my car "eatoned" my finger, a definite must read!

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
my car "eatoned" my finger, a defininite must read! *UPDATE*

I just was discharged from the ER because my eaton degloved my middle finger. (if you don't know what that means look it up!) More info and pics to come first thing in the morning!

*UPDATE*

OK so here's the story. I'm down at Camp Pendleton for CTM and I run into joey, an old high school buddy who happens to be a marine now. So he's got an Evo8 and says we should take em out on the highway, so we do and he loves the sound of the cobra and yada yada yada. So we pull of the highway and park in some grocery store parking lot. We pop the hoods, cars still running, and take a look. I notice some bird poop on the bumper down by the snake so I grab a rag and go to wipe it up, next thing I know I'm on the ground. It was all so fast I don't exactly know what happened, but putting 2 and 2 together I figure that somehow the belt snagged the rag and snatched my hand along with it. The second it started to pull my hand in I pulled away but it managed to pull my middle finger into the front on my 2.76 pully where all the bolts are and then pulled my middle two fingers between the idler pully. Long story short it pulled about 2 inches off the muscle tissue and nail completly off the bone. I ended up getting a lot of tissue from the inside cut out, and a little portion of the bone and flexor tendon grinded down because there was a lot of rubber from the belt coated on it ;-(. I got 6 internal sutures pulling the tissue back together and 16 on the outside. The doc said I should regain full range of motion but since he took out so much internal tissue that I will most likely lose the majority of the feeling in the underside of the finger.

My buddy has a bunch of pictures from the debacle but he left for Korea this morning, so ill try to get the ones off my phone loaded up some how.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh man! How did it happen?

I chose to not look at any Googled pictures, but did find out exactly what it is. Wow, I really feel for you. That must have been an absolutely horrible experience. Did they/do they have to do any skin grafting?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Without googling, I would imagine that you de-skinned your finger?? What exactly happened?

Double-D

'03 10th Anniv. Cobra Cpe
Established Member
Without googling, I would imagine that you de-skinned your finger?? What exactly happened?

^^^^Bet in had to do something about hands near belt with engine running.

Last thing I would do when getting out of ER with hand injury is to type a thread on a forum. OP- Hope you heal up soon!!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Wow, hopefully you still have full use of your finger because it sounds like you did some serious damage.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Ahh, I've done the same thing once. But, not my finger. My whole body into a post hole digger (of course I did not deglove my body, more or less just comparing the process of doing something stupid that causes traumatic injury and leaves you with a single thought "what was I thinking!". It cut me up, stripped me naked out of three layers of clothes and all. Good times.

No joke, I have a carnal fear of anything that spins now, from drill bits, pulleys, drive shafts, you name it.

evolve

Established Member
Ahh, I've done the same thing once. But, not my finger. My whole body into a post hole digger. Cut me up, stripped me naked out of three layers of clothes and all. Good times.

No joke, I have a carnal fear of anything that spins now, from drill bits, pulleys, drive shafts, you name it.

Holy S**t!

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Googled it also..Ouch! Sorry to hear bro and hope you recover well. Give us some more details when you can.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
no thanks on the pics! go clean off that pulley now haha

j/k feel better

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I do NOT wanna google it lol! But sorry to hear man!

+1 but it sounds like that is why ford put a pulley guard on our cars from the factory!! damn

i once worked with a guy who was missing one of his fingers because it got caught in an automotive pulley

Users who are viewing this thread