Mustang GT question (mods)

DEADEYE

Banned
First off, let me say hi. You guys have a nice mature forum here. I really like your cars, after all they're American icons. It's good to be American.
I have a question in regards to a modded '02 mustang GT. A buddy of mine has one with cold air induction, headers, some sort of chamber after the headers, maybe an x-pipe and flow masters. For some reason he won't dyno his car but he tells me and others that he is putting down about 350 rwhp. Can you guys validate this? Can you give me an educated approximation as to what kind of power he's putting down. He says he'd kill a mach 1. Oh yeah, he also has 3:73's. His future plans include heads and cams. Can you guys give an approximation on what a H/C GT puts down and the numbers a decent driver would run?
Thanks in advance.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Welcome DEADEYE:beer:

A stock 02 GT would probably put down around 225-230hp to the ground. With the mods you mentioned; exhaust, CAI, headers, I would be positively astounded if he dynoed 350rwhp. In fact I would check to see if the dynometer is working properly. At best he would probably put 255-270rwhp down. The only way he could get that much horsepower with the mods you mentioned was with nitrous.

He would probably run 13.3-13.7 @ 100ish. His 3.73's would help the ET quite a bit. Either way you would have no problem wiping him off the road with the Z06. Sounds nice BTW. :thumbsup:

DEADEYE

Banned
Thanks for the quick reply! I doubt we'll ever race. Well, maybe after his H/C install we will. He won't dyno the car, I think he is afraid of the truth frankly. BTW, you have a nice car too. I just love the tuff stance of a GT.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Just a footnote, when and if he does the head/cam swap he will make more power than me. Pre 99 GT's like mine only started out with around 190rwhp:(. I imagine if does the swap and gets a nice port/polish, chip/tune he would put some real nice numbers down. Maybe over 300 at the wheels.:beer:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I agree with Joel, I HIGHLY doubt that with those mods alone he is putting out that much HP, even at the flywheel. Unless he has nitrous or S/C tucked away somewhere:shrug:

MINI_ME

Established Member
He is dreaming...I have pretty much the same set up as your friend...my car will be dynoed on the 8th of may...I am hoping to get 270 rwhp(at the VERY most):beer:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I recently witnessed an '00 GT with similar mods make 284 RWHP STD.

CBudweiserC

Established Member
Well, that's awesome if you made 284rwhp. I only made 256 rwhp and I have long tubes, x-pipe and catback, and some other bolt on's with a diablo chip. What else do you have to bump you up to 280rwhp?? I would love to be around there but that's the highest I've ever heard of without some sort of head work or cams. Just wondering what else I need to do.

MINI_ME

Established Member
It has a lot to do with how your motor was broken in also.....not just how many bolt ons you have done. My buddies 03 cobra put down a solid 393 rwhp bone stock. He has now put on flows and a cold air intake...we will see what #'s he puts down next tuesday along with my 01 GT. I will keep you informed.:thumbsup:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Originally posted by MINI_ME
My buddies 03 cobra put down a solid 393 rwhp bone stock.

That would be 462.4 horsepower at the crank, that would mean Ford underestimated the horsepower by 82??:nonono: :dw:

MINI_ME

Established Member
Call SVT directly if you don't believe it...they have seem some stock cobras put down over 390 rwhp....its ALL about the break in.

Dierz

Established Member
Deadeye. why u stressing so bad for? How old are u any was? Z06 is a very nice ride u have & stock alone is very sweet.

I just hope i dont run into one Z06 with a supercharger. :)

Users who are viewing this thread