Mustang Noob Questions...

dz1087

Hello fellers!

I recently picked up a used '14 GT with 10k miles. The previous owner put on a Borla Cat-Back system, Boss IM, JLT CAI, and has a Bama tune on the car. The rear end is the 3.73 LS. 6sp Manual.

With only 10k on the clock, it still has about 6 months bumper to bumper warranty and several years/thousands of miles left before the power-train warranty runs out. Seeing as it is such low miles and in what appears to be awesome shape, I'd like to preserve the warranty for as long as possible. Along those lines, I'm thinking of reverting the tune back to stock.

I realize that a dealer would be able to see that something had been flashed on the ECU, but I'm hoping that by the time something were to go wrong with the drivetrain, it would be a year or two or several thousand miles. Hopefully, I would then be able to plead with Ford I had done everything in my power to make the car run as stock if they raised a stink about the ECU being messed with.

So my question is: would a stock air filter box be a direct bolt on to the Boss IM?

With the JLT, as I understand it, I would throw engine codes without the tune. So, to prevent that I would rather just throw a stock air box on and call it a day for the next few years and enjoy the car as is.

Also, in your guys' experience, would the presence of the Boss IM and Borla exhaust cause much consternation at the dealership if the tune was absent? i.e., would they limit the drivetrain warranty to 3/30 due to the presence of the Boss IM?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Drive it like you stole it, F the warranty. If you blow the engine, they are going to find the tune flash and not care when it was, you will be denied. If you want to do something to protect the car, get a true dyno tune and get that shitty Bama boxed tune off the car.

GBCoyote

Established Member
Boss manifold requires a tune. The cat-back wouldn't be an issue as long as the cats aren't messed with. You can detune your car and revert it back to stock if you wish, but as long as the car is tuned by someone reputable, you are not going to have issues with it. It would be a futile task doing this if you are scared it is going to break, it's not like the coyote platform is going down left and right and blowing up. Without boost or nitrous, this is a solid platform. The only thing you're going to have issues with might be the transmission in manual form. The MT82 has a horrible reputation, some get beat on like a cheap hooker and last, others have issues in stock fashion without any modifications to the vehicle. However, most dealerships are fixing the transmissions once they break regardless of modifications that have been made to the vehicle minus power adders (boost or spray).

Just keep it the way it is, use good gas, change the oil, enjoy the car.

dz1087

Ok, well a few follow on questions then --

You guys don't think Ford will care in any way about the amount of time elapsed from when it was de-tuned?

Any issues with the Bama tunes blowing engines with my setup? I've read about their #8 warranty. (although I don't think I'm covered since I'm not the original purchaser of the tune)

I've noticed what feels like the engine missing under steady, light acceleration in the lower gears. I've also read about some driveability issues arising from the Bama tunes on here. Should I bother getting a re-tune from Bama or go with another vendor?

5lho

Established Member
Intake manifold and tune make it likely that Ford will tell you to pound sand if you try to make an engine claim. Boss IM needs a tune as has been said, you can't use stock. Hence, going factory airbox doesn't seem like it would aid that situation. Nobody blows engines up with tunes anymore; no concerns there if you choose a reputable vendor. Lots of advice on this, look around here a bit for feedback and you'll see what people like.

GBCoyote

Established Member
I'd spend the money on a good tune with that setup to ensure you DON'T have to go through with warranty issues. Consider it 200 dollar insurance for your motor.

dz1087

I'd spend the money on a good tune with that setup to ensure you DON'T have to go through with warranty issues. Consider it 200 dollar insurance for your motor.

I'm contacting Bama to see if they will tell me exactly what tunes are on the tuner that came with the car and how they are all set up. If there is a mild tune on there, would that be a safe bet? Or should I ditch the SCT/BAMA tune altogether and go with another one?

_Snake_

Established Member
Let's get this out of the way - the warranty has already been voided and nothing you do at this point will change Ford's position.

And by all means find another tuner.

scotmach

Established Member
Let's get this out of the way - the warranty has already been voided and nothing you do at this point will change Ford's position.

And by all means find another tuner.

This 100%. You no longer have a warranty. Period.

dz1087

Thanks for the responses, guys. BAMA hasn't been any help determining what tune I'm running on this car. Looks like I will start my search for another tune shortly.

bunits19714

Established Member
Your car is a de flowered virgin so treat her as such- Enjoy your warranty on your radio and ac this is about all you have- Respect her and get a better tune and by all means always run premium fuel-( amazes me on how many people don't)

jp1seattle

Established Member
The good thing is that Lund and AED will be able to send you a tune that you'll be able to load onto the Bama SCT tuner. Just because it says Bama on the device, doesn't mean it's limited to Bama tunes!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
You can keep your current sct tuner. Get with Lund or aed and they can send you a tune to load on your sct. You then will datalog the car and send the logs to your tuner so they can be revised. I know Shaun at aed gives specific instructions on what he wants done and how to do it, I'm sure Lund does as well. Lund has a great rep on here and AED will do everything they can to ensure you are happy and answer any and all questions. I would start by sending them both an email and go from there.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Another +1 on AED or Lund. They will both tell you what to log and so forth.
But yeah...I knew a friend that was denied warranty work on his transmission. They blamed his X pipe.......true story. But at least the next Ford dealership he drove to fixed it under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread