my car feels like a boat..........?

jake01cobra

Established Member
well long story short........i was doing a pull on the the freeway and as soon as i put on the brakes i noticed the car going alll over the place.........NOT COOL.....:nonono: and i test drove it today and it seems that street driving is fine but freeway driving the car is all over the place.........IT SUCKS........:nonono: ive never had a problem like this on the cobra before so im pretty bummed......:(

it felt like i had no control of the car..........:??:

what do you guys think the problem could be........?

any help will be greatly appreciated.......:beer:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
are you driving a new camaro? oh wait... nvm i just saw the section this was posted

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Are you loose in the steering or what?

Check the torque on your half shaft to hub retaining nuts. The drivers side can easily spin itself loose over time from the left (loosening) rotation of that wheel. The passenger side usually tightens up, as you might imagine, from that wheel spinning to the right.

jake01cobra

Established Member

Check the torque on your half shaft to hub retaining nuts. The drivers side can easily spin itself loose over time from the left (loosening) rotation of that wheel. The passenger side usually tightens up, as you might imagine, from that wheel spinning to the right.

I'm slightly loose n the steering, when turning to the right...

thanks, i'll check that out today

Last edited:

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I'm having a similar problem. I tightened the rear passenger hub fastener and now it's not as squirmy but I'm getting a squealing noise. Pretty sure my bearing are bad, yours might be the same.

jake01cobra

Established Member
I'm having a similar problem. I tightened the rear passenger hub fastener and now it's not as squirmy but I'm getting a squealing noise. Pretty sure my bearing are bad, yours might be the same.

I've noticed a squealing noise from the rear passenger side wheel, but I thought I might have needed new brake pads...... but now I'm thinking it could be a bearing

Would a loose hub fastener cause the car to be squirmy? and how? please elaborate, I'm still learning

The problem feels like the it's in the front end but can anybody explain how the problem is coming from the rear?

Thanks

94CobraPace

Established Member
Could be inner and or outer tie rod ends? Along with rear end bushings, bearings or half shaft to hub.
Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at inner and outer tie rod end, at least narrow it down to front or back.
How about a loose nut behind the wheel? Kidding.

jake01cobra

Established Member
Could be inner and or outer tie rod ends? Along with rear end bushings, bearings or half shaft to hub.
Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at inner and outer tie rod end, at least narrow it down to front or back.
How about a loose nut behind the wheel? Kidding.

thanks for the tips.......:beer:
im going to lift the car up and look at everything,hopefully the problem is something obvious and not something hard to see or find..........:)

im also hoping it could be the struts since i have 140,000 on the chassis.......

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
If it swerved when the brakes were applied then, my first thought is you may have a sticky piston or two in one of the front calipers and they need rebuilding.

jake01cobra

Established Member
If it swerved when the brakes were applied then, my first thought is you may have a sticky piston or two in one of the front calipers and they need rebuilding.

Brakes aren't pressed when it happens... just a minor bump or a lane change is enough for it to start swaying

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Have you lifted the car up yet? With the wheels off the ground, grab each wheel w/hands at 3 O'clock & 9 O'clock. Push at 3 while pulling at 9 and vice-versa, alternating quickly. Then do the same at 12 & 6. Let us know what you find.

jake01cobra

Established Member
Update:
I just installed a new set off tokico shocks and struts and took the car for a test drive
Unfortunately the problem still seems to be there

When I put on the brakes, the car goes straight with no problems/ or abnormal noises

BUT, when I do a pull the car feels like the front end is all over the place = No Change from prior to the strut/shock install

I know everything is tight because I made sure of it.... the only thing that is not down to my liking (although it is tight) is the top strut bolt on the tower
Here's a picture:

2012-07-20194814.jpg

I expected to see at least 5-6 threads but I can barely see 2.. I took it to a shop to try and bring it lower/tighten.... and they said that the size of the bolt is a lot bigger than the stock one so that it should have enough grip as is (full grip capacity)
DO you guys think that is normal?

I noticed while I was under the car, the driver side lower control arm bushing looked pretty beat up but on the passenger side lower control arm bushing, it looked to be in much better shape.....
My question is: would the driver side lower control arm bushing being bad, would that cause the front end of the car to feel loose?

I did the test mentioned above about moving the tire in the air side to side up/down to see if there was any play.... and there was no play on both side...

Any help is greatly appreciated ... I'm pretty frustrated because i was sure the strut/shock change would fix this problem :fm::cuss:

This problem happened suddenly, the car never felt this way before

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Sounds like you have a case of freeway "wandering"
Does the wandering only occur when the brakes are applied?
If it wanders without the brakes being applied it could be a few things, i'll list a few.
-You have staggered wheels and the car is following the lines/tire wear/or your tire pressure is off.
-Your allignment is off. If you have to much +caster the car will go where ever it pleases.
-your steering gear(in your rack) may be worn or your steering shaft(intermediate shaft) may be worn out.

Now if it only happens when you apply the brakes it would be more of a pull to one side than a "wander". Causes for this may include
-The caliper piston is siezed or sticking on one side, lack of lubrication.
-You have a brake fluid leak on one of your brake lines so only one side is getting hydraulic pressure.
To pinpoint this problem, find a straight road with noone on it, let go of the wheel and apply the brakes. If the car pulls hard to one side you know only that side is compensating for the other. Inspect the system and verify. Again alot of the problems could be due to tire wear/size/psi. I would check that out first.

hope this helped. If you have any other questions shoot away.
-Mitch

jake01cobra

Established Member
thanks everyone for all the great feedback..........:beer::rockon::burnout:

fortunately in my case it ended up being the rear passenger side irs hub bolts.......:rolling:That bolt was extremely loose so i tightened it real tight and just to be safe i went ahead and tightened the driver side as well.......the driver side bolt wasn't as loose but still needed tightening......

took it for a test drive and right away i noticed the car to be more stable.....did a pull and the car gripped the ground like i have never felt before.....IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

but unfortunately there is a loud noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel so right away i knew that i was going to need to replace the bearings.......:nonono:

but all is well the car feels amazing never the less.........:rockon:

thanks again guys for the help......:rolling:

snakeraper11b

Established Member

Too bad you didnt take this advice sooner. Might have saved you a nice chunk of change.....

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
thanks everyone for all the great feedback..........:beer::rockon::burnout:

fortunately in my case it ended up being the rear passenger side irs hub bolts.......:rolling:That bolt was extremely loose so i tightened it real tight and just to be safe i went ahead and tightened the driver side as well.......the driver side bolt wasn't as loose but still needed tightening......

took it for a test drive and right away i noticed the car to be more stable.....did a pull and the car gripped the ground like i have never felt before.....IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

but unfortunately there is a loud noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel so right away i knew that i was going to need to replace the bearings.......:nonono:

but all is well the car feels amazing never the less.........:rockon:

thanks again guys for the help......:rolling:

No problemo. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread