My 96 GT runs like $h!t

svtmesoon

Established Member
I cleaned the K&N about 2 months ago, and it lost power. I figured I put too much oil on it. I recleaned it and went lighter on the oil, and it was the same. They(K&N)say that it will run better when the filter is a little dirty, they say "let the dirt work for you". This makes no sense to me, I always thought that more air=more horse power. Anyway, I thought by now that it would be "dirty" enough to regain my lost power, but no. It really seems like I lost 20 to 30 HP. When I used to powerbrake it, the car instantly was up in the high revs, now, the tires begin turning slowly, and it takes 4 or 5 seconds to rev up. It is slower in every aspect than it was before the "clean". I've checked for blockage, leaves, other. Everything seems alright, but it's not.
Anybody have a clue what's up with my car?

Thanks, Ric

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You may want to clean the electronics of the MAF off. If you got too much oil in the filter, then it was probably sucked into the MAF as well.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Could be just as simple as needing a basic tune up.

Might want to try resetting the computer too by disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

Good luck!

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
Could be just as simple as needing a basic tune up.

Might want to try resetting the computer too by disconnecting the negative battery terminal.

Good luck!

yeah, what he said :lol:

does that work on the fox-bodys too? or just the newer SN95's?

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by Performer5Oh

does that work on the fox-bodys too? or just the newer SN95's?

Any car with a computer can be reset. The older computers seem to take a little longer to reset, so it may run rough for a few days, but then it will be fine.

Remember, always start with the simplest things first.

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by Blackgeetee

Any car with a computer can be reset. The older computers seem to take a little longer to reset, so it may run rough for a few days, but then it will be fine.

Remember, always start with the simplest things first.

Thanks!

Blown306

Established Member
Yup...clean the MAF and reset the computer. If you over oiled the filter I can almost guarantee the MAF sensors are covered with it. To speed things up resetting the PCM, cycle the key to run for a few seconds and press the brake. This will help discharge everything instead of waiting.

The car will probably run rough for a little while, usually a 20min drive is all it takes for the EEC to re-learn the adaptive controls.

You can also reset the computer by pulling the fuse in the power distribution box under the hood...luck.

Users who are viewing this thread