• Cobalt

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • blow my tranny

Votes: 5 5.8%

• Total voters

USMCFieldMP

.:Longhorn Racing:.
Established Member
man i wish my highschool would have hosted a ****ing drag event at the track! man i would have been on that like flies on shit.i would think they wouldnt do somethin like that cuz it encourages kids to drive their cars like a bat out of hell? oh well. That really is awesome though. YOu go to a great school!

No... you are wrong in your thinking.

The HS does not host it. Well, not here at least.

Here in Ohio, Norwalk Raceway just has a track day called "High School Nationals". It actually has nothing to do with your specific HS.

high%20school.JPG

You right your School name on your window... and you "represent" that school.

Last edited:

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
sorry i blanked out and forgot to check and i appologize if you didn't get to go because of me. It was at Pacific Raceways and no it wasn't hosted by my school but by the track. And it was bracket racing. I had a blast my first run was a 14.42 @ 97, knocked a tenth off and trapped 3mph higher than last time. I launched higher in rpm's on the second and did a one wheel wonder for a 15.1. My third and fourth runs were in the competition I dialed in a 14.0. On the 3rd I raced a silverado and caught it at the end of the track. The fourth race most of my friends saw coming and anticipated a great race when the official chose a s2000 to race me. I had him by half a length all the way down the track until I hit around 5200 rpm in 3rd and I heard him hit 4th and he vtec'd pass me by inches. He was modified, 2 fat cans and he was wearing a helmet. I should have hit 4th! or slapped 3:55's on before I left. My friends said our times lit up at the same time but he won. I looked at my timeslip and he dialed a 14.45 and ran a 14.455 :shrug: I was only .02 off my dial but he was .005 off :beer: great driver and race!! My reaction agaisnt the s2000 was a .093.

BTW my friend with the cobalt never showed, and he's selling his car on friday and is resisting to race :dw: oh well I guess he's afraid

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
If he did race you and can shift worth a damn... he WILL beat you from a roll FOR SURE, judging by the ET/Trap you just posted. A good driver would beat those times from a Dig... but more than likely, he would actually give you a good run... IF he could drive at least moderately.

Either way, good times!

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
If he did race you and can shift worth a damn... he WILL beat you from a roll FOR SURE, judging by the ET/Trap you just posted. A good driver would beat those times from a Dig... but more than likely, he would actually give you a good run... IF he could drive at least moderately.

Either way, good times!

I was dissapointed by my times. I think the dr's made my trac-lok worse. I had to be easy off the line and get the same 60 foots as with bald continentals. If I had posi, I could have actually put the dr's to the test, but I know he can't launch or shift. When we both raced on intake, off the line all I heard was his wheel-hop and uncontrollable need to keep it at wot, spinning...and from a roll every powershift I hit I fricken pulled as had a good full second interval between hearing the s/c whine

RCMPSVT

Established Member
My GF cobalt on the HWY is a handfull, they are ery quick once they are rolling. From a dig you will prob win cause the cobalts wheel hop bad but from a roll you are in trouble. MY GF beat my buddys L on the HWY ( I couldnt believe it but I was sitting shotgun and to this day he wants a rematch)

Last edited:

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
My GF cobalt on the HWY is a handfull, they are ery quick once they are rolling. From a dig you will prob win cause the cobalts wheel hop bad but from a roll you are in trouble. MY GF beat my buddys L on the HWY ( I couldnt believe it but I was sitting shotgun and to this day he wants a rematch)

TrueStory.com

RCMPSVT

Established Member
TrueStory.com

I prob couldnt duplicate the win against the L again but lets just say he started way to high of a mph and well being light and manual has its advantages at a certain speed.

Disclaimer: In no way am I saying a cobalt is faster than a L but merely saying cobalts are fast on the HWY

USMCFieldMP

Established Member
I prob couldnt duplicate the win against the L again but lets just say he started way to high of a mph and well being light and manual has its advantages at a certain speed.

Disclaimer: In no way am I saying a cobalt is faster than a L but merely saying cobalts are fast on the HWY

I don't even know what car you are talking about when you say "the L". I can only assume Lincoln, haha. But I'm pretty sure that is wrong.

But I was agreeing with the "They Roll out on the HWY" part. That is what the Cobalt does best... ROLL RACE.

The first gear in the car is ridiculously short and therefore is a crippling factor when it comes to Drag Racing. 1st gear ends right around 35mph (but the short gear combined with the instant tq from the S/C usually means that your wheels are gonna be spinning or playing hopscotch)... and 2nd gear power range really begins at 40mph. It's the dumbest thing ever. All the gears in the car are pretty long... except for first. I rev to 7k and shift at these mph:

1st- 38
2nd - 75
3rd - 115
4th - 150

But as far as roll racing one... 45mph (2nd gear) and 80mph (3rd) are FREAKIN ACE for roll racing in my SS.

I'd really like to fricken race one! Don't care what the outcome I was looking forward to my friends' but he's a wuss

Doesn't Montana have an Interstate with no Speed Limit? I thought I remembered reading about that some where.

If you wanna meet me there, it can be arranged. But bring some friends... to make it worth my trip! :rockon:

I'll check around my Cobalt Forums and see if I know anyone that lives near you that would be willing to rumble. I'll find some with light mods, if any... I won't be cruel.

----------------

Just for the hey of it... here's a video of me and a Procharged GT. I got waxed pretty good... haha.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/USMCFieldMP/Race Vids/?action=view&current=Mar112007-007.flv

And this is me and Cobrakid2006 in his SN95 Cobra w/ exhaust and 3.73's. He was fairly new to the car's stock (long) shifter. This is before I got my new tune...

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/...w&current=USMCFieldMPvsPaulWhiteCobra-Dig.flv

We did a roll race not too long ago, I won by... maybe 4 or 5, IIRC. It's been a month. We'll do a good dig here as soon as my car is back on the road... he should give me a real good dig race now that he's better tuned in to his Cobra. I'm looking forward to a REALLY close race with him.

Haha, I just noticed that I did a really good powershift against the Cobra. I love powershifting... I don't think my diff liked it so much.

Last edited:

harsh5.0gt

Established Member
huh those cars do seem to have odd gearing. but like u say sound perfect for rolls. I'd love to find one with a stg 2 without exhuast like my friends. see how the cars are with good drivers seeing as I know all the others who own that car can drive better. actually I retract that statement, I don't know if he was stock or not, but there was a cobalt at the drags that was runnin' 15's missin gears and spinnin.

oh btw I'm not trying to sound cocky towards my driving or my car. lol just for the record

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Go out there and kick his Cheby lov-in @ss!

Mustang FTW!

Report here for debriefing afterwards... :banana:

joda64

Established Member
sorry dude if your car is runnibg the numbers u say u lose,close but u lose and i am a ford guy.drove a cobalt and ran better than that at the track,more mods may help

LT1-Z

american muscle
Established Member
you need a few more mods.
feather the clutch at launch
elec.fan, remove factory fan&clutch
short belt
alum.driveshaft
1.72 rockers
weight reduction,
empty the windshield fluid and the overflow bottle
etc...
honestly you should beat the cobalt.....

funky10

Established Member
I was dissapointed by my times. I think the dr's made my trac-lok worse. I had to be easy off the line and get the same 60 foots as with bald continentals. If I had posi, I could have actually put the dr's to the test, but I know he can't launch or shift. When we both raced on intake, off the line all I heard was his wheel-hop and uncontrollable need to keep it at wot, spinning...and from a roll every powershift I hit I fricken pulled as had a good full second interval between hearing the s/c whine

Man i wish i was back in highschool!! LOL!!! I miss racing my friends. What you need to do is save some coin, by 3.73 gears, southside machine bars(worked for me), a 347cid (carborated), c4 tranny and stall. With a shot of NOS you can dip into the 10's. I had an 89 GT with this combo, running full interior(Caged), at 2250ft elevation i ran a 10.85 @ 122mph. I miss that car!!! it was fun and could run it on pump gas on the street and 50/50 C-12 and preium fuel at the track. Don't ever forget the stang's as you get older, they only go faster!!!!!

Last edited:

Swaie

Established Member
Cobalt with stage 2 will out run the 5.0 that's running damn near 15's...period end of story. They do have bad wheel hop and Sh17y clutches. But make no mistake about it a turboed cobalt SS will move out on the 5.0 sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread