My 2020 Moonroof *Crunch*

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I rarely use my moonroof and I wish I didn't have it...but here I am. As if they don't have enough issues themselves alone, I'm around a more than average wattage stereo system. Full tilt my vision gets blurry. It's a love hate relationship. I love it but my truck hates it. I knew it was only a matter of time after purchasing this 2020 before I got hit with the moonroof woes. Some of you already know where I'm heading and have been here. Not a total cluster as of yet and maybe just maybe I saved myself further issues. I had given my truck up to a shop for some RPG 1.5 spacers to level it. When I received the truck back the following day I noted some sunlight shining down on me. There was a half inch crack letting in the light, the sunshade would not close. Coincidental I'm sure, but they did pick it up from work and drop it back off to me at work. I simply couldn't drop it off there with my schedule. Was literally on the phone with my wife when I sent it to the rear talking about here it comes....and then it did...CRUNCH. Black pieces of plastic fell in the back. Luckily, the sunshade closed back to the almost closed position where it had been previously. The next step...You Tube. I don't know exactly what assembly this black piece of plastic goes to on the sunshade but currently it is working.
I decided to do some maintenance and inspect for damage. Sent the shade back, sent moonroof to vent. From the outside I cleaned the gasket as much as I could, about 65% is reachable. I then sent the moonroof back and cleaned the remainder of the moonroof. I then applied Krytox 205 grease to the gasket all around the moonroof front glass panel. I also checked for any remaining broken plastic pieces and cleaned what I could reach in the area. I then cleaned and applied Krytox to the rear seal from the outside. I didn't think this would fix the issue with the sunscreen especially after not finding anything that would have prevented full closure. My other hope was to perform the initialization. I was thrilled when this worked. I'll be doing the seal clean and Krytox application semi-annually. It'll probably be the only time I operate the damn thing. Hope this helps someone else...if you have one...clean and lube it.
Krytox by Chemours GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube (D10170248): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
https://youtu.be/GCj0pIjgT1M

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ugh, when looking for a nice optioned used truck seems like you're stuck with em. If and when I finally order a new truck it damned sure won't have that giant POS.

I have seen some threads on the F150 forum about people making replacement parts to replace some of the plastic BS but don't recall exactly what.

Users who are viewing this thread