bsyoPYD.jpg

Fired up for the first time in 4 years. Original 302 but was rebuilt 9 years ago. Drove it up on the trailer to test out the new brakes/power steering and its incredible how much better it is

Wasn't sure I could trust the windshield for the trip home. A few guys on the Early Bronco FB group convinced me that the 2 dash bolts were plenty so we bolted the hood on and loaded it up

Kx21CZN.jpg

Ho53Y2Z.jpg

pWiSQDe.jpg

Keeping a close eye on it the whole way home:

Back home for the final touches and finishing the interior. Flooring, bumpers, cage, seats, aux tank, speakers, doors, rear panels, trim, and much more.

WqqdPEe.jpg

Here is the Denali SoundBomb 12V Dual Tone Horn in action:

brianz426

Established Member
Great job all around. Love the color. That horn is icing on the cake, I’m getting one for my Bronco.

Jefe

Established Member
First thing we did was throw the modified Protofab Rock Solid front bumper on. Also realized we needed to add a hole to mount the FORD grill letters on so we did that very carefully. Still need to adjust them a little bit to sit right. Also put the new satin silver wipers on and gave them a test run. Not synchronized haha! They are all over the place, Ill worry about that later, if we ever drive in the rain...

7uIhl7o.jpg

Got all of the marker lights bolted up with new gaskets and the LED bulbs. The brake lights and turn signals are neat

aa4VFIS.jpg

The dash came out cleaner that I ever imagined. So glad the painter convinced me to do the whole column. I am sending out the turn signal arm out to www.LUBR4x4.com for matching powdercoating

3zKdEIh.jpg

Still need to get the glovebox door on

xLzFppO.jpg

Got the new H4 headlights in and rolled it out into the sun. The new neighbor came running over to inspect after getting permission from his wife. Still need to do some hood alignment and get the shocks bolted up

zo86bQg.jpg

Protofab Rock Solid rear bumper. I have silver FORD letters going on the tailgate as soon as its detailed. It is really filthy but hard to tell in these pics

zsnPNLg.jpg

The Bronco looks like a toy next to the Raptor!

pvuzP1N.jpg

V9ywS6Y.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Got the new Marti Works VIN plate mounted to the glove box door. Even comes with the original style press in rivets.

lyoWiDk.jpg

LED license plate bulb installed with a brand new stock glass housing. Accidentally dropped the OEM one and it shattered

oXd1Hfm.jpg

Im noticing a blue hue to the H4 headlights from Toms. Gonna wait for the first night drive to see how blue they look but I want pure white output

TWqlSVt.jpg

j6AiseZ.jpg

Loving the look inside the fenders with the Hellwig sway bar

QaPufiU.jpg

Got the bed rails and door jams all taped up for the flooring and eventual cage install

HfWijw5.jpg

KAfFY48.jpg

Cleaned up the front half of the tub and put more sound deadening down

C8I2clm.jpg

Got some jute padding laid down on the firewall and trans hump. I was at Home Depot looking for ideas on how to make the bed as flat as possible and found some 8' vinyl Screen Tight base trips. They fit in the bed valleys perfectly so I cut them up and glued them in.

Screen Tight 1-1/2 in. Porch Screening System Base Strip-BASE18 - The Home Depot

shgK79d.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Using the Stock Interiors vinyl flooring kit # 13163 that includes fenderwells and a tailgate piece. If anyone wants the 2 fenderwell pieces let me know as I did not use them.

6JKSfVR.jpg

This vinyl kit sat in the box since October 2017. We laid it out the morning of the install in 75 degree weather and it became very pliable in an hour or two. We did the sound deadening up front, jute padding, prepping and glued the rear section in on Saturday. Took about 6 hours and not much needed to be modified. The rear section was simple to install

FbHLaoT.jpg

LBxA9rA.jpg

haqSBCr.jpg

The front vinyl piece had pre-molded drops for the driver and passenger side floor. The passenger side sits farther back but because we welded the Wildhorses storage box in as a seat mount, we had to cut that section out and modify another piece to fit. I also asked Stock Interiors to let the front piece run long so we could modify it ourselves to fit. Little did I know we would spend 7 hours cutting, shaping and test fitting. I think I made over 100 cuts and here is the trash pile

FoGv6xv.jpg

Last test fit before the glue goes on

y0dtzKH.jpg

One more soak in the sun before glue. We used DAP Weldwood contact cement which has heat and water resistance. Once the glue goes on you have 15 minutes before the vinyl needs to be bonded to the floor and once they are touching it an immediate bond. It had to be done right the first time which was nerve racking around the trans tunnel. Luckily I had 2 extra sets of hands helping and we got it done

OOosopF.jpg

Really could have used an old set of encyclopedias but we made do with several household items. Yes that is a cast iron skillet under the brake pedal.

OdhNtw1.jpg

The next day we drilled all the cage/seat bolt holes and got the homemade center console frame mounted up. We installed nutserts in the bed that it bolts to and the center console bolts to nutserts in the frame

WiV5aHe.jpg

I did not find too many guys installing this vinyl flooring but the ones that did the vinyl did not lay flat and they had several air pockets. I was really hoping to avoid that but expected to have some areas that didnt want to stick down flush. Luckily the problem areas we have will be bolted down under a seat or console so Im pretty happy with the outcome. I would 100% recommend the rear piece to anyone looking for a simple way to install vinyl floor covering in the back but I dont think I would do the front install again. One of the tougher jobs I've done on a vehicle

nsXSmZP.jpg

Laid the console on the bracket and got the side panels out just to see how they looked against the black

1WWHuYS.jpg

Saturday we will be installing the roll cage, bolting the seats in and taking it for our first real drive in over 4 years

yiNT3vG.jpg

coposrv

Established Member
I don’t know why but I love the horn.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Its so perfect.

I'm really happy to see you aren't using those blacked out/LED/Projector head lights that everyone seems to be using to ruin the classic look.

This is easily the best bronco ever.

Jefe

Established Member
Love every bit of it.
Thanks man!
I don’t know why but I love the horn.
You should have heard the 45 year old stock horn. It sounded like a horrible voice crack
Love it all. Wonderful job!!!
Are you taking orders? Haha
Thanks! I actually stumbled across this one a block away from my house. Made him a pretty good offer and he wound up getting almost triple that ha. Im always on the hunt for another but the prices have gotten nuts!

aryr8ib.jpg

2ZkuwFN.jpg

Its so perfect.
I'm really happy to see you aren't using those blacked out/LED/Projector head lights that everyone seems to be using to ruin the classic look.
This is easily the best bronco ever.
I appreciate it! Yeah, I hate the HID look on these. I almost didn't go LEDs on the signals/markers but they came out great. We agreed from the start that we were not cutting the fenders, putting a lift and larger tires on it. From there we tried to tip toe the fine line of the stock look with custom touches and I think we've nailed it.

My Fathers friend came by who ran a paint and body shop for over 30 years. He also has quite the car collection including 2 Ford GTs, he owned a CSX Cobra at one point and is adding a 3rd ZR1 this weekend. He walked around every inch of it and his first words were, "holy shit, this is an 11 out of 10 paint job."

Jefe

Established Member
Greg Foutz has purchased I think three broncos recently. He can’t beat your build though!
Don’t tell him I said that though. Haha
Very cool! I need to head to Phoenix and check out this shop. Might have him rebuild my Fox shocks in the Raptor

Jefe

Established Member
Saturday a couple buddies came over to put the cage in. Had to drill about 40 holes in the vinyl flooring for the cage, seats, and console which wasn't too bad from under the tub. Unbolted the windshield from the dash and tilted it forward to give us extra room but it only took about 30 seconds to get the cage into place

BMPYv06.jpg

The cage was custom built by Mike Dyster(Bronco Driver) and his son who clearanced the front upper bar for the stock wiper motor and linkage. I went with the smaller dual wiper motors and didn't think we'd have any clearance issues. Leaned the windshield back towards it and I had about 1/4" of room on the drivers side. A little bit more room once the windshield braces and doors go on. Lucked out there!

qe7GOm9.jpg

9C9HOrC.jpg

Bolted the Humvee 3 point belts to the cage bungs as well as the center console and seats. The amplifier will be mounted to an elevated board under the passenger seat. All of the wiring goes through a grommet and down under the tub so there are no wires inside the cab

4avvSRD.jpg

You feel like you're sitting high in the seat but the 2005 Mustang buckets sit pretty low for a high back seat

C7A74DR.jpg

It is filthy dirty. Only a few more weeks until its ready for its first detail and ceramic coating

wEkstJX.jpg

Debating on whether to get a matching twin stick boot to the upholstery or just go black. Also had a heck of a time getting the glovebox door on. Been too long and there's a ton of adjustment

MCV7yFs.jpg

Ran to the gas station for a few gallons of gas, started it up and went for our first cruise in over 4 years. I've got a little bit of belt squeal on startup that I need to pinpoint and I need to monitor engine temps as it seemed a little hot for such a short drive but overall a success!

This weekend we will be dropping the rear gas tank to bolt the fold n tumble rear seat in, mounting the auxiliary gas tank, and working on the audio system

Attachments

• wEkstJX.jpg
    wEkstJX.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 434

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
Man, I love Bronco's. While I don't have a classic, I do have a 94 EB, and a 96 EB. All good in my books!

thirtytwovalve

Steam Rollin 335's
Established Member
  • Congrats! Great feeling for sure, I was super stoked the first time I drove my 67 after the frame off. What cage is that? I'm looking at buying/building a family cage for mine. Nice build

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a great project. That Bronco came out really nice. The motor, cage, paint color....everything just looks so good. Sounds nice, too! Well done!

Jefe

Established Member
Congrats! Great feeling for sure, I was super stoked the first time I drove my 67 after the frame off. What cage is that? I'm looking at buying/building a family cage for mine. Nice build
Its a custom built cage by one of the Bronco Driver magazine contributors. Just happened to see it on Craigslist about 5 years ago. It fits great now that we did some tweaking and smoothing but if I had to do it again I would go with ProtoFab or Bailie Bilt

00P0P_la4jxGFkgHY_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread