Mustang Mach E: The Edsel of our generation

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I take a dim view of EVs. The do not solve a problem that any consumer has and as a result no one wants them. They are being crammed down on the consumer by politicians and bureaucrats. Teslas HAVE done well but it is lost that people that are buying Teslas are not buying an EV they are buying a luxury car that just happens to be an EV. Car buyers do not actually care about any of "problems" that EVs supposedly cure namely pollution and fuel consumption.

But if you believe the simp press or @GNBRETT we will all be driving EVs within the decade. This is laughable to me. The average age of a car on the road right now is 12 years. That means that in 2030 when all of these mandates are so supposed to start hitting the average car on the road will have been made in 2018. Not to mention the politics of this transition or the infrastructure required yada yada yada. 2030 or even 2050 is not that far away.

Back to the Mach E. This was supposed to be the Tesla killer, remember? Here is some of the ridiculous hype that was written as it was being rolled out:

Its a "genius" move: Mustang Mach-E 2021 Review: A Genius Move By Ford?

It s true competitor to Tesla: Ford CEO: Mach-E is the first true competitor with Tesla — a Tesla is not a Mustang

In fact it is a Tesla KILLER:
Well we have 9 months of track record now in the midst of the hottest car market in history. How has the Mach E fared?

Actual reviews are that the driving experience sucks: The 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E disappoints in our first drive – TechCrunch

Which might be why no one wants them:
ford-mustang-mach-e-sales-in-the-us-october-2021.png

So sales did improve in Oct but notably inventory is building. They appear to be gathering dust on dealer lots: "The gross stock of Mach-E is at about 5,600 in the U.S. (at dealerships and in transport, we assume). That's about 600 more than in September."

Production is slowing. Maybe it is supply chain issues, maybe it is because sales are slowing?
ford-mustang-mach-e-production-october-2021.png

So at the end of the day, the Mach E is a shitty cross over that costs significantly more than its competition, does not have the cache of a Tesla, and does not get the attention of auto enthusiasts. I think that 10 years from now we will look back on the Mach E as a total flop.

Last edited:

BlackStang00

Established Member
I’m with you on not wanting to go electric. Not only for what you mentioned but it’s also not my cup of tea. I like the sound of a v8, I couldn’t give that up.

I was talking to a salesman at my local ford dealer the other day while my 17 gt was being serviced and that was one subject that came up. Apparently, Ford is pushing to go fully electric in the next few years. Just another reason not to buy new cars. And I’m not going to drive a “clean” electric car just because the government pushes them on me.

I’m a fan of biofuel. It’s not perfect but is cleaner and can still be utilized in ice vehicles. I think the content of ethanol should be incrementally increased over the next day 5 years to ween us off fossil fuels. I don’t think there is a perfect solution but at least if there was a fuel substitute that was renewable and could be used in place of gas in ice vehicles, I think we should explore that avenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Mach-E Brand manager Lisa Teed told Automotive News journalist Michael Martinez that the automaker is on track to deliver 50,000 units to the U.S. and Europe by the conclusion of 2021, which is an impressive figure. Regardless, it also seems very achievable given the fact that Ford has sold a grand total of 18,855 Mach-Es in the U.S. alone through the end of September.

So far this year, Tesla has sold over 600,000 electric cars, while in the past 12 months it was over 800,000.

To date, Mustang Mach-E ranks second in sales in the full-electric SUV segment, behind Tesla's Model Y.

Despite the fact that Tesla got a big head start building EVs, being second to Tesla in this case means there is a huge gap between them which kind of deflates the use of the word "impressive" when Ford describes its sales to date. But, I have to admit that Ford did build an impressive electric SUV. If I DID like electric SUVs, which I don't, I would select Ford's offering over Tesla's Y.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
So sales did improve in Oct but notably inventory is building. They appear to be gathering dust on dealer lots: "The gross stock of Mach-E is at about 5,600 in the U.S. (at dealerships and in transport, we assume). That's about 600 more than in September."

Production is slowing. Maybe it is supply chain issues, maybe it is because sales are slowing?

The dwell time for a Mach E is roughly 7 days. That is an extremely short time for a vehicle to be on the lot. The Mach-E is selling quite well. Ford originally forecasted selling around ~50k units for 2021 and they exceeded that already. Ford is considering delaying the upcoming BEV Explorer/Aviator to expand output of the Mach E. Likewise, Ford is expanding the output of the Mach E in the next few years. That hardly sounds like a flop to me.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The dwell time for a Mach E is roughly 7 days. That is an extremely short time for a vehicle to be on the lot. The Mach-E is selling quite well. Ford originally forecasted selling around ~50k units for 2021 and they exceeded that already. Ford is considering delaying the upcoming BEV Explorer/Aviator to expand output of the Mach E. Likewise, Ford is expanding the output of the Mach E in the next few years. That hardly sounds like a flop to me.

2 months of production is sitting on lots and half of production is being shipped off to Europe. It sells about as many units per month as Chevy sells of Camaro which they are canceling for poor sales.

It is the Chevy Volt. Overhyped and unwanted.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
it seems like just yesterday that the bolt was the tesla killer.....

That was setting production records!!!!

but has really been a dud.

OX1

Established Member
But if you believe the simp press or @GNBRETT we will all be driving EVs within the decade. This is laughable to me. The average age of a car on the road right now is 12 years. That means that in 2030 when all of these mandates are so supposed to start hitting the average car on the road will have been made in 2018.

Exactly........Let us know when Ford reaches over 50% of sales for pure EV's, that is the year they START making a dent in overcoming the ratio of less IC vehicles. Through November, Ford sold 1.72 million vehicles, with 24K pure EV (1.4%). Add in vehicles like the new bronco, which have the potential to be around for 40 odd years (at least some of them). The Mach-E will be supported about as as well as Windows 95, well before it is 25/26 years old.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
2 months of production is sitting on lots and half of production is being shipped off to Europe. It sells about as many units per month as Chevy sells of Camaro which they are canceling for poor sales.

It is the Chevy Volt. Overhyped and unwanted.

That is not surprising. The Mach-E is on a global platform that is exported to many different markets. Obviously a portion of the units being built will be allocated for markets outside of the US. Ford is a multinational company. I am not sure how you can argue the Mach-E is the "Edsel of our generation" when the time spent on a lot is 7 days. The dealers aren't even paying floorplan interest on these Mach-E, they are selling that fast. If it was selling poorly, they wouldn't be delaying the launch of the Explorer/Aviator BEV to expand production of the Mach-E.

Finally, there is absolutely no point in comparing the sales of the Camaro with the Mach-E as they compete in two completely different segments.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is not surprising. The Mach-E is on a global platform that is exported to many different markets. Obviously a portion of the units being built will be allocated for markets outside of the US. Ford is a multinational company. I am not sure how you can argue the Mach-E is the "Edsel of our generation" when the time spent on a lot is 7 days. The dealers aren't even paying floorplan interest on these Mach-E, they are selling that fast. If it was selling poorly, they wouldn't be delaying the launch of the Explorer/Aviator BEV to expand production of the Mach-E.

Finally, there is absolutely no point in comparing the sales of the Camaro with the Mach-E as they compete in two completely different segments.
A large percentage of that approx. 50K production for 2021 is from non-U.S. sales. Through September, U.S. Mach-E sales were 18,855.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A large percentage of that approx. 50K production for 2021 is from non-U.S. sales. Through September, U.S. Mach-E sales were 18,855.

Word is Ford is taking a loss on every Mach-E they sell.

I'm hoping to get a Mach-E GT in for testing soon. I want to take it on a road trip and see just how inconvenient it is vs an ICE car.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

I'm hoping to get a Mach-E GT in for testing soon. I want to take it on a road trip and see just how inconvenient it is vs an ICE car.
Looking forward to your review. Seems they just really aren't there yet for me (Tesla too).

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Bring it up here end of January. I'll buy you dinner. Better leave now though, it'll take you a month.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Looking forward to your review. Seems they just really aren't there yet for me (Tesla too).

I've covered the standard model:

Bring it up here end of January. I'll buy you dinner. Better leave now though, it'll take you a month.

I'm thinking FL.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I've covered the standard model:

I'm thinking FL.

IF you want a true comparison to an ICE, road trip it up here in January. Let's get some honest ev reporting.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
IF you want a true comparison to an ICE, road trip it up here in January. Let's get some honest ev reporting.
Yes, I want to see some winter driving in real world conditions. The little I have seen on this doesn’t look too good.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yes, I want to see some winter driving in real world conditions. The little I have seen on this doesn’t look too good.

I'm after reporting on battery performance and the cluster of keeping them charged.

If that things weight distribution is ~50/50, it should do well in the snow with the correct tires.

Users who are viewing this thread