My '03 Cobra arrived today... with problems

CWCobra

Established Member
Here's the story:

First the facts:
My '03 triple black Cobra 'vert was ordered on 2/13, built on 5/21, shipped to convoy on 6/04, and arrived at dealership today, on 6/11. However, the supercharger quit making boost during the PDI shakedown run. Tech said he was doing about 70 mph, heard a sudden "whoosh" then no boost whatsoever. Boost guage went to zero. Needs a replacement part (couldn't find out what part), which only location is in New York parts depot. Part to be ordered on 6/12, with eta 6/14. Repair to ensue when part arrives, then shakedown run to be repeated. New estimated retail delivery to me is 6/20. That's assuming the window sticker (Monroney sticker) arrives from Ford. Dealer is supposedly barred by law from selling vehicle until sticker comes from manufacturer. Some FTC regulation, or another, I am told.

Now my opinion:
Overall: I sat in the car. I cranked the car and heard it idle. I checked the seats, the engine compartment, the trunk. Overall impression is that it's not as esthetically appealing to the eye as my '97 Cobra 'vert. Lines are OK, wheels are OK...everything is just OK. But when you get to the engine...OMG! What a brute! Makes my '97 engine look small. It REALLY fills up the compartment! Body lines generally are same as all 'Stangs since '99, except for hood, and rear fin.

Interior:
Interior is indeed "charcoal gray" as advertised. My '97's black interior looks much better, IMHO. Nothing wrong with gray. I just happen to like the black better. Seats have 4 different types of upholstery on them: leather trim seating surfaces, suede seat inserts, vinyl non-seating surfaces, and, believe it or not, velour facing on the seat sides adjacent to console. Looks a bit "patchwork" if you ask me. Again, the nod goes to '97 seats for appearance. As far as adjustability and comfort, the '03 seat wins hands down. But to the eye, it still looks like patchwork.

Wheels and tires:
The 275 series tires look really "fat" from the rear. But it still has that 4x4 look from the side. Maybe I'm just accustomed to the lowered look of my '97. The wheels look good. At this point, I don't see any attraction to the Fall upgrade to chrome wheels. But we'll have to see when Fall comes.

Engine idle and exhaust sound:
Granted, I did not drive it, and only revved it to about 3,000 rpms, but the sound was unbelieveably quiet! My wife's Continental makes more noise. I honestly could not hear it idle from inside the car! And zero supercharger whine...'course the 'charger wasn't working!

Summary:
I sure hope this thing performs! I DID NOT, repeat, DID NOT fall in love with it at first sight. My honest opinion: if I had not already ordered this car, and just happened to come upon it in a showroom somewhere, I would say thanks but no thanks, I think I'll keep my '97 and save the $25,000 price difference. But that's just my opinion. Others need to find out for themselves what's right for them. If dealer wanted to sell out from under me, I probably would not object.

But that's just my opinion,
CW

B

blown03cobra

didnt this happen to somebody else already??? I sure hope not, I am car-less till mine comes in the 20th,,, all I have to do is pick up the keys and thas it, deal is done so this would certainly blow donkey balls:cuss:

CWCobra

Established Member
Guess I'm feeling a little like a guinea pig right about now. And it's gonna cost me $42,000 or so for the priveledge,
LAter,
CW

B

blown03cobra

you? guinea pig??? mine will be here in a week :cuss:

guille

Established Member
CWCobra, the problem is, you didn't drive it. I got my black 03 coupe yesterday. And believe me, this thing is FAST. It makes my 99 Cobra coupe feel like a Honda Civic. Even in third gear as low as 1000 rpm, if you punch it, it will bog initially but ounce the boost kicks in it will pull. And the boost does kick in fast.

Yep, the exhaust is quiet and so is the blower during idle. But you can definately hear (and feel) when the boost kicks in.

Don't give up on it until you try it.

CWCobra

Established Member
GTto03:
No vinyl, huh? Have you sat in/felt of the '03 seats? I have, and the seat backs and lower trim sure felt like vinyl to me! Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'll bet you a cold one that Ford didn't spring for leather on the seat backs. If I'm wrong, I'll owe ya one!
Later,
CW

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by guille
CWCobra, the problem is, you didn't drive it. I got my black 03 coupe yesterday. And believe me, this thing is FAST. It makes my 99 Cobra coupe feel like a Honda Civic. Even in third gear as low as 1000 rpm, if you punch it, it will bog initially but ounce the boost kicks in it will pull. And the boost does kick in fast.

Yep, the exhaust is quiet and so is the blower during idle. But you can definately hear (and feel) when the boost kicks in.

Don't give up on it until you try it.

thank god we get some good news,,,, I hope it is a fluke........ It seems CW would not be please with a freggin Lambo if it were given to him,,, IMO

E.L Marshall

Established Member
Layed me eyes on the new 03 Cobra convertibles at Carlise last week, and ordered one the following Monday morning from Sheehy Ford.

To me, just my opinion, the newer mustangs look the best by far with the 69 MACHs a close second.

Hurry it up Ford...

Cat Breath

Established Member
Originally posted by blown03cobra

It seems CW would not be please with a freggin Lambo if it were given to him,,, IMO

Common man, cut CW some slack. Kind of harsh judging him when we are all brand spanking new on this board with an average dozen posts or so AND we all have been anxiously awaiting what has been a delayed production/delivery of our cars.

As for not falling in love with the car CW, I'm with Guille, you'll probably change your mind after you drive it. If not, then return it before you have major regrets over it. Anyway, hope your cars problem is easy to remedy and is not the norm.

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by Cat Breath

Common man, cut CW some slack. Kind of harsh judging him when we are all brand spanking new on this board with an average dozen posts or so AND we all have been anxiously awaiting what has been a delayed production/delivery of our cars.

As for not falling in love with the car CW, I'm with Guille, you'll probably change your mind after you drive it. If not, then return it before you have major regrets over it. Anyway, hope your cars problem is easy to remedy and is not the norm.

Ummm, I can judge anyone that I am in the same boat in with,,,,,,,,,, Hell I dont even have mine yet but she will be here the 14th-20th..... it just sorta sucks someone that has been waiting forever for their car that intil NOW %100 of people have been drooling over comes back on the board and sais stuff that they know is not true,,, just like the vinyl instead of leather,,,, total bullcrap if you ask me

Black Cobra

Established Member
CWCobra, Which dealer did you get you car from...

Mtn View Ford or Marshal Mize Ford?

CWCobra

Established Member
Well...I could be wrong about the vinyl...but the velour sure as hell is there on the seat sides. Anyhow, someone asked about how come the price was $42,000...well, I kinda rounded off:

MSRP 38,995.00
Doc fee 187.15
Bus tax 77.99
Tax-local 36.00
Tax-state 2,355.61

Total 41,651.75

If I wind up buying the extended warranty, it'll blow right past the $43,000 mark. Haven't decided yet.

Hope you guys are right about loving it once I drive it. Been a long wait since Feb. 13 order date. I'm sure many will have to wait much longer, so I am not complaining. One thing for sure: I'm not sellin' the '97 until I'm happy with the '03.

To those who were offended by my initial opinions of the '03: I apologize. They were my opinions only, and not meant to offend anyone who disagrees. I just thought the forum would welcome comments from an actual customer, first-hand.
Later,
CW

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by GTto03
No sweat CW... I don't expect you to like your first experience if you didn't get to experience the power... Maybe its like a Nascar ..Kinda boring inside and out but once it starts up and and gets going It gives ya chill bumps......

Another thing, I am kind of going through the same thing.. Going from a car you love that is set up just like you like it is discouraging because you feel that you have to start all over.. Most people buy different cars when they get a new one... You are buying a new car where the interior is very similar to your old... That may make it less exciting... I also like Black better but they aren't making those 12 sec cars in black, so what do you do... I will happily settle and thank my lucky stars that ford has done its job!

AMEN:beer:

fafafoey

Established Member
C'mon guys. This Car blows away the Standard Stanf or any previous Cobra. I had A 99GT Vert and this car with all the mods lnside looks way better. This car looks like a true Muscle Car where the regular stangs and older Cobras look like.well regular mustangs. No tdisapointed at all and it sounds fine and is as Powerful as advertised.

Happy as can be in Chicago!

B

blown03cobra

Good to hear someone else has not had problems with theirs,,,, now all i gota do is pray and wait one more week :thumbsup:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by CWCobra
Well...I could be wrong about the vinyl...but the velour sure as hell is there on the seat sides. Anyhow, someone asked about how come the price was $42,000...well, I kinda rounded off:

MSRP 38,995.00
Doc fee 187.15
Bus tax 77.99
Tax-local 36.00
Tax-state 2,355.61

Total 41,651.75

....CW

The MSRP isn't that high on the verts even. Where did you get yours at and what was your salesmans name. John Colletti made it clear price gouging would not be tolerated. I'd like to report your sales team.

BTW MM&FF's car was priced at low low 30's so that should be a barometer of pricing.

CWCobra

Established Member
GR8White:
I don't have the Maroney sticker yet, but that's the MSRP I've seen quoted everywhere for 'verts, and it's the MSRP per my dealer I have known for 18 years, and per the factory to dealer invoice from Ford...guess I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it. If you have a different MSRP, please be kind enough to quote the dollar amount and sources. I would LOVE to save some bucks!!!!!!! My dealer is selling all '03 Cobras at MSRP, as are the 2 other SVT dealers I have called in this area. Same price at all of them. If you have better info, I'd love to hear it!

By the way, you outta know by now not to believe everything you read in MM&FF, or any other rag for that matter, especially when you have first-hand info at your disposal.
Thank you, and have a good day,
CW

Users who are viewing this thread