My Classic Bronco Build: F8 LUBR

Jefe

Established Member
Finalized the dash layout. The problem we were running into is clearance for the double DIN stereo as well as keeping the defrost ducting hooked up.

WjKT3zv.jpg

So I went this route with vertical stacks for the ignition, lights, wipers on the left and heater controls on the right. I hid a cigarette lighter under the bottom lip of the dash as well as the fuel tank selector switch. New fuse box will be in the glove box

NpqFVzc.jpg

This is an aftermarket dash from BC Broncos. Overall a great product but it needed several tweaks to fit and mount properly. Pictured here with the original dash so no more ash tray, speaker cover, or random holes the previous owner added for gauges and switches

cQ4OLlu.jpg

Time to tear down the undercarriage for some Spectrum Second Skin spray on vibration dampner.

ZamS7B4.jpg

9" rear out of the way and ready for stripping

Oku4QrK.jpg

All in all the undercarriage was in a great shape for its age

qNU7JWM.jpg

rHajjD0.jpg

Although we did find another horrible patch repair job. This was on the drivers side inner rocker panel. No clue what caused this but it was completely replaced

UrJtdjr.jpg

Also found the VIN stamped on top of the passenger side frame rail. Numbers matching!!

Z3Rhf9P.jpg

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Bolted the gas tanks in to mock up the new flush mount fuel caps. Decided to modify one filler neck and build a brand new one for the other tank to make this work

kwTveKy.jpg
fmfCIWP.jpg

And I gotta say, its bitchin! Start to finish on the body:

tcjH87T.jpg

Thee caps twist and pop out. Im going to paint these to match the body

LgdkH8v.jpg

40+ years of paint, dirt and grime about to come off:

o5TSo7A.jpg

zbt0aSf.jpg

p43Tmhk.jpg

Hard to get a good shot of the Spectrum in this lighting but we put 5 coats on. The frame also got some fresh paint

oTgk8Vu.jpg

srC5OOI.jpg

All back together looking brand new

sepRPbl.jpg

The Bronco goes back to the body guy this week. I need to sand down the inner fenderwells and the engine bay fenderwells and get them ready for raptor liner. Then its time for primer and paint!

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
More parts back from powdercoating. Did the interior door handles in satin black, the hood latch and hood strut brackets in gloss black and all the tailgate pieces in satin silver

KgIImpw.jpg

Took out the radiator, fan shroud, master cylinder and hydroboost since we're going to Raptor Liner the engine bay

eWvDtsd.jpg

Same coating we put on the inner fender walls. No more tinny sound

FIWV8A4.jpg

Started scraping the old bedliner off the inner fenderwells as those will get POR15/Raptor Liner as well to match the cage. We're also going to tint the Raptor Liner in the F8 Green and do the inside of the tailgate

a5K3pOD.jpg

The Bronco was a red half cab before it went back to a white/yellow wagon. Also removed all the old tite seal roof flashing "sound deadener" up front and will be gluing in a heat barrier

HkYCBLB.jpg

Got the insides of the doors all cleaned up

nTBh2uz.jpg

5 coats of Raptor Liner in there as well. Amazing how much more solid the doors sound

cgUVekO.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Spent another 8 hours on the Bronco Saturday and had to make some decisions that were a real struggle! The original plan was to paint the underside of the hood and the cowl the same as the body and then do the engine bay in black Raptor Liner and the tailgate in green tinted Raptor Liner. He pointed out the waves and imperfections in the hood/cowl and said Raptor Liner would hide all of that otherwise that's another weekend or two of body work. I thought about it for well over an hour going back and forth and finally decided to do black Raptor Liner on everything. I thought the green Raptor might look a little too cheap plus the roll cage and bumpers are already black Raptor so it matches those.

When we got there he was fiberglassing the fresh air hood vents.

sKCJMcc.jpg

Spent the better part of the morning sanding the engine bay, cowl, hood, tailgate, inner fenderwells and insides of the front fenders with 80 grit. Then we masked everything off to get it ready for Raptor. We also fixed the dent in the drivers side fender which was made by the previous owner to clear the brake booster. We will be going with an Astro Van hydroboost swap so the dent is no longer needed.

AoDPnjj.jpg

dj8V4bJ.jpg

i6458SA.jpg

yvcaEV6.jpg

tCGD5wT.jpg

v1tZejZ.jpg

0sn16wl.jpg

I have upholstered panels that cover the majority of this area but the fenderwells will be visible

KvAFjRs.jpg

2YiO1ci.jpg

ZChrome on the other side and prepping the tailgate and grill for paint

Cmq0iL8.jpg

Dashboard and doors getting primered. I noticed 3 holes in the top of the doors that needed to be welded up. He wasn't too happy about that...

6WTauRp.jpg

Ryder Cup this weekend so he is going to block the tub and get it ready for primer and seam sealer. The following weekend we begin to prime, paint and build!

03'Darin

Established Member
Coming along very nicely!!

Do you have a job?? Besides working on the Bronco? lol How in the world do you get so much work done so quickly?

Impressive level of detail you're going to with all of the work. Can't wait to see it finished!

Jefe

Established Member
Coming along very nicely!!
Do you have a job?? Besides working on the Bronco? lol How in the world do you get so much work done so quickly?
Impressive level of detail you're going to with all of the work. Can't wait to see it finished!
Thanks and yes I do work full time. Up until a couple months ago we were working on this on the weekends and now I have a body/paint guy and a fab guy working on it so the progress has sped up. My Dad and I did all of the tear-down ourselves and have been very active in the entire build. So much so that I need to be there when it goes back together because the 2 guys we hired are clueless on the 30+ bags and 10 boxes of parts we will be bringing over to finish it up! I labeled everything but a lot of it is in my head still. Who needs a manual!

Jefe

Established Member
Had the remote mirror control hole welded up since we aren't using that type of mirror. Had to add holes to the other door as the passenger side never had a mirror. The other 2 holes are for securing the wing windows to the door so we left those.

boPCNjB.jpg

Then I get this video and he is painting!

He did the windshield frame, steering column, insides of the doors and the dashboard

u8S5dRi.jpg

The original Limco PFQ sample had a lot of silver flake in it. He decided to go with Sherwin Williams paint and said the flake has more gold in it and is much nicer

gfFwp75.jpg

xs534PC.jpg

S48mEKE.jpg

Here is the Limco silver flake

sFpOYrx.jpg

and the Sherwin Williams flake. So much detail in this paint!

5aucDNo.jpg

I went over today to pickup the windshield and will be taking it to a glass shop for measurements. We are getting rid of the gasket look and going flush mount

NmroUXm.jpg

Attachments

• EMzopvw.jpg
    EMzopvw.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 2f2IeiW.jpg
    2f2IeiW.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
2 coats of clear on the dashboard and after some wet sanding it shines like crazy! Took this home and literally tucked it into the guest bed since we won't need it until harness install.

QcPW8Lo.jpg

FUnVTrd.jpg

Door hinges painted, waiting on new pins

LKc0Ja7.jpg

Insides of the doors painted with the Second Skin inside

wXuCTsX.jpg

Seam Sealer around the skin

fCluSOU.jpg

Mocked up for final fitment and gap checking

ueWcdmt.jpg

He thinks the Bronco might have been in a collision on the passenger side as we had some hood and door alignment issues. We got the Porta Power out and did some massaging, 5 minutes later we were right where we wanted to be. Amazing how simple some major body work can be with the right tools.

6mynPB1.jpg

We also used it to move the core support over. We caulked and sealed the fresh air vent on the passenger side. One fender on but here's a shot of the now dirty engine bay

OCGSnfQ.jpg

Raptor Liner in the fenders which stiffened them up a little bit

rkus834.jpg

Fiberglass is tough to line up with original steel but after 10+ adjustments and some fenders shims we got the gaps right

0LBwzPg.jpg

He is now blocking the rest of the body. Next weekend is primer, seam sealer and paint!

7ygPtig.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Just ordered a 1 wire 100A alternator, pointless distributor/coil, tailgate and door seals, S10 master cylinder, heater core, new door strikers, and hinge pins. Also got an Astro Van booster and need to figure out how to mount it and get new lines made

Picked up the new flush mounted laminate windshield from the glass shop

eQq6vTg.jpg

Blocking the body

W1iBQDJ.jpg

T9Ix4Wk.jpg

y6OaMhp.jpg

ktJtdn0.jpg

Nice line!

AjVO4Xu.jpg

gq5LUC7.jpg

320 grit and wiped with alcohol. He was very impressed with BD hood

Zy4X9Mn.jpg

Amazing how much this stuff shines. Next is 600 soft pad and then primer, seam sealer and paint on Sunday!

v3OlTus.jpg

7fKXYql.jpg

yOaHQx1.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Paint day! He rolled the Bronco and parts out of the shop and then spent an entire day clearing out tables, chairs and masking off things too heavy to move. He power-washed the ceiling, walls and then the floors and then spent a couple hours masking off the Bronco

e2kDx4G.jpg

cdIctsE.jpg

ANwyw0k.jpg

Floating Bronco

r2QExAK.jpg

Then grey primer for a short time and seam sealer in all her joints

neUnXz5.jpg

He did 2 base coats with Sherwin Williams paint and then sanded the F8 green. Then a 3rd and final coat

ZQMQ5fF.jpg

mTfEYJ3.jpg

obRbFSS.jpg

rIDMQBi.jpg

6WkevAw.jpg

rLKsvaB.jpg

qyvtsNV.jpg

Baking time!

VnpoQfL.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
He did 3 coats of Sherwin Williams CC200 Premium Dynamic Clearcoat. These were taken within minutes of spraying

v48dtmY.jpg

cZUCR6r.jpg

hj2hym8.jpg

tEn1WrH.jpg

jon37rF.jpg

WWEbBUg.jpg

EzgJ4VV.jpg

kw5NWsG.jpg

uUFU4fo.jpg

IAUNooX.jpg

Smooth rails!

yl7gUMZ.jpg

GV4qFnl.jpg

UfbiajP.jpg

Notice how the green changes under artificial lighting

IMJEGk5.jpg

So much fine metal flake!

mZ2I7Uy.jpg

eTnATNF.jpg

NjsbWWQ.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Sanded with 1,500 then 2,000 and 3,000 then polished. Still haven't seen it in the sun. Goes back to the other shop Tuesday so we can take apart and redo the front end, then wiring and interior

Sx2eRMY.jpg

wxUq0Sy.jpg

b8mE1Hz.jpg

ACukFyi.jpg

1OTnPOj.jpg

2u8RMRL.jpg

Relyx3Z.jpg

3pGtwoz.jpg

Attachments

• wxUq0Sy.jpg
    wxUq0Sy.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 369