MY 03 pullied cobra vs stock 2011 Challenger SRT8 392 Hemi

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
I still don't understand how yours runs 12.2 @ 113 and my buddies can only do 12.7 @ 110mph with mods. You must have some severe negative DA to play with or he just got a lemon. :(

Actually one of my 12.2 runs was in a +1200 DA but the other 12.2's I have run was in +500 DA's. I have noticed that DA isnt affecting the 392 as much. BUT AIR TEMPS DO!!!! If is nice and cold out and the DA is still high the car still loves it. Is your friends an Auto or manual?? The manuals are nowhere near as fast as the autos. As far as Mods, there isnt much you can do to the 392's since there is no tuning for them yet.

Last edited:

2011fiveliter

Established Member
There is no doubt the 392 is a beast. The fastest guy on that list is now in the 11's with his car. It is not "bone stock" slicks, skinnies, stall convertor, CAI. And he ran a 11.96. I don't care what way u look at that, it is impressive. and i believe he weighted in at close to 4500lbs.

And no doubt the Auto's are about .5 sec faster the manuals.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
What mods are done to your buddies car. there is not much out there for the 392 yet. And still no tuning available for them. So if your buddy has a CAI, LT headers, TB, etc. It is not going to be very useful without a tune. Maybe that is why he is running at 12.7's.

Also, have to cosider the conditions your buddy ran in vs. SRT8TECH's conditions. I believe he ran in some pretty good DA when he pulled off his 12.2 time.

I believe his 12.7 pass was done with -400 DA. :shrug: At the time with was stock... he has since done a CAI and removed the cats but obviously with the lack of tuning ability he probably won't see any benefits.

Edit: It was 12.7 @ 109...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18487098/Challenger392M6.png

12.7 @ 110 with the cai/no cats.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Actually one of my 12.2 runs was in a +1200 DA but the other 12.2's I have run was in +500 DA's. I have noticed that DA isnt affecting the 392 as much. BUT AIR TEMPS DO!!!! If is nice and cold out and the DA is still high the car still loves it. Is your friends an Auto or manual?? The manuals are nowhere near as fast as the autos. As far as Mods, there isnt much you can do to the 392's since there is no tuning for them yet.

It's a manual...that's very disappointing that the manuals are somehow nuetered.

2011fiveliter

Established Member
I don't think they are nuetered, but the auto cars shift so efficiently that the manual cars can not compete consistantly.

Same thing with the auto 5.0's, they are consistantly faster then the manual 5.0's.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I don't think they are nuetered, but the auto cars shift so efficiently that the manual cars can not compete consistantly.

Same thing with the auto 5.0's, they are consistantly faster then the manual 5.0's.

I don't know... I don't claim to be the worlds greatest driver but I do pretty well and I wasn't able to do any better than he did at the track.. if the manuals are that far behind there really has to be some kind of fatal flaw... poor gearing? torque management?

2011fiveliter

Established Member
The transmission is a TR6060, same as the one ford, and chevy uses. And the manual cars come with 392 gears. Not questioning your theory just saying what the car has. I think it proves how good the computer systems are now for the autos.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
The 392 programming in the PCM is killing the manuals. The Torque management in the manuals is horrible. It pulls a ton timing and throttle after a shift in the manual cars. The Torque management in the auto is pretty bad too but not like the manual cars.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
The 392 programming in the PCM is killing the manuals. The Torque management in the manuals is horrible. It pulls a ton timing and throttle after a shift in the manual cars. The Torque management in the auto is pretty bad too but not like the manual cars.

That would explain a lot actually... I no lift shifted his car all the way down the track no problem... It was pretty smooth now that I think about (when I no lift in my ls1 I can feel stuff being hit pretty hard). Any idea on when tuning with come around?

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
That would explain a lot actually... I no lift shifted his car all the way down the track no problem... It was pretty smooth now that I think about (when I no lift in my ls1 I can feel stuff being hit pretty hard). Any idea on when tuning with come around?

Hope it will be around soon but its all rumors right now.

2011fiveliter

Established Member
Here is a clip of my 11.96 pass. The car has a converter, cai, catback, and no tuning or weight reduction. The best my car ran BONE stock was 12.38 in 1800 DA with me driving it (265lbs)

2011 392 Challenger vs Z06 Corvette - YouTube

That is some sick time, you are running in that car. And damn impressive for the few mods it has. When tunning becomes available these 392's are going to be even more impressive. I have been watching you post on challengertalk the past few weeks. Was waiting to see that 11 sec pass.

I would love for dodge to put that 392 down into a 3600lbs car. I know alot of people over there keep talking about a blower. But a 3600lbs car and that 392 NA would make for a hell of a combination.

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Not everyone wants a modded car especially the older crowd.. As O.P said, he owned an older Challenger, so maybe it was a car he's been wanting . There was an older fella by my house that owned a Shelby, had it bone stock and trade it for a Camaro SS. That car has been completely stock also.

I would say the edge goes to the 392 especially up top. The Challenger 392 seems to keep pulling hard all the way and doesn't run out of breath compared to the Cobra or 5.0 GT when going over 60+ (which don't either but compared to the 392, they fall behind)

Regardless, the 392 seems to fall more as a classic looking car type, I wouldn't mind owing one for a weekend cruiser and keep it next to bone stock. For anything else, there's my lil snake :rockon:

Lol
I'd say the edge goes to the Cobra.

The 392 makes 30 rwhp more. But adds 650 lbs. To the mix.

The challenger wasn't built to be fast. It was built to capitalize on the retro market while adding great power undergone in an era of no camaro and a barely 300 hp mustang.

The Cobra doesn't fall flat up top either. I'd say the Cobra owns it down low and up top.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
Terminator VS 392 both in stock trim the edge DEFINATELY goes to the 392. Wasnt Evan Smiths time of 12.4 @ 113 the fastest bone stock Terminator time? And that was Evan Smith driving!! NOW pullied Terminator in 6000+ altitude to a stock 392.......the edge goes WAYYY to the Terminator. LOL

jas11151990

Established Member
Terminator VS 392 both in stock trim the edge DEFINATELY goes to the 392. Wasnt Evan Smiths time of 12.4 @ 113 the fastest bone stock Terminator time? And that was Evan Smith driving!! NOW pullied Terminator in 6000+ altitude to a stock 392.......the edge goes WAYYY to the Terminator. LOL

then get rid of the 8 year old Cobra and do a 5.0 > 392 lol .... i do like the challenger styling though

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
then get rid of the 8 year old Cobra and do a 5.0 > 392 lol .... i do like the challenger styling though

Hey HEY NOW!!!! LOL. I do like the 5.0 and it does run damn good. I have a few friends with em. :) I wouldnt be scared to run the 5.0. It would be a good race though.

Last edited:

jas11151990

Established Member
Hey HEY NOW!!!! LOL. I do like the 5.0 and it does run damn good. I have a few friends with em. :) I wouldnt be scared to run the 5.0. It would be a good race though.

hahah it would be a damn good race

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread