Mustang Boss 302 to come with special key for race calibration, free track day

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
2012 Mustang Boss 302 to come with special key for race calibration, free track day — Autoblog

As if the 2012 Mustang Boss 302 wasn't tempting enough with 440 horsepower and killer good looks, Ford is throwing in a few extra goodies to make it that much more desirable.

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 TracKeyFirst off, the Blue Oval announced today that owners of the new Boss 302 will receive a dual set of keys, one of which, 'TracKey,' activates a secondary PCM race tune that alters nearly 200 engine management parameters for the 5.0-liter V8. "From an engine management standpoint, we've done just about everything possible to give TracKey users a full race car experience," says Jeff Seaman, Mustang powertrain engineer. "It's not for use on the street – for example, the deceleration is set up to preserve the brakes, and the throttle response is very aggressive. A skilled driver on a closed course will really appreciate the benefits." The TracKey also features a two-stage launch control feature similar to the one on the Cobra Jet Mustang that can be controlled via buttons on the steering wheel.

Not wanting all of that new technology to go to waste, Ford has also announced that it will be offering customers a complimentary track day to test out their new ride. Offered through Team Mustang and Ford Racing, Boss 302 owners will be treated to driving instruction and track time at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, UT. Owners will need to book their own travel arrangements, but once there, everything is free of charge.

With the way things are shaping up for the Boss, we're already pondering second mortgages and/or raiding our children's college funds for one of the coolest pony cars ever. If you're good at resisting such temptations, hit the jump and read all of the details in the press releases from Ford.

boss-302-trackey-1289459611.jpg

12mustangboss30241.jpg

12mustangboss30266.jpg

2012mustangboss07-1282058122.jpg

Boss owners will be very happy with these features! :pepper:

hunterp

Established Member
Wish I had a snowball's chance in hell of scoring one :( The dealers here are having a lottery to see who gets one and they have a guaranteed $10k markup.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
there needs be a track test with the Boss and the GT with the brembo package to see how the times differ to see the real value of this car.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I believe if you comb thru the Boss 302 threads on SVTP you will find a comment by a Ford employee involved the car's developement that says the Laguna Seca is a solid 3 seconds a lap faster than a street Boss.

The street Boss is going to be 2 to 3 seconds faster than the brembo optioned GT.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I would be willing to bet a large portion of the LS advantage over the regular Boss, is the R compounds tires though.
For a serious track guy, I'm not sure the Boss is the best option. For a guy that wants a mustang with a little more swagger, that is more capable in stock form, it is a winner.

For a serious tracker, I would think a base 2011 car with brembos, would be better, as you would conceivably have 10k more to invest into the car (even before any ADMs). A full griggs kit, some race day tires and wheels and a few bolt ons shouldn't have much trouble out lapping a LS car. Plus, I am sure there will be some aftermarket heads/cams packages that far surpass the boss pieces as time passes.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
I would be willing to bet a large portion of the LS advantage over the regular Boss, is the R compounds tires though.
For a serious track guy, I'm not sure the Boss is the best option. For a guy that wants a mustang with a little more swagger, that is more capable in stock form, it is a winner.

For a serious tracker, I would think a base 2011 car with brembos, would be better, as you would conceivably have 10k more to invest into the car (even before any ADMs). A full griggs kit, some race day tires and wheels and a few bolt ons shouldn't have much trouble out lapping a LS car. Plus, I am sure there will be some aftermarket heads/cams packages that far surpass the boss pieces as time passes.

I've had the same thoughts that last few weeks. You would spend all the surplus $10K on the top of the line Griggs setup. I'm just not a big fan of opening up a new warranted 5.0 to put in a few goodies to get to the same 444hp. Not to mention that would blow your savings right out of the water. Just can't do it. :shrug:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
The base set up would be at least equal to the Boss tuff, and probably a little better. Not to mention you could option it up some with a Wats link if you wanted, and still only be at ~5k for the suspension.
For power, all it would take would be a full exhasut, and intake and tune and you would be up in the power department as well.
For the serious track guy, you would have a faster car for the same money.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member

i think you just have a bad attitude about the situation. just price the upgraded shock package on the LS Edition for starters. Unless you think Cobra R's are so much junk at the track, you should really take a breath. The LS Edition Boss 302 is effectively the next addition Cobra R.

