My 03 Left me stranded in the middle of no where!!!

anteros511

Established Member
Get this: Sunday night I'm driving home from Jones Beach after seeing a concert... I'm driving like 80mph going down a long stretch of highway that I wasn't familiar with- in fact I was going the wrong way.... Then all of a sudden my radio goes dead- 5 seconds later my ABS light comes on- another 10 seconds later my THEFT light comes on- then more and more dash lights- finally the car loses complete power and comes to a stop.... It was very weird, like close encounters or something.... I thought I drove through a magnetic field!! WTF??? :shrug: I said! Luckily my cell phone worked and I called 911 to dispatch a tow truck- I also called a friend who lived nearby as well as Ford Roadside Assistance. I had NO IDEA where I was and after walking about 500 ft. to a roadsign and getting bit a hundred times by bugs, I was able to tell the tow company where to find me. My friend arrived and shortly after the tow truck came. It was a nightmare!! I had the car towed to my friends house then in the morning I had it towed to a Ford dealer in Long Island. They gave me a Dodge Intrepid (loaner) from Enterprise. I called them today and they said they are still working on it and didn't yet determine what happened (yeah, sure, you know they didn't even start!) I checked the belt, thought maybe it snapped but it was ok. It seems either my alternator died or there's some other electrical problem. When it started to die, it looked like it was running on whatever was left of the battery power.... :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Last edited:

Fang

Established Member
I had a similar experience lately and they could not reproduce the problem. It seems these cars are possessed or something. These things have some weird sh@# happen to them that the dealers have no idea how to fix. They said they ran a diagnostic on my car with no results. So I just drive it till it happens again.

Piker

Established Member
sounds like you were on the Ocean Parkway going the wrong way. I've had a similar experience on that road. I feel for ya!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Sounds like the alternator wasn't doing its job and the power was draining. I've had similar experiences in other cars. When the alternator fails, it's just running off the battery. When the battery starts to run out, dash lights start to come on usually in order of power delivery/failure.

Have them do a load test on the battery, and also have them run diagnostics on your alternator. If both test okay, I would suspect a faulty cable. If it goes beyond that, at least we know it's related to the eletrical system and something not getting current.

Mike

Last edited:

03snakerush

Established Member
When my alternator gave out in my Mercury, the first thing to go out was the stereo and then the clock, almost word for word what happened to you. Then it was " OH SH*T_ GET OFF THE FREEWAY!" I'm sure they'll find the problem pretty quick:beer:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Big Pete
sounds like you were on the Ocean Parkway going the wrong way. I've had a similar experience on that road. I feel for ya!

Great road to open it up on in a couple places. :burnout:

FASN8N

Established Member
Same thing happened to my friends 02 Navigator with 10k miles, turned ot to be a bad alternator.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by anteros511
Get this: Sunday night I'm driving home from Jones Beach after seeing a concert... I'm driving like 80mph going down a long stretch of highway that I wasn't familiar with- in fact I was going the wrong way.... Then all of a sudden my radio goes dead- 5 seconds later my ABS light comes on- another 10 seconds later my THEFT light comes on- then more and more dash lights- finally the car loses complete power and comes to a stop.... It was very weird, like close encounters or something.... I thought I drove through a magnetic field!! WTF??? :shrug: I said! Luckily my cell phone worked and I called 911 to dispatch a tow truck- I also called a friend who lived nearby as well as Ford Roadside Assistance. I had NO IDEA where I was and after walking about 500 ft. to a roadsign and getting bit a hundred times by bugs, I was able to tell the tow company where to find me. My friend arrived and shortly after the tow truck came. It was a nightmare!! I had the car towed to my friends house then in the morning I had it towed to a Ford dealer in Long Island. They gave me a Dodge Intrepid (loaner) from Enterprise. I called them today and they said they are still working on it and didn't yet determine what happened (yeah, sure, you know they didn't even start!) I checked the belt, thought maybe it snapped but it was ok. It seems either my alterator died or there's some other electrical problem. When it started to die, it looked like it was running on whatever was left of the battery power.... :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I have a similar situation. What dealor is it at? I'll let you know what I find out today......:beer:

i8u

Established Member
My situation:

I was in 1st gear pulling out of my driveway at about 5mph. Suddenly it felt like the car hit a brick wall. All the instrument lights came on and off. At the same time all the needles on the gauges went to full position. The weird part was the car did not stall. It did that one more time that evening. Car ran fine besides that. The other thing I noticed was the radio would turn on, then off, then on again.

This morning I was leaving to drive back to FL. I went and started the car. It started fine but imediately stalled. The car would not restart. It didn't even crank after the stall. My door locks and lights didn't have any power. The battery showed 12.8 volts on my flukemeter though.:read: At least it hapened before I was on the 1000+ mile road trip.:beer:

I was initially thinking it could be a ground strap or something that was not right after the head swap. But if others are having similar problems...... It seems that the "gremlin" may have to do with something else. I will get the car on the lift about 2pm today. I will let you guys know what I find. :beer:

Have the people that are having these symptoms had the head replaced?

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Fang
No head swap here.

Then it looks like we have to go hunt some electrical"gremlins".
Hopefully it isn't a pain to isolate. It probably will though.......

:beer:

I'll Let you guys know what I find......

anteros511

Established Member
Re: Re: My 03 Left me stranded in the middle of no where!!!

Originally posted by i8u
I have a similar situation. What dealor is it at? I'll let you know what I find out today......:beer:

My car is being serviced at McDaniel Ford in Hicksville NY.

anteros511

Established Member
Originally posted by Big Pete

Yup! That's it... almost to the Robert Moses Causeway. It was ISOLATED!!!

anteros511

Established Member
I just called the dealer, they said they had to order an Alternator. I hope that's the end of the problem!! I can't beleive it decided to die at that exact moment given my location at the time. Nice luck!!

anteros511

Established Member
BTW while it's at the dealer being serviced, I'm having them fix the creaking noise coming from my rack & pinon-- From posts on this forum I heard re-sleeving the rack fixes the noise.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by anteros511
I just called the dealer, they said they had to order an Alternator. I hope that's the end of the problem!! I can't beleive it decided to die at that exact moment given my location at the time. Nice luck!!

Just found my "gremlin". Check your feed wire to the power distibution box. Check the one that has the 2 gray wires..... not the red one. There are 2 nuts. The outside one was tight. Dissconnect your battery. Remove the nut. Pull out the fusible links. This will make it easy to get to the inside nut. It is actually inside the power distibution box. The inside nut for that conection was loose from the factory. I could wiggle the wire and all my symptoms would appear. Tightened the nut and all my problems were gone. I will post a pic.........:beer: :D

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Let me know how you like that dealership. Please. I love driving down there at night by the way!

Users who are viewing this thread