MT82 upgrades

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Just recently got my car back after having some transmission related mods installed (MGW X-Spec standard, McLeod RST and Steel Flywheel, and Steeda SS Clutch line) and the car feels totally transformed. The shifter is awesome and completely eliminates all the slop in the factory piece. Putting it in first feels totally different from the stock shifter Also the clutch has a super light pedal feel, even lighter than stock, so its like I'm learning to drive the car all over again. I can definitely see why this clutch is a go to for people who DD their cars. I am also considering doing the steeda clutch assist spring to add back some of the firmness that the stock clutch pedal had. Anyone use this combo? Is the clutch assist spring a worthwhile mod?

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Well ended up ordering the steeda clutch assist spring. Gonna install it tomorrow. This new clutch feel of the RST with the stock clutch assist spring is definitely throwing me off

Sent from a Chevy S10+

RALPH R

Established Member
nice. i've been looking into similar parts for my mt82. everything i've read on the clutch spring says it gives a little more pedal feel. think its like 35/lb/in compared to the 185 lb/in stock. you gettin' the perch, too?

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Yep ordered the perch too. I know its pricey but i figured might as well in case i break the stock perch removing it. Call me crazy but i actually preferred the feeling of the stock clutch pedal feel. This is my first manual car so i am still getting used to driving stick. With the stock spring and the RST it really feels vague where the clutch engagement point is. One other thing to mention about the MGW is that 1st gear is very close in relation to 3rd so sometimes when i'm stopped at a light i double check to make sure i'm actually in 1st. Other than that though the shifter is amazing. I got the punisher style skull knob and it looks awesome.
7e2afe28eff06291d86773e9a57673b5.jpg

Sent from a Chevy S10+

RALPH R

Established Member
that does look good. report back after the clutch spring install i'm curious as to how it all feels once put together. honestly am surprised the aftermarket clutch softened the already very soft oe clutch lