muffler ??

97NA_Cobra

Established Member
My 07 has a pypes X and flows. The flows are OK but there is much better sounding stuff out there. Like Z28eater said, I'd steer away from them.

I'm sure the Roush mufflers would sound a little different, but I wouldn't imagine by much. It still is like a factory product. Try em and see. Whats the worst that could happen?

My 97 Cobra used to have the 1 chamber flows. Those were badass, not your typical flow either. But very loud.

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
Okay I am completely new to s197, what is a mid muffler? Does this car need four mufflers? I thought the two behind the axle got swapped out for magnapack or magnaflow ext. I don't want to cut my cats just yet, just looking for the best muffler this car can get, the best sound is what I am after.

97NA_Cobra

Established Member
The mid muffler is basically a muffler that goes in front of the axle rather than behind like the factory setup. The mid mufflers are generally small cylinder type mufflers, kinda like old school glasspacks. There's still only two mufflers. With the mid muffler setup, its just pipe over the rear axle and out the back.

gmantheman

Established Member
Flows don't sound that bad but they are better sounding set-ups. A lot of people don't like o/r x and flows on these mustangs as this set-up sounds tinny and raspy. I have been through about 9 different exhaust set-ups. My current set-up is pypes catted X, glasspacks/resonators and MAC axlebacks. Along with my comp cams, it's an awesome sounding set-up.

05ArmyGT

Established Member
Any opinions on LT headers O/R X and SLP Loudmouths? I want an aggressive exhaust tone loud as well, i heard flowmasters sound like a washer with change in it dont want that! looking for a deep american muscle growl not so much raspy.

gmantheman

Established Member
Any opinions on LT headers O/R X and SLP Loudmouths? I want an aggressive exhaust tone loud as well, i heard flowmasters sound like a washer with change in it dont want that! looking for a deep american muscle growl not so much raspy.

That set-up will sound like crap. With a L/T and O/R X I would go with a straight thru design axleback like stingers, bassani race or magnapacks. This will set-up will have a deep yet race car type tone. For an even deeper tone, go with L/T, O/R H and MAC.

05ArmyGT

Established Member
That set-up will sound like crap. With a L/T and O/R X I would go with a straight thru design axleback like stingers, bassani race or magnapacks. This will set-up will have a deep yet race car type tone. For an even deeper tone, go with L/T, O/R H and MAC.

Appreciate the advice haha saved me from making a mistake! i have flowmasters on now "previous owner" and i just dont think that would sound super great with LT and O/R X ill look into those options.

gmantheman

Established Member
L/T O/R X and flows will be really raspy. Generally speaking-chambered mufflers like flows and MAC go with h-pipes and prochambers. They do however sound okay with catted x pipe. Straight thru mufflers/axlebacks like bassani race and stingers go with x-pipes but they do sound good with h-pipes as well.

DTH-DLR

Established Member
If your looking for a nice sound I put on a pair of axle back Cherrybomb extremes. Nice deep sound outside without a lot of inside drone.

Users who are viewing this thread