The back seat delete creates a factory weight advantage. The cross brace gives you rollcage chassis stiffness without putting a welded in cage. The shock and springs are tuned for the new dynamics.

Griggs?? Gets is big money. Always has been. You think you buy a brembo Gt and go griggs and lap a Boss LS? Dude.....um....no.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
The base set up would be at least equal to the Boss tuff, and probably a little better. Not to mention you could option it up some with a Wats link if you wanted, and still only be at ~5k for the suspension.
For power, all it would take would be a full exhasut, and intake and tune and you would be up in the power department as well.
For the serious track guy, you would have a faster car for the same money.

really, nate, you dont know what you are talking about. you go right ahead on do your griggs thing and your exhaust and intake and tune and bring it to the track. i hope you are tony stewart if you think you are going to lap me in a base boss with that mess.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
i think you just have a bad attitude about the situation. just price the upgraded shock package on the LS Edition for starters. Unless you think Cobra R's are so much junk at the track, you should really take a breath. The LS Edition Boss 302 is effectively the next addition Cobra R.

The back seat delete creates a factory weight advantage. The cross brace gives you rollcage chassis stiffness without putting a welded in cage. The shock and springs are tuned for the new dynamics.

Griggs?? Gets is big money. Always has been. You think you buy a brembo Gt and go griggs and lap a Boss LS? Dude.....um....no.

I certianly didn't say "lap", but out lap. If you look at the publisehed curb weight for the LS car over the regualr Boss, there is no weight savings. I am sure the X brace weighs at least as much as the rear seats. Also, if you think an X-brace in the rear gives the same stiffnes as a roll cage then it is you that are dilsusional. Also, if you comb through the intial release, I believe that they mention a percentage amount the X-brace stiffens the car. It was not earth shattering. An improvement yes, but I would think a road race cage would add much more stiffness. Just think about it, it ties more points of the car together througout the entire chassis.

I love the Cobra R's. I think it's great that Ford offered them. However, are you trying to say that there are no faster road racing mustangs than them? I would certianly think that is not the case.

If you look at my posts, I am high on the Boss. In fact, if the timing were a little more favorable to me and I wouldn't have to jack with trying to find a car without an ADM, I would probably scoop one up. However, I put myself in the "wanting a mustang with a little more swagger/capability" rather than a guy looking for a pure track car. Mine would probably see the track a handful of times, if that. I would drive mine to work, which is why I will probably pick up a 08-10 GT500 instead. If I was a track junkee, looking for purley a track car, I woulod start with the GT and go from there (if I was dead set on using a mustang).

I think you are just "putting the pussy on a pedestal" so to speak. The Boss is a great OEM product form Ford, but if you get to the nitty gritty, it's just a GT with shocks, springs, bars and bracing in addition to the motor (and some great tuning form the Mustang team). To think there is nothing better on the aftermarket for the track is a little naive. That's all I am saying ;)

satx

Banned
I think you are just "putting the pussy on a pedestal" so to speak. The Boss is a great OEM product form Ford, but if you get to the nitty gritty, it's just a GT with shocks, springs, bars and bracing in addition to the motor (and some great tuning form the Mustang team). To think there is nothing better on the aftermarket for the track is a little naive. That's all I am saying ;)

The car hasn't been released yet which means you don't know what your talking about. Is it possible a Griggs equipped brembo gt on r comps could outlap an LS? Of course but that remains to be seen. Will you be able to build a superior overall package for less money via the aftermarket? Good luck.

Here's the list (stolen from other site)
2012 Boss Mustang Upgrades

Powertrain
Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Forged Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling
Race Inspired Clutch
3.73 Axle Ratio
Finned Aluminum Diff Cover
Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)
Quad Exhaust
Suspension
Higher Rate Springs (lowered 11MM front – 1MM rear)
Adjustable Struts/Shocks
Tuned Electronic Steering with 3 Settings
Unique traction control system settings
Unique electronic stability control settings
Body
Black or White Roof Panel and Coordinated C-Stripe
Unique Front Facia with Blocked off Fog Lamps and Splitter
Small Rear Spoiler
Interior
Alcantara Steering Wheel
Unique Shift Knob
Unique Cloth Seats (Recaros available)
Dark Metallic Instrument Panel Finish
Unique Guages
Unique Door Sill
11 Pounds of Sound Deadening Removed
Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Brembo 14 inch vented discs front
Boss specific rear compounds pads rear
Vented Brake Shields
Unique ABS tuning
Reinforced Brake Lines
Lightweight 19X9 and 19X9.5 Wheels
Pirelli P-Zero Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front 285/35/ZR19 Rear

Laguna Seca Package
Available in Black or Silver with Red Accents
Rear Seat Delete
Standard Recaro Seats
Rear Body Stiffening X-Brace
Softer Front and Firmer Rear Springs
Stiffer Damper Settings
Larger Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Unique 19x9 Front and 19x10 Rear wheels
Pirelli Corsa Tires 255/40/ZR19 Front and 285/35/ZR19 Rear
Larger Front Splitter
Pedestal Rear Spoiler
Brake Ducts
Torsen Diff Standard
Auxiliary Gauge Package with Oil/Water Temp and Lap Timer
Unique Laguna Seca Fake Gas tank thing (lol, forgot what they call it)

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Thanks fo rthe list that has been posted 12k times. I am well aware of the differences.
The car hasn't been released yet, so no one really knows what they are talking about. It's ALL hypothetical. To say you couldn't put together a suspension that is better than the OE boss for ~8k is naive to say the least (subtracting a couple grand for the bolt on parts to close the power gap).

I think it's funny how all sites have their respective brand cheerleaders that come out of the wood work, and are obviously irrational. I like Ford's. I own Fords, and will likely buy another when my lease is up on the GT on Jan 6. However, that does not mean I have to be irrational and assume the Boss is the second coming of JC or somthing.

Last edited:

StillIntense

Established Member
Think I'm going to have to agree with TXPD and satx. For a roughly equal amount of money, you simply can't match an OEMs capabilities. Take it from a guy who has spent a heck of a lot of money on suspension pieces for a 95R, including some Griggs. It is TOUGH to improve on what an OEM with thousands of engineers and supercomputers can do. A very good friend of mine is a Ford suspension engineer. It is unreal what they do to figure out the handling and make it ideal. I do think that with enough money you CAN make a GT faster than a stock Boss on the track; it would take a LOT of money though....probably another 25k.

satx

Banned
To say you couldn't put together a suspension that is better than the OE boss for ~8k is naive to say the least (subtracting a couple grand for the bolt on parts to close the power gap).

I think it's funny how all sites have their respective brand cheerleaders that come out of the wood work, and are obviously irrational.

I said as a total package. There are plenty of ways to go around a racetrack faster that don't cost 40k.

Would you really rather have a modded GT that may or may not end up slightly faster than a stock Boss? Even if you did achieve this your overall cost wouldn't be much different (unless you throw in resale and with the Boss you would come out much better overall).

The Boss will still be way cooler and have way more potential due to the engine.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have not seen the revised rev limit yet but I am assuming the red key also raises the rev limit, where it ends up is speculation at this point.
Along with the aggressive, 91 octane Cal spec fuel tolerant tuning, I believe a good part of the unknown amount of added power will come from the upper revs.

These additional revs I suspect are not something that a 2011 GT may tolerate.

A 2011 GT would still be an awesome starting point for a track car but to get close to a BOSS some serious money would need to be spent.

It will take hard core parts to hang with one, stuff like this for example.
Sports Car/Formula Car - 8300 Series

8300_shocks-comp1b.gif

The value of high dollar shocks can not be underestimated when the discussion turns to lap times, shocks are right up there near the top of importance.

I hope they build enough of these cars to allow for a regular guy like me to be able to afford a used one in about three years.

These cars are SO RIGHT that I may hold off building a 2011 gt and wait for used BOSS availability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread