My 04 vs Evo 9

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
This was actually a couple months ago, but it came up in conversation again. I was driving back from a cars and coffee with some friends and I was being stalked by an Evo. He kept sitting at my driver side quarter panel, but I didn't think anything of it at first. Then I saw the pipes coming through the bumper and the big intercooler through the bumper. I had the Whipple on, but was still on pump gas. I did a quick 5th gear punch when he got next to me at one point and after that he settled in next to me. I figured what the hell and started slowing down. I managed to get him to slow down so I could get into 2nd around 3500rpm. His passenger counted it off (I had my wife so we were even on passengers) and when I punched it I got about a fender on him. I thought I got this as I pulled a little more, then I heard his turbo spool. When you can hear the other guy's turbo spool in the lane next to you over a pair of Stingers you know you're in trouble. He made up ground pretty quick and we stayed neck and neck. I shifted into third around 6500rpm and ran it out. I touched 4th, but traffic was coming up. You could tell when one of us would shift because the car would drop for a split second then come back. We were door to door most of the way.

We gave each other the thumbs up and he managed to disappear into the traffic. I really wanted to talk to him about his set up too. I keep looking for him after the meet now that I'm on E85. I want to see how it would go with a little more boost and timing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Also sounded like a really close race. Regardless of whether or not you see him again, that was a nice run you won't forget. So how was your wife during that multi-second blast?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That sounds like a fun encounter!

It was. I don't get to play that often because most see it's a Cobra and shy away.

Also sounded like a really close race. Regardless of whether or not you see him again, that was a nice run you won't forget. So how was your wife during that multi-second blast?

She's into it. We went to a meet on Sunday and I laid into it getting on the freeway. This was her first time since I've gone full E85. Her response was "not bad".

Users who are viewing this thread