My Classic Bronco Build: F8 LUBR

Jefe

Established Member
Out in the sun and on its way back to the fab shop. Tearing apart the front end this week to replace bushings, clean up and paint the Dana 44, rebuild the Dana 20, rewiring the whole Bronco and installing the stereo/dash. Also going to fit the hood, doors, windshield, and tailgate.

DAz6nKD.jpg

QY3HChN.jpg

MUAV8Ql.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Dropped off a ton of boxes and got to see it again. I hate having someone else working on it but these are the things Im not comfortable doing.

FtoShhh.jpg

Mmn7K2e.jpg

New Energy Suspension Black 7° C Bushings and Wildhorses Degreed Radius Arm Bushings going on soon

ICf6eWS.jpg

As well as the American Autowire Harness

aB9hWXo.jpg

Dropped off the dash

G9neFpZ.jpg

Picked up the doors and tailgate, now lets see if we can remember how the door internals went together...

zAGv5BF.jpg

9NrBzAK.jpg

And painted the gas caps!

HS1GaKq.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Working on the Astro boost swap today and the one I bought has an angled firewall bracket on it. With the bracket clocked it hits the valve cover and the other way it looks goofy sitting higher than the air cleaner. There's a massive nut on the stud that's nearly impossible to get off, or so I thought...

8p9ZTqg.jpg

W34V4kf.jpg

30 minutes later he got the nut off, cut the angle out of the bracket and welded it back up. This guy is good!

QWPo1Cp.jpg

KV6qXbO.jpg

Sits level but now I need a 90 clocking bracket

DAZNbs7.jpg

The brackets from deals4u5309 on eBay

9BPEbiS.png

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
New parts all came in. Alternator, distributor, solid state ignition, coil, and saginaw power steering pump.

UtPxH3a.jpg

Got to work on the door internals. Cleaned up, painted and greased the window regulators

lewSOBK.jpg

mnxW49A.jpg

Cleaned the 45 year old grease out and painted the glass mounts

0TcBYiW.jpg

Also got a picture of the Raptor lined bumpers patiently waiting for their new home

EuKECrU.jpg

The original 302 cooling and fuel system is being torn down

GdpH2a4.jpg

Firewall insulation pad mounted and got the heater and core installed. He was not thrilled with the pad from Toms, tons of modifications needed to fit right. I might have a cowl clearance issue with the temp control cable sitting above it but hoping we can figure a way around it before modifying the painted dash. Fingers crossed!

Il60JUb.jpg

Wiring is well under way with the American Autowire Harness. So far his only complaint is the wire length between the fuse panel and ign/wiper/lights/etc as you can see. The harness has enough lead to run headlight wires down each side but are long enough to run down only one side and across the front end to the other light. Not sure which route will look cleaner

58AkDrN.jpg

Notice the hidden power port on the bottom lip

fEW1Tkg.jpg

Also removing everything I won't be using to clean it up like VSS, power windows/locks, aftermarket gauge and column leads, digital tach, electric choke, electric fan, etc. We are running a trailer harness and backup camera leads to the back

vEbIxep.jpg

Back of the cluster that Kevin at Classy Gauges resto'd for us a year ago

2kZvctq.jpg

Sneak peak with the new bezels

npDmdtW.jpg

Gas caps are so cool!

vDIl5UC.jpg

The painter got a little excited and did the whole steering column in green. Nothing else is green in the engine bay. Need to decide whether to leave it be or scuff it up and paint it black. Thoughts?

p1yjE00.jpg

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
I like it. That power steering pump on the other hand...
ha thats being replaced with the Saginaw. Think OReilly will take the 45 year old pump back as my core return?

The new pump was $47 and the v belt pulley was $51!

Jefe

Established Member
Discovered a ton of play in the steering box so that's getting rebuilt and upgraded for modern road feel thru a local shop. We never ran the Bronco with the front driveshaft in but put new ujoints in it. After we had it back together it didn't feel right just turning it by hand. Took it to Western Diff and after tearing it back down said it needed a new weld yoke and socket yoke. I called Randy at Driven4x4 and he had exactly what I needed from a similar Bronco setup and shipped it out.

Pep Boys mailed me a $100 coupon for spending a certain amount with them so I went in to look at batteries and found a Bosch dual terminal that was $150. He rang me up and found another $15 in credits on my account so a new battery for $35!

BOSCH-BATTERY-78DT-850B.jpg

Picked up an Esky CCD backup camera that will show up on the Kenwood screen. I can also add another camera as it has front/rear capabilities.

61zLcKieWiL._SX522_.jpg

The heater control hole on the dash was too high. We played around with different spacing or adding 3 more holes for dummy switches

Y6yA20D.jpg

I didn't like either idea so we decided to bring that top control down in line with the others and move the power port from the bottom lip. So this top hole got sanded and welded up which also gives us more room for the defroster duct. First major goof of the build, back to the shop for a repaint and clear. The power port will have a matching knob from Toms

0SagW8h.jpg

Got to work on the cooling system and heater core. Broke a fitting on the intake manifold but got it out and flushed the entire system

HhR8G92.jpg

The past few weekends we've been getting the doors and tailgate put back together. Fist time these colors have been together

GoW2isA.jpg

I did not realize how much work was involved in door prep, mainly because of the Spectrum Second Skin we sprayed inside the doors. 4 holes in each door were covered up, primered and painted over. So I had to very carefully find them, poke a screw through and then gently carve out the holes. Door handle post hole, door handle screw hole, and outer window guide screw holes. Luckily the mirror holes are fine

NMr9RKc.jpg

New handles, upper door felt and window anti-rattles from Toms. Door handles work better than new.

3m3im1S.jpg

Satin silver powdercoat(thanks to Ryan at www.LUBR4x4.com) to match the emblems, grill letters, headlight rings, license plate frame and tailgate strikers/latches/hinges

q82Z9YS.jpg

Tailgate was a breeze!

oLJsSKc.jpg

5AiVdeX.jpg

New support cables from Toms. Really glad we went with Raptor liner on the back of the tailgate

eDpD8i8.jpg

After a little adjustment got it all lined up

UsvxEd1.jpg

SctnGIJ.jpg

7P3L65c.jpg

Saginaw installed and master cylinder clocked. Going to cut the breather neck down for more clearance. Also going to modify the Saginaw pump bracket to get more clearance for the ports against the fender

zHMlwjV.jpg

xchamp

Established Member
Awesome job! The details will be worth it in the end! Gotta love Sherwin Williams products! Used them on my recent F100 build.

Jefe

Established Member
The aluminum door inserts came with the Bronco when we bought it. Here they are with the Beard seats and belts I sold 3 years ago. Carpet went in the trash

uoH2QrM.jpg

Briarwood vinyl up top, Old Whiskey vinyl on the bottom. Amazing how much it looks like leather

7L8wvZ4.jpg

SdosxQU.jpg

Without the mounting screws

xh51GbI.jpg

3 weekends later the doors are ready to hang!

PDtWgRb.jpg

WeX4wee.jpg

7cPeD0u.jpg

The stainless window crank really stands out against the black and brown but once they're mounted it will look better with all the silver on the dash.

yyMFUpe.jpg

bVAPhk2.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is quite a project you've undertaken, but the results are going to so worth all the time, sweat and money. The paint color is awesome. Perfect for this Bronco IMO.

Jefe

Established Member
Slow progress lately as my fabricator had 2 major projects he needed to complete before focusing on mine again but things are rolling now. I am next in line for the lift where the front end will be torn apart, cleaned and rebuilt.

UbruQJN.jpg

This Mustang is now in my spot getting the finishing touches

xpJ1uwM.jpg

Cloudy skies but a little better shot of the tailgate. When I get it home Im chopping off the exhaust and dumping it just after the axle.

BaAHK2T.jpg

Got the fittings and hoses run for the astro boost swap, the Wilwood proportioning valve installed and made new lines, new heater hoses, new distributor, new coil, rebuilt power steering box, new alternator, new battery and tray, new hard fuel line and filter, new belts, and redid the transmission cooling lines. Also test fit the new fan shroud and need a smaller crank pulley

VOR18MV.jpg

Lim3tSp.jpg

KvBp75k.jpg

Rebuilt the freshly painted column with a new turn signal switch, wiring, shift indicator and shift handle. Painted the lower half black that shows in the engine bay

vVLKvUA.jpg

Harness is all mocked up and ready to install

6ZGIjiO.jpg

Hope that's not too much silver haha

x1FMemH.jpg

Hellwig sway bar ready to go in

Fvnqqm2.jpg

Dropped off the steering stabilizer from JBG

fuVdC3W.jpg

Also picked up 13 LEDs to replace the turn signals, markers, brakes, license, interior courtesy and back up lights. Got them from SuperBrightLEDs. Sticking with the H4s from TBP but I may swap them out for H4 LEDs from SBL

LXpTxBs.jpg

jrandy

Established Member
It's coming together nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product with all the detail you've been putting into it.

Jefe

Established Member
Carb rebuild

jgc1eMl.jpg

Got the new fan shroud in and replaced the crank pulley for better fitment. New belts. Just need to hook up the heater lines. Stereo wiring was also run

gdwczm3.jpg

Speaker wires coming into the rear quarters. Amp wiring comes in under the passenger seat box

hw2bo3S.jpg

Got the fittings and lines run for the new hydroboost setup. Painted the bracket and cylinder black to blend in better

rIUl3el.jpg

BDAPMRo.jpg

Dashboard is in!

qFepFLX.jpg

Got the plate all mounted up and wired with the new backup camera

gQgmWtZ.jpg

But I lost my front end

Jhkr8kp.jpg

123RLBi.jpg

New C bushings, radius arm bushings, custom bump stops, and Hellwig sway bar went on. Also found a lot of play in my end links so I decided to ditch the stock Y setup and go with the Duff Heim linkage steering. Cleaned up and painted everything. Well almost everything, rotors are not happy.

HmHpO2l.jpg

Got the Hellwig 7867 sway bar in and the end links are about 9" long. Contacted Hellwig and they are sending me 4" longer end links since the bar isn't parallel even with the tires on the ground

idlZTso.jpg

Got into the Dana 20 and found the cable gear clip inside the output shaft housing. I dont know how that happened but that's why my speedo cable gear got all mangled up. That wasn't the only casualty, it got my output shaft gear as well

lPKvdln.jpg

1l7mKLc.jpg

After calling every vendor and confusing several parts suppliers I realized this gear is some what of a unicorn to find. Luckily Shane at Toms found a used one and its on its way to me as well as a 16 tooth speedo gear

eHLoCxw.jpg

Last week I drove the Hellcat to Midland, TX and traded it in on a 6.2L Raptor. I now have my prerunner/tow vehicle and I plan on taking it to Baja

YIO8wc2.jpg

KwNJQfV.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread