My car never had "the fix"

CobraKalas

Established Member
After going to a Mustang Dyno 2 weeks ago and pumping out 243rwhp and 249rwtq, I was quite disappointed.

went to the ford dealer to have them run the VIN, saw all services from previous two owners and nothing of which looked to have anything to do with "the fix" or any recall for that matter. I feel ripped off. ha

WHAT CAN I DO?! obviously i could have my lower intake ported and get a aftermarket catback, and feel a HUGE difference from what my car is and what it should have been.

from what I recall, Ford stopped performing the recall service years ago, so thats pretty much out of the question.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
im pretty sure all the "fix" was, was something to do with exhaust and intake dude. dont quote me on it though.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Get a ported intake, aftermarket exhaust, and a tune and you'll be ahead of where a "fixed" car was.

TMoney

Established Member
yeah, I think thats all it was, and it might have include a PCM flash or something too. There is an article on SVTP showing the dyno run before the fix and after, and it ran lower numbers after it had the fix. I'm pretty sure it dyno'd 266 rwhp before, and somewhere around 263 after. Thats why I don't feel so bad that my '99 didn't get the fix either. But, I would be a little ticked too if my car dyno'd 243 rwhp, and no I havn't had mine done yet. I just did a quick search to see if I could find it but i couldn't. Anyone else know about the article I'm referring to??

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Is there a dot on the drivers side front of your intake manifold????

Like this one
enginebay02.jpg

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
their proof of fix is really weird cause that is not completely reliable... i have checked with SVT twice and each time they tell me my car has had the fix but according to the dots, i have not. I have no dot or mark anywhere that i have been able to find nor any different stickers anywhere.

sorry to hear about you not having it but like others have said you can more than fix it with the simple bolt ons like intake tune and exhaust.

also from what i have read it the fix consisted of a different serpentine belt routing system, corrected midpipe (and catback??), acid dipped or extrude honed intake manifold (dont rember the color for each), and a PCM reflash. Depending on where you read up on it, certian articles dont mention some of these, others do, i dont believe any one specific article mentioned all of the above, rather just a variation of it.

Kcobra99

Established Member
I didn't have the fix when I got my Cobra, dynoed 248hp. The SVT guy that I called said they quit doing the recall and didn't have any parts left. So, a full exaust and a cold air intake later and it dynoed at 283hp. I'd try doing the exhaust first and if that doesn't get a lot of ponys back, port the intake and get a tune.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
TMoney said:
yeah, I think thats all it was, and it might have include a PCM flash or something too. There is an article on SVTP showing the dyno run before the fix and after, and it ran lower numbers after it had the fix. I'm pretty sure it dyno'd 266 rwhp before, and somewhere around 263 after. Thats why I don't feel so bad that my '99 didn't get the fix either. But, I would be a little ticked too if my car dyno'd 243 rwhp, and no I havn't had mine done yet. I just did a quick search to see if I could find it but i couldn't. Anyone else know about the article I'm referring to??

I'm sorry my friend, but I don't feel this is the case. Bone stock after the fix my car put down 278 rwhp. I think they made about 260 to 265rwhp before the fix. This would put them around 304 to 310 to the flywheel. My numbers put me at about 325 which is about right where it should be. I will find the mustangs and fast fords write up on this after work.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Did anyone else notice that the thread starter said it was on a mustang dyno????

TMoney

Established Member
I'm sorry my friend, but I don't feel this is the case. Bone stock after the fix my car put down 278 rwhp. I think they made about 260 to 265rwhp before the fix. This would put them around 304 to 310 to the flywheel. My numbers put me at about 325 which is about right where it should be. I will find the mustangs and fast fords write up on this after work.
I know it seems rediculas, but I read the article about 3 or 4 times before I even bought my car. I wish I could find the damn thing.

Yeah I noticed he said mustang dyno. Does that mean his numbers are going to be even lower??

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
TMoney said:
I know it seems rediculas, but I read the article about 3 or 4 times before I even bought my car. I wish I could find the damn thing.

Yeah I noticed he said mustang dyno. Does that mean his numbers are going to be even lower??

mustang dynos typicaly show lower numbers than Dyno jets

for instance my car put down 438RWHP on a mustang Dyno and 468RWHP on a dyno Jet with the same mods and tune (roughly 7% difference in my case)

Last edited:

SVECobraR

Established Member
i put down 263rwhp before the fix, and got it done in april of 05 at my ford dealer. I didn't get it dynod after that but after full exhaust, jlt intake, and P&P intake i put down 320rwhp. Not to much of an improvement but not to bad either.

99CobraRC

Established Member
My car didn't get the fix either. I called 2 ford dealers and had no luck.

Here is the post my Bro made back when I bought the car. Help!!! Brother's 99 didn't get the "fix"

So far I've been lurking and reading what to do next for my car LOL.

I got Ford 410 Gears, JLT Ram air intake, MGW Shifter, SCT Tuner, Bassani Mid-Length Headeers, Bassani Catted X, FR500 Catback, March Pulley MCH-1158, OE Saleeen Style Rims 9x18 front 10x18 rear, KDW2 tires 265/35/18 front, 295/35/18 back.

I still want to get the car lowered, sub frames, ported/polished intake, and a dyno tune. Then I'll call my fix+ complete for now...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread