Must have mods before first track day

cloud9

Established Member
For those of us with cars coming this spring, it's time to get a good mod list going before that first track day. Some of it is going to clear up when FRPP makes some of the LS parts available. I'm looking for some feedback on the following things I'm planning to install upon delivery:

Brake cooling kit (FRPP but open to options)
Adj camber plates set to neg 2 degrees (Where to source for the Boss, J&M, MM, etc)
Steel braided brake lines (how good are the "low compressibility" ones Ford gave us?)
Brembo LCF 600 or your fluid of choice
Track wheels (Thinking BBS 302R wheels)
Front rotors? (Are we getting slotted rotors? I saw vented listed but not sure if they are slotted)
Hawk track pads
CAI?

I'm excited about getting my car early but not about being the guinea pig :lol1:

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
brake ducting, yes. LS cars get that and you will want that for tracking your car.
Brake Fluid, yes. I doubt Ford is offering track grade fluid from the factory. Its a basic.
Track pads are a necessity.
Camber plates, yes. Steeda. This can wait til after the maiden voyage though.
Track wheels, yes. The staggered street wheels are just for the street. The Boss R wheels are a good value. I may have a good set of 18x10 forgelines that I can sell if you want something used and less expensive.

dont worry about the lines or the rotors til after you have tracked the car.
I can recommend that you get a proper pyrometer to get tire temp data before you change the basic setup.

i can recommend that you buy some nascar style tearoffs to protect your windshield. i can help you with those, if you like.

cloud9

Established Member
brake ducting, yes. LS cars get that and you will want that for tracking your car.
Brake Fluid, yes. I doubt Ford is offering track grade fluid from the factory. Its a basic.
Track pads are a necessity.
Camber plates, yes. Steeda. This can wait til after the maiden voyage though.
Track wheels, yes. The staggered street wheels are just for the street. The Boss R wheels are a good value. I may have a good set of 18x10 forgelines that I can sell if you want something used and less expensive.

dont worry about the lines or the rotors til after you have tracked the car.
I can recommend that you get a proper pyrometer to get tire temp data before you change the basic setup.

i can recommend that you buy some nascar style tearoffs to protect your windshield. i can help you with those, if you like.
Perfect, thanks Rob. I'm planning to order the BBS Boss wheels 18 x 10 and square all four corners. I do need to get a pyrometer instead of always borrowing my buddy's. Interesting on the tear offs. My GT500 windshield is thrashed after 4 years street/track, but figure I'll just replace it eventually for $250. A clear bra would probably save more $ on eventual repaint, but not sure I'm real hot on them.

I've been real happy with the Hawk DTC 70/60 pads on my GT500. Someone said they can be too aggressive for the ABS on the GT? I planned on just going with these for the Boss.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
the bbs wheel is far less expensive than the fikse 3 piece wheels ford racing sold with the FR500C. its a good option. i will be using them when i need replacements for my car.

i live in the southeast, near the coast. many tracks here have sand as the soil base. on the track your glass gets sandblasted. it only takes one weekend to ruin it. here you are going thru 2 windshields a year. The tear off protects from the sand blasting.

in the midwest its not so bad.

cloud9

Established Member
the bbs wheel is far less expensive than the fikse 3 piece wheels ford racing sold with the FR500C. its a good option. i will be using them when i need replacements for my car.

i live in the southeast, near the coast. many tracks here have sand as the soil base. on the track your glass gets sandblasted. it only takes one weekend to ruin it. here you are going thru 2 windshields a year. The tear off protects from the sand blasting.

in the midwest its not so bad.

Yea that makes sense. I'm about as far away as you can get from the beach :D

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
If I were you I would hope the Camaro IRS was stock. The Econoline suspension is well tuned but mid corner road imperfections will still be problematic for the stick axle.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy to tangle with any Camaros with their IRS :poke:

cloud9

Established Member
If I were you I would hope the Camaro IRS was stock. The Econoline suspension is well tuned but mid corner road imperfections will still be problematic for the stick axle.

I run cirlcles around C6 Grand Sports with my GT500 now. The Camaros I've seen on track are not very maneuverable. With enough mods a Miata can kick anyone's tail. :shrug:

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Number one mod needed: IRS.

talk about a big no way!! this car is faster than an M3 with a stick axle. put and IRS in there and you are going to have to start from scratch to get it set up right and then deal with all the issue the IRS brings.

there's a reason there is no IRS on these mustangs.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Number one mod needed: IRS.

HUH?

WHAT??

"NEEDED"??

I don't think so. This isn't a WRC car. I can't think of a single track near me that would be a problem.

Since I'm waiting for a used BOSS, I am looking forward to running with them on track. I have run with some Griggs GT500s (on Hoosiers) and stayed with them for a while, I expect this new car to be significantly faster.

An IRS for an S197 is going to need to be a proven design and very light or it is going no where.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
talk about a big no way!! this car is faster than an M3 with a stick axle. put and IRS in there and you are going to have to start from scratch to get it set up right and then deal with all the issue the IRS brings.

there's a reason there is no IRS on these mustangs.

And the reason is COST, not because the stick axle is in some way superior.

That said, the car handles very well and the stick axle keeps the car significantly lighter than its competitors.

cloud9

Established Member
Fays2 Watts link actually made it first. Hawk Pads and Brembo fluid on the way. Just need to finalize a decision on wheels. The Laguna Seca brake cooling kit isn't available until April 1st, then we are track ready for the maiden voyage and round two will begin I'm sure :burnout:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Not only are the new Camaros pathetically slow on track, they are heavy and don't handle very well either! :read::idea:

Fays2 Watts link actually made it first. Hawk Pads and Brembo fluid on the way. Just need to finalize a decision on wheels. The Laguna Seca brake cooling kit isn't available until April 1st, then we are track ready for the maiden voyage and round two will begin I'm sure :burnout:

Here are some great brake cooling ducts I developed a few years ago. Mid-page here:

S-197 Brakes

Brake%20ducts%20005.jpg

Brake%20ducts%20019.jpg

You'll just need to run your own hoses and front inlets.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

cloud9

Established Member
Here are some great brake cooling ducts I developed a few years ago. Mid-page here:

S-197 Brakes

Brake%20ducts%20005.jpg

Brake%20ducts%20019.jpg

You'll just need to run your own hoses and front inlets.

Nice. I love the tool for compressing the front pistons. I assume it's sized for the 4 piston Brembos on the GT500 or Boss? Just insert with pads removed and "pry" the pistons back?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Nice. I love the tool for compressing the front pistons. I assume it's sized for the 4 piston Brembos on the GT500 or Boss? Just insert with pads removed and "pry" the pistons back?

Correct! I originally made it for the 13" Y2KR Brembos that came on my R. Then I found it also worked on the SN-95 14" Brembo Gran Turismo kit AND the Shelby GT500 AND the 2011 Mustang GT Brembo package which is basically the same as the GT500.

After some tracking pals clammored for them I made a few for them. Then I figured we'd also put them on our site as well. It's a pretty trick tool that does the job remarkably well and the best part is it's very affordable.

Users who are viewing this thread