My alternator cooling mod.. With Pics.

futureSVT

Established Member
alright ive seen some ducting done before to the intake but i decided to give the alternator some cool air..

I found this air duct hose at orileys. its a gates hose #23848 it sells for 6.48 ish a foot but my local store decided to sell me the full 6 feet for the price of one. :banana:

I had to cut a hole in the plastic divider that goes between the alternator and the wheel well. I think it turned out well. I know the hose looks like its just sitting on the edge but its zipped tied good.

with the left over hose i decided to duct the passenger side but i decided not to let the hose sit right up on the air filter. as i dont want it to throw off the maf counts its about 6-8 inches away..

I know the pics arent great.. ill get some better ones with my camera later
IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 65

Tractionless1

Established Member
Doing the same but with my spare brake ducting. I will attach to the HE screen next to my Fluidyne HE as my brake duct provisions in the stock bumper cover are already being used. I'll post pics as well. Using a 4" alt. pulley which has holes in it just like an idler, hoping it runs cooler.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I would consider integrating a screen to protect the belt and the alternator. Some serious debris comes through my brake cooling ducts.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I would consider integrating a screen to protect the belt and the alternator. Some serious debris comes through my brake cooling ducts.

Good tip!

op, thanks for the part number! I have been looking for some decent black ducting to do both sides on my car for awhile now. I just didn't want the cheap dryer type duct like they sell at home centers. I'm going to see if my local Napa carries this, since they carry Gates belts, and hoses already.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
Good tip!

op, thanks for the part number! I have been looking for some decent black ducting to do both sides on my car for awhile now. I just didn't want the cheap dryer type duct like they sell at home centers. I'm going to see if my local Napa carries this, since they carry Gates belts, and hoses already.

Let me know if you get a napa listing on that, as there are no orileys around me

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
What a great idea.I've got some ducting around here somewhere, I'lll try this when I put the auto in.

futureSVT

Established Member
sweet....notice any difference, by chance? or just mainly a preventative safety measure?

Thanks everyone.. i havent yet drove the car and datalogged it but its more of a safety thing since (knock on wood) my alternator is still kickin.

Good idea about the screen ill have to fab something up. Also i put some small holes in the hose at the lowest point in case some water got in. the car isnt my DD and i try not to get stuck driving in the rain..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Came out pretty nice. A few people have done this mod over the past year or so due to the number of alternators failing (in part due to excessive heat). Hopefully yours will give your alternator a nice increase in its life.

pkarol1

Established Member
good idea. i might try this, seeing i had my cobra for less than a year and i'm on my 3rd alternator LOL

Users who are viewing this thread