My 2013 GT build thread *pic heavy*

7Lemons

Established Member
After installing my Boss IM and the rest of the Procharger kit (intercooler + BOV, plumbing) - I was ready for the first start!
Screenshot_20210429-141545_Video Player.jpg

7Lemons

Established Member
After all that work I was ready to turn the key. Knowing in all my previous projects there's always at least something minor that gets overlooked or some small issues somewhere - so I fully was ready for some problems to crop up. BUT - I filled her up with fresh E85, and set my base fuel pressure to 60psi, and with eyes ready to immediately look for oil pressure - I turned the key!!! And vroom! Fired right up immediately...normal oil pressure, slowly added more coolant as it took some in heating up. I then took it for a super gentle spin around the neighborhood! Having the Exedy Hyper twin ceramic clutch was like learning to drive a stick again, as there was next to no slip whatsoever! Other than that - it was driving completely normal and I watched the oil pressure and cyl head temp like a hawk! No issues anywhere! Also, I did the first start just with the manual-recommended Motorcraft 5w-20 oil.

7Lemons

Established Member
I then proceeded to remote tune with Shaun @ AED. By the 2nd revision I couldn't even believe how lively this thing felt (mid-range torque) and how smooth and how much less smell and ZERO blow-by or fumes at ALL from my breathers...thanks to Shaun's tight specs on the lower end (he told me ahead of time his small block would have no blow by at all??!!). Also, running E85 seems MUCH MUCH smoother and less stink and much cooler cyl head temps as well. By the 3rd tune revision from Shaun, I was able to go WOT but then realized my 305 MPSS tires were totally useless in 3rd gear. Even easing in on it - they broke completely loose mid 3rd gear WOT pull...scary! So I then purchased a set of Nitto NT555RII 305/35R19 for the rear, and they took a little bit to break in and didn't like the cold pavement at all (we then got a week or 10 days of really unusually cold weather) - but once it was hot again - they are up to the task in 3rd gear, and mostly in 2nd if I ease into it. 1st gear is totally useless lol (other than coming in slow with the throttle).

7Lemons

Established Member
SO - the moment I was working toward for almost 6 months!!! Shaun @ AED worked with Tim to make several runs, revising each time and the end result I could not be happier with! 815rwhp@7600! This was on E85 with 13 psi of boost from the P1 (3.9 pulley). Nice!! The thing pulls soooo hard at the high end, and even feels much stronger in the mid range with Shaun's tune and the L&M cams + gen 2 exhaust cams and gen 2 heads!

20210518_113804.jpg

20210518_113311.jpg

Not sure if these will work - but a couple video clips of the dyno tune:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5WtMp2igDaLNiDUKA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n1NSCivEdxa7EuUQ8

As an interesting data point, when it was all done I tried a "mushroom" style air filter right on the P1 head unit in an attempt to eliminate the long big tube above my LH coil cover and to clean things up. This lost 76HP!! Threw that thing in the garbage. Even the K&N filter I was running was too small (to fit the strut tower brace still), and if I could cram a larger one in there should pick up a little more power.

7Lemons

Established Member
I thought so too...feels really quick on the butt dyno! Tim offered to spin it higher (up to 8000 or 8500), or to make one or two more passes to go a little higher, but this was already right where I wanted to be, so I said nah we're GTG!!!!

7Lemons

Established Member
No problem - my pleasure!! And thank you man!!

A special thank you to Riddick - who helped me tremendously. Lots of email/text/phone support when I was in a jam! Also thanks to Tim @ Rodeheaver's Hot Rod Shop (totally awesome guy and fantastic place), and to Shaun @ AED who also helped me out of a couple perplexing jams with mixed gen 1/gen 2 Frankenstein questions!! Also, each of Shaun's tunes, including the base tune, were dead on and he is absolutely meticulous!

**** DISCLAIMER - Lund Racing stickers replaced with AED ones... nothing against Lund at all, but I'm an AED fan now ;-) ****
2021-04-15-14-39-14-245.jpg

2021-05-13-13-48-54-754.jpg

matt5058

Established Member
This thread made me realize how little I know about engines, lol. Well done. Very impressive numbers. Im sure that thing is bananas to drive.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Great build! I was looking at the Rodeheaver's fuel system for E85 for my 13gt. Any reason why you didn't go with Tim's system?

7Lemons

Established Member
This thread made me realize how little I know about engines, lol. Well done. Very impressive numbers. Im sure that thing is bananas to drive.
Thank you! The whole process made me realize that as well!! lol Much of the confusion and general complications were centered around a mixed gen 1 /gen 2 with a 3rd variable with custom intake cams, and also there are flat out errors in the manuals in various places!! It was a journey!! It is a blast for sure. Even with the new 555r2 drag radials, 1st and 2nd are useless without being very careful on the gas etc

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

7Lemons

Established Member
Great build! I was looking at the Rodeheaver's fuel system for E85 for my 13gt. Any reason why you didn't go with Tim's system?
Not at all, I would have, but I just found a guy with the VMP system I wanted with the upgraded rails for a fantastic price. Like new condition.

When I was as t Tim's, he said he loves the VMP system especially the rails, so there's that info.

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gethookedjf

@7Lemons

Hopefully you are still lingering around here.

This is crazy...I have a 14 GT with a Gen 1 that I am upgrading. I am thinking about sending Shaun the funds right now for his AED1000. I already have brand new Gen 2 Heads. I am doing almost the exact same setup. I have a VMP Gen3r on mine however.

How is the motor holding up? How was this shipping process?

Thanks for any guidance and for your time.

7Lemons

Established Member
Hey gethookedjf,

I haven't been here much at all but saw your message. It's holding up very well! I was chasing some CELs (oxygen sensor trouble codes) on the driver's side. I tried replacing all the sensors, the pigtail to the harness, and I even got the schematic and beeped everything out and did a continuity and impedance and voltage check... and it all checked out. I figured it was something intermittent that I couldn't detect with a multimeter, probably something that would require seeing real-time signals on an oscilloscope. So, I replaced the whole battery harness, which is the one that goes to the oxygen sensors. And that was the fix... problem solved, and ever since then no CEL.

Shipping was easy, but not cheap.. something like $350 I think? It was very well packaged by Shaun and came on a pallet on a truck to my garage door.

gethookedjf

Hey gethookedjf,

I haven't been here much at all but saw your message. It's holding up very well! I was chasing some CELs (oxygen sensor trouble codes) on the driver's side. I tried replacing all the sensors, the pigtail to the harness, and I even got the schematic and beeped everything out and did a continuity and impedance and voltage check... and it all checked out. I figured it was something intermittent that I couldn't detect with a multimeter, probably something that would require seeing real-time signals on an oscilloscope. So, I replaced the whole battery harness, which is the one that goes to the oxygen sensors. And that was the fix... problem solved, and ever since then no CEL.

Shipping was easy, but not cheap.. something like $350 I think? It was very well packaged by Shaun and came on a pallet on a truck to my garage door.
@7Lemons ,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Sorry to hear about the CEL chase. It's always something, isn't it? In the end, it usually ends up being something simple. Thanks for sharing that info. Who knows, I may end up dealing with the same issue when I start mine up for the first time.

Couple of questions, if you are willing to share any insight. If so, I hope this helps someone. If I do end up doing this on my own, I will be sharing my experience in depth, as you did.

I have had horrible experiences lately with shops working on my cars. I am tired of wasting my money and dealing with shady people who care nothing about your car.

Similar to you, I think I have enough tools and a little knowledge to be dangerous. I have installed transmissions, clutch's, an Airlift system, springs, coilovers, full supercharger kits, exhausts, suspension components, etc. However, I have never pulled an engine, or worked on cams, never removed/installed heads, OPG's, timing components, etc.

With that being said, like you, I will be working on jack stands. I have an engine lift, engine stand, transmission jack, etc. Unlike you, I will have no help. It was really cool to see you involving your kids in the build! My boys are both serving in the Air Force. I sure could use their help on this!

1. If you could do it again, would you? I am doubting my abilities on this due to the risk of messing up the timing while installing the cams, new timing kit, etc. However, I plan to take my time. I am also very meticulous and detailed. I am just extremely hesitant to give my car to another shop ever again. Especially, for something like this.

2. I have 1 7/8" Kooks LT Headers currently on my Gen 1 motor. Did your Kooks give you any problems bolting/lining up on the Gen 2 Heads? Did your clearance in the engine bay/chassis change at all? I am concerned that the headers may not clear with the new short block and heads. I may pull the trigger on the BMR K-member.

3. Would you recommend the BMR K-Member? Did it help with clearance for the headers?

4. Did the Gen 1 OPG's, housing, and crank sprocket give you any issues? Just want to make sure I install the right ones going from Gen 1 to Gen 2. I am installing the Gen 1 "L&M Intake Only" Cams, and reusing my cams from my Gen 1.

5. Which return style fuel system did you install from VMP? I already have Fore 3V rails, and their BAP.

6. Did you use a Gen 1 or Gen 2 timing cover/gasket?

7. Will I need a Gen 2 windage tray/ oil pan seal, and pan?

8. DId you have any porting/bowl work done to the heads?

Thanks again for your time and guidance. I truly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread