My 2020 Shelby GT500 video and review!

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Dang.... I want one of these so bad. But I don’t want a divorce either. I did get a sign-off to do a restro-mod pickup so I’ll take my small win & live through y’all. Congratulations!

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I spent all morning watching reviews and drooling. Thanks for sharing your perspective. An absolute monster of a car that delivers from start to finish from the sounds of it.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Tim, very cool that you were able to experience it before your car even arrived. Sounds like a real winner and worth the wait. The reviews are very positive especially compared to the new C8. I did find it interesting how the motor trend reviewer claimed there was such a distinct difference between the base 500 and the CFTP cars. Were you able to drive a base 500 in Vegas to see if there was a difference? I could see how one could feel a difference going WOT on a road course but doubt it would feel that much different on the street. Either way congrats on the new ride. 10 sec 1/4 and 130+ trap speed is awesome.

Tag

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Tim, very cool that you were able to experience it before your car even arrived. Sounds like a real winner and worth the wait. The reviews are very positive especially compared to the new C8. I did find it interesting how the motor trend reviewer claimed there was such a distinct difference between the base 500 and the CFTP cars. Were you able to drive a base 500 in Vegas to see if there was a difference? I could see how one could feel a difference going WOT on a road course but doubt it would feel that much different on the street. Either way congrats on the new ride. 10 sec 1/4 and 130+ trap speed is awesome.

Tag
I got time in both Sean. The way it was setup, the road course had nothing but CFTP cars and the drag strip was all base cars. Ford Performance states that the base cars are fastest on the drag track due to less aero drag and the CFTP cars are fastest on the road course due to the increased downforce allowing you higher speeds in the turns.

So, could I feel a difference...? Not really a fair question due to using the 2 different cars in different environments. The only way to accurately assess a difference would be to run both cars on the road course and then both cars on the drag track.

The base cars at the drag track did not have the added Gurney flap on the rear spoiler. Jim Owens ran through the 3 different spoiler/wing setups and mentioned the downforce numbers with each, which I don’t recall the exact numbers. The gist of it was the base spoiler has the least downforce, but still has downforce none-the-less. The CFTP has the most downforce. It is also adjustable so you can lessen it for street driving. The handling package on the base model adds a pretty significant Gurney flap and was about in the middle between the other 2 regarding downforce.

Jim did say that you should remove the splitter wickers and Gurney flap for street use since they add drag.

I did get a chance to hold both sets of wheels in my hands. Jim first handed me a CF wheel... very light! They weigh 17 pounds! He next handed me an aluminum wheel which is much heavier (34 pounds if I recall correctly). The CF wheels are supposed to spin-up much more freely robbing less power to get the mass rotating. Having said that, it leaves me scratching my head as to why the CFTP car wouldn’t be the fastest on the drag strip with the adjustable wing set to the least drag setting.

I have a base model car with the handling package getting built in a handful of days. I haven’t ruled out adding the wing and/or the CF wheels should they come available for purchase. Driving this car on the road course was an incredible experience!

Goose17

Established Member
Well, just found out I’ll be able to spend more time in the car for more impressions soon. I was last told Nov. 18th production. I was just alerted that my car hit the plant yesterday.

My garage is currently a disaster with an ongoing restoration project... gotta wrap that up and prep the garage for the new arrival.

Goose17

Established Member
I hate you Goose, lol

as if I didn’t want one bad enough already you drop this shit on me. And you’ve got one on order too
That’s funny. :p

I’ll post a video when I get it. I suggest you don’t watch. ;)

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Awesome review. The car sounds like it’s amazing. I look forward to hearing more of your impressions after you receive your car.

Goose17

Established Member
Awesome review. The car sounds like it’s amazing. I look forward to hearing more of your impressions after you receive your car.
Thank you sir!

I’m sharing a video I came across on YouTube. Out of all of the videos out there on the 2020, this is my favorite. It really captures the amazing sound and incredible acceleration early in the video. It also made me relive my time at the drag strip and road course. I got a kick out of his giddy reactions. I felt the same driving this new beast. It’s easy to lose your composure in such an awesome car.

One thing I diverge from his opinion was the brakes... I found them to be incredibly STOUT! He comments a few times about how much pedal effort was needed... not sure if his car had issues or not, but the cars I drove damn near threw me out the windshield. It has waaaay more brakes than my other Mustangs.

Fun video:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
correct me if i'm wrong here but is here a shift lever to shift from? Or is there only a dial to change gear section? If this is true then the only way to manual shift is with the paddles? That would suck if that is true.

Last edited:

Goose17

Established Member
correct me if i'm wrong here but is here a shift lever to shift from? Or is there only a dial to change gear section? If this is true then the only way to manual shift is with the paddles? That would suck if that is true.
There is a dial that you can put in “D” and drive like you would with an automatic transmission. The paddles are always “hot” though and you can override the current gear. You can also hit “M” in the middle of the dial to lock out auto shifting requiring paddle shifting to change gears. I found paddle shifting to be fun/engaging. The car shifts hard and the downshift/rev match sounds that come from it are absolutely fantastic!

IamRacerX

Established Member
I might have to rethink my future fun car purchase to include the GT500... just can’t get over the 4200lbs though. The rumored FPC C8 Z06 will be much lighter and more exotic for not much more money compared to a Track Pack GT500..
But we all know every 65 and up y/o American male is going to buy a base C8 to cruise with... so they will be everywhere.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I might have to rethink my future fun car purchase to include the GT500... just can’t get over the 4200lbs though. The rumored FPC C8 Z06 will be much lighter and more exotic for not much more money compared to a Track Pack GT500..
But we all know every 65 and up y/o American male is going to buy a base C8 to cruise with... so they will be everywhere.
As opposed to a mustang being everywhere? LOL, not the same, there are 3x more mustangs, maybe even 4 compared to the vette.

The c8 being everywhere will stand out tho since its a sporty/hot looking car. While an eco boost mustang is just another mustang.

See below:
Total Corvette Production Numbers By Model Year | Vette Vues Magazine
Ford Mustang Sales Numbers, Figures, Results

i know you cant compare sales numbers to production, but sales only covers what was sold, so the numbers will be higher because its not covering unsold mustangs.

Goose17

Established Member

I flogged the cars heavily and can honestly say I couldn’t feel any additional weight compared to my other Mustangs. The 2020 accelerates better, stops better and turns better than any car I personally driven before.

As opposed to a mustang being everywhere? LOL, not the same, there are 3x more mustangs, maybe even 4 compared to the vette.

The c8 being everywhere will stand out tho since its a sporty/hot looking car. While an eco boost mustang is just another mustang.

See below:
Total Corvette Production Numbers By Model Year | Vette Vues Magazine
Ford Mustang Sales Numbers, Figures, Results

i know you cant compare sales numbers to production, but sales only covers what was sold, so the numbers will be higher because its not covering unsold mustangs.

Comparing apples to apples... in 2020, you will be able to get a base C8 and also a Shelby GT500. In short order, you will see base C8s on darn near every outing. The 2020 GT500 will be a rare sight. Once Chevy releases a higher performance model, it will be a much more rare sight like the halo Mustang from Ford.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
A FPC C8 Z06 will be kissing $150K easily. It'll be a beast of a car, but it certainly won't be in the same ballpark price IMO.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
A FPC C8 Z06 will be kissing $150K easily. It'll be a beast of a car, but it certainly won't be in the same ballpark price IMO.
it may be the same ballpark because of the crazy adm stealerships are wanting for a gt500. 130k for a gt500
150k for a c8z is probably a loaded one, if a base c8 starts at 59/60k, the base c8z will be in the 85/90k range.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Not sure where you are getting 150k for the C8 Z06.... maybe you don’t realize there is going to also be another model or two above it.
Rumor is the C8 Z06 is going to be a na FPC 600hp 8500 rpm track rat..... the next ZR1 is the 850hp beast... then maybe a Zora with hybrid power with nearly 1k hp....
Z06 will start below $100k

I could have been number 2 on my local Ford dealers list for a new GT500.... for 15k over... that was with a 10k discount for being a previous customer lol...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread