• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

My Classic Bronco Build: F8 LUBR

Discussion in 'Pics and Videos Buffet' started by Jefe, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member Established Member

UPDATE: If you want to skip ahead first and see it done, here you go: The Bronco is Home!

Im starting to make actual progress on my build so I figured its time to start a build thread!

Little bit of a back story first, my car addiction began about 28 years ago when my Uncle pulled up in this North American Fiberglass Cobra he had built and taken me for a ride. When I got out of the car my leg hit the side pipes and I was hooked! Crying, but hooked!

10430922_10153072002603476_497391725283972239_n.jpg

The Cobra was actually used in the movie Listen To Me with Roy Scheider/Kirk Cameron. It had a Keith Black Hemi and it was parted out after filming. My Uncle bought the shell in Phoenix and had a local shop build a 351.

Fast forward to 2011: My Father and I have always been Ford owners from Mustangs to Cobras to Trucks and Broncos. We always knew we wanted a Classic Bronco and we finally decided to get serious about it. We had the garage built but nothing to occupy it besides daily drivers.

Im scouring Craigslist, ClassicBroncos.com, and eBay for what seemed like 9 months. I bid on a few but missed out on some projects under $4K, really kicking myself now of course. I wind up finding one 30 minutes from my front door. I head over on a Saturday and there it is idling in the driveway. A running fairly complete Bronco! We chat for a few minutes and he tosses me the keys and tells me to take it for a spin. My first time sitting in a Bronco let alone driving it so I took it around the block grinning ear to ear while the exhaust purs! There's nothing quite like looking out the windshield at those front fenders.

uVE1pmn.jpg

I head back and tell him I want my Dad to come check it out as well since this is going to be our project. We head back the following weekend and luckily he still hadn't sold it. We drive it and we're both on the same page. This is ours. We pay the man, load up parts and hop on the frontage road and take it up to 65mph only to realize we need gas. Stop at the gas station and 2 people comment on it, nice Bronco!

He bought it in 2008 and it was a red half cab. He converted it back to a wagon which was a ton of work, painted it in his garage, rebuilt the motor, C4, transfer case, steering box, discs up front, built a bumper, moved the glovebox, suspension, etc. He did a ton of work! Heres what it looked like

vlc3Pix.jpg

Which eventually became this

n50zfRk.jpg

I6Ak0wX.jpg

PGqRGrR.jpg

Tucked away at its new home

oGYN6Gt.jpg

I did not plan on having 2 yellow cars, I just couldn't pass up the Bronco!

9DPXZyb.jpg

Checking out the undercarriage and what needs attention. A few typical leaks but nothing that prevented me from driving it to work that Friday!

FVTe07w.jpg

Picked up some bigger tires/wheels on Craiglist which didn't last long

wPsvNLE.jpg

Over the next 2-3 years we drive it on weekends and have fun with little projects here and there. 2.5" to 3.5" lift, another set of tires and wheels, sold the cage/hard top, bumpers and a ton of parts to buy more parts.

wJFqOFc.jpg

Some light trail running 10 minutes from the house to flex out the new suspension. Wound up gashing a tire on the inner fender

4lWfnui.jpg

ngeZ1q9.jpg

zNkRvtI.jpg

8ydQIzk.jpg

Starter motor went out on me in 2014

Ykhk4uD.jpg

Bought a custom cage and Black Rock Yuma wheels

lefKP3G.jpg

c0FgcSN.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    BOOGIE MAN and AustinJ427 like this.
  2. Jefe

Notice the new plate. LUBR is a Bronco term that means Lifted Uncut Bronco or Left Uncut Bronco. This is how they came from the factory but the majority of owners cut the rear fenders wider for larger tires

uI93sKZ.jpg

Bought some Protofab Rock Solid bumpers, sold the seats, pulled the tanks and this is where we stopped driving it

FNO8S2o.jpg

Did the Bronco script valve covers

yGLChnO.jpg

mzv3i9F.jpg

Ive made it a mission to track down every Bronco owner near me so I had some Bronco brothers over to help with some suspension, driveshaft items. Hopefully this was only the first of many project days to come as these guys were much more knowledgeable than me!

zYif0PL.jpg

H4crBj4.jpg

Tp4ShAe.jpg

7YJvqEa.jpg

Found some 2005 Mustang seats at a junkyard, bought a fold and tumble from Toms and a Rampage center console off Amazon

5HtbCZR.jpg

z3i5EmB.jpg

59p2Aid.jpg

The front seats sit very low, recline and tilt so I can get in the back from both sides. Bought the Wildhorses seat box for an easy passenger seat mount and I will probably mount a marine amp under it for the speakers

jQNpDvr.jpg

Bought some fiberglass interior quarter panels and already had aluminum door panels. Tried my hardest to find matching material to the fold n tumble and its impossible. So I took them all down to an upholstery shop who wrapped them in two tone vinyl.

erxUXwg.jpg

6mARmX3.jpg

I have some extremely strong neodymium magnets that will go on the back of the inner panels and Im planning on putting 6.5" speakers in those up front. I wanted to be able to pull the panels back so I can hide tools/parts in the rear sections

10NhLdO.jpg

Had them cut the Mustang seat head rests down to match the fold n tumble height a little better

MDHDzKY.jpg

ZKtzRpl.jpg

Sent the speedometer out to Kevin at Classy Gauges who did a fantastic job. Speedo got a full rebuild

B0tvy82.jpg

KHdugvq.jpg

3. Jefe

Ordered a Bronco Design fiberglass mid rise hood

pZgxBRn.jpg

hNyaniB.jpg

Decided the old dash was beyond repair so we ordered a Bronco Hut Dash

NtSUSkw.jpg

ONRMIZ8.jpg

J4P679P.jpg

jmqypwi.jpg

7LtnH24.jpg

Found my first bit of rust behind the speedo. You can see the original Limestone Poly Green as well

ckNZDcS.jpg

Ordered a Kenwood double din stereo and some tire tread knobs and have been playing the orientation for months

FaGFJGK.jpg

QZeNh2Y.jpg

L9NmkO6.jpg

Leaning towards this setup below if I can get my heater working again. Its been capped off for 7 years. No plans for rock lights or any other accessories, just a nice clean dash with upgraded knobs and stereo

KN41yOL.jpg

Removed the windshield, tailgate, grill and fenders and sent them to a blaster.

yLhz3Ht.jpg

lChEyg1.jpg

No rust and minimal damage to those panels

2MQ4FVm.jpg

Also took the cage in and had the powdercoating removed. He smoothed a section of it up top where it made contact with the door frame

8DFPgmY.jpg

I also had him add some hoops to the Protofab front bumper

yzHyg2V.jpg

iny48oL.jpg

HdwpGIt.jpg

4. Jefe

Did the "Alice" turn signal mod which are much smaller than the '69+ turn signals.

WSIJwUj.jpg

Old signals:

kGXc68J.jpg

Figured we could sand the rest of the body to save on labor costs. That was a tough, messy job with 2 small orbital sanders. Never again...

X8Zzw63.jpg

Doors appear to be from a different body as they only had yellow on them. The body has the original limestone poly green, red and 2 different yellows on it as well as numerous layers of primer/filler

TROVDuL.jpg

Had an amazing fabricator come by and roll the rear fender lips for some more tire clearance. He wound up doing it by hand which was an art form to watch. Rob Cochran from Bonzer Customs (Bonzer Customs (@bonzercustoms) • Instagram photos and videos)

VuTv1XN.jpg

I cant seem to find an after photo but here is what they looked like before. That edge is now completely tucked so it won't slash the tires like it has in the past

rlqrqpF.jpg

NR3C9ZN.jpg

Sent a bunch of pieces to rydog1130 (www.lubr4x4.com) to blast and powdercoat satin silver to match the door handles, mirrors and wipers. He did an awesome job and the price could not be touched in town

i2zBeCk.jpg

5O4391N.jpg

More sanding and not finding any rust :D

TMj70KN.jpg

QajojkU.jpg

edtpVTK.jpg

One last little section to clean off and then its naked! Still shocked how good of shape the body is in but its been in Arizona for a long time

vze0zn7.jpg

So we're digging all the filler out of the rear body seam. The prior owner filled them in and they obviously cracked but we wondered why he did that. The pick Im using to clean the seam out gets caught in a piece of metal in that lower section. Im real confused so I get the sander back out and find this

17i9C4F.jpg

Hello first major issue! What a horrible fix haha. The body side is completely rotted out but the taillight panel is pretty solid with just some surface rust

sUJu60R.jpg

So Rob Cochran calls me back up while we're working on this patch and has a body/paint guy he wants to bring by. 30 minutes later he shows up and takes a good look over it and gives us a price that was hard to believe. Basically told us to stop right where we were, drop the Bronco off and we will get a finished product back. He even agreed to knock the price down if we came out and helped get it prepped which is exactly what I was wanting to do. So we got all the parts out, laid out a build plan and had the Bronco over to him the following weekend. Shannon Schierer of Schierer Customs (Behance). He has done all sorts of classic vehicles and also works with investors to make paint shops profitable.

My new garage mate is a '71 429 Torino

U6P9dJq.jpg

There'a also a Scout in there from time to time which is going to be an amazing rig

2aQ9J47.jpg

So we head out the first weekend and we get right to work sanding the door jams, the cowl and tight spots we didn't have the right tools for. This guy has every possible body tool you could ever need. He welded up every hole in the bedrails as we wanted a smooth look

pTu3DxA.jpg

l1GF4iy.jpg

5. Jefe

We welded sleeves into the frame to beef them up for the rock solid bumpers

jzHT3tJ.jpg

07nhT30.jpg

Original green and a teaser...

EjUQ5eW.jpg

POR15 on the fenders, cage and bumpers

PIlxuFB.jpg

xs6EV7x.jpg

JhVSFlr.jpg

Raptor Liner done

NuhjhMr.jpg

f2k1wUo.jpg

He cut out the rusty quarter section and instead of fabbing a piece I just ordered a new quarter. That took almost 3 weeks to show up

sKO5OLG.jpg

iSQcqL8.jpg

He was pretty impressed with the quality (CJ Pony Parts) I have 90% of a new quarter in case anyone needs a piece!

QUlihGp.jpg

Also cut out the rust behind the speedo in the cowl and formed in two new pieces

mAM3Pr7.jpg

Tw0LyiY.jpg

6zX1LcC.jpg

v8xAwhu.jpg

o2wKxhw.jpg

Spent an entire day getting the bed liner and paint off the cowl which was much messier than sanding the body. We were filthy from head to toe

MyvLztB.jpg

t2nNlUS.jpg

Then we started pulling some dents out with this amazing tool. It arcs itself to the body and then the fulcrum handle pops the dents out. It also had several different types of attachments. He could not believe how solid that rear taillight panel was. He beat the crap out of with this rubbed tipped air hammer and it didnt budge one bit.

115ZQHE.jpg

BOOGIE MAN, merkyworks and ON D BIT like this.
  6. Jefe

Dad and I got to weld for the first time, sealed up the antenna holes. It wasn't pretty...

r5k4OdN.jpg

Shannon welding up some grill holes

Ee9hTJT.jpg

Filled in the hood openings for a smooth look

yUVN1fm.jpg

Cut out the fresh air vents, still needs some sanding

7tl7N1U.jpg

Attached the fenders to the grill and put it back on to check fitment/gaps. That was tough to put back together! We might do it in separate pieces after paint goes on

262ixXB.jpg

Doors on

rjyBixl.jpg

Fabbed the hood strut brackets to the fenders

ojV2aTM.jpg

9Tl4YV1.jpg

Shannon started smoothing out the bedrails and cut the seam line back in up top. Old school methods and does everything by hand

NGHnBUK.jpg

I picked up a Bronco cutout from member sk1nw4lk3r a while back. We knew we wanted the Bronco green but, like the wheels, we spent several months looking at options before both agreeing on one. Late 2017 I noticed a new color option on the Demons/Hellcats called F8 Green(pfq paint code) and I knew right away this was our color. I stopped by a local shop who mixed me up a sample and figured we might as well spray the Bronco! Before:

yWlqDyX.jpg

During:

62j64Sc.jpg

And after. There is a lot of flake in it so depending on the light source it can get very light or very dark

Ww83xwi.jpg

mveSVbs.jpg

Shannon found his classic paint book and they had the original F8 paint sample from the late 60s early 70s Plymouths/Dodges. It is a very close match but has more metallic in it

AXK849L.jpg

1715046110.jpg

Here you can see how light affects it

4176f343c4b08a4253558a00ee23f27a.jpg

Picked up a Spectre air cleaner and a new passenger air vent from Toms

TXJwC04.jpg

and a 14" Forever Sharp Steering Wheel

N1nqHKC.jpg

We had always noticed the body or bumpers leaning slightly to one side and Shannon noticed the passenger side frame rail was slightly tweaked. I was on vacation and he said I need to take it to a frame shop to get straightened. Great...

n4gYiIF.jpg

30 minutes later he said, "nevermind, I fixed it." He put a bar through the bumper holes and was able to get it back into spec. Now have an even line between the body and bumper and the bumper fits better

PKRfnZE.jpg

7. Khan

Khan Active Member Established Member

Great job

8. Jefe

New quarter piece welded in last weekend

NQOAxJa.jpg

Cleaned up the tailight panel as well

DXTMLVV.jpg

TGkn5MP.jpg

XzueEPV.jpg

He has spent a lot of hours getting the doors to close smoothly and the gaps/lines right

S7vvgoU.jpg

uKfva2f.jpg

ZlQwUOd.jpg

He also took apart the hinges and got those working smoothly

vfpIAvP.jpg

I was up in Oregon 2 weeks ago and just so happened to be within 30 minutes of Toms so we stopped by to pick up a couple things. Wound up picking up 13 small items and getting a mini tour of the property. Wish I could have bought more but still had 2 flights to get them home

9VioaG9.jpg

YdCFGNe.jpg

qKra4pr.jpg

wKdCtB8.jpg

Claussen ZChrome ready to go on which is a non-shrinking rust preventer/primer/filler

ujPUm9p.jpg

s10l5Ci.jpg

aOiCRUS.jpg

6mGdKP2.jpg

ulu4mgf.jpg

h0kOwe4.jpg

XWIwgvx.jpg

AustinJ427 likes this.
  9. Jefe

That is where we're at today ^ He is going to block it this Saturday and then we take the Bronco over to his buddy's shop where we will tear apart the undercarriage, degrease it, clean it and then second skin everything visible. Also going to cut the dash holes, see if the heater works and rip the old wiring harness out as we decided to rewire it with the American Autowire kit. Picked up some dual wiper motors as well. Then it goes back to Shannon for primer/seam sealer and its ready for paint

Shannon has been making progress on the Scout build as well:

36995172_1016024028556836_3216376887714512896_n.jpg

36993134_2102894266615662_8478418214290718720_n.jpg

36148274_497804897321459_6978756290411495424_n.jpg

36976673_2308113082552033_2175524733561339904_n.jpg

37384491_1699652326769559_7802735187644645376_n.jpg

10. helloWorld

helloWorld Active Member Established Member

I looked through the entire thread. I am happy to see your devotion to this project and it looks like you guys are doing some quality work!

11. Zemedici

Zemedici Dammit Brad Established Member

wow man, looks fantastic! Quality work.

Jefe likes this.
  12. jrandy

jrandy Well-Known Member Established Member

Wow, what an amazing build. I'll bellowing forward to watching things progress.

Jefe likes this.
  13. AustinJ427

AustinJ427 Well-Known Member Established Member

10/10

M240Bravo and Jefe like this.
  14. limitedex

limitedex Love me some SVT Established Member

@Jefe awesome thread sir. I have a 96 FSB. Love watching all progressions of bkos.

Jefe likes this.
  15. ON D BIT

ON D BIT Finish First Established Member

F8 Green for the Win!!

Jefe likes this.
  16. IamRacerX

IamRacerX No brand loyalty rhetoric here. Established Member

Sweet build! Although I’m not a Bronco guy, I got much respect!

Jefe likes this.
  17. Sonic605hp

Sonic605hp Ginormous Member Established Member

Winning!

Jefe likes this.
  18. TooFast98Cobra

TooFast98Cobra #1 Vent Shade Installer Established Member

Badass!

Jefe likes this.
  19. traktrbeam

traktrbeam Rabid Photog Premium Member Established Member

Nice projects you have going on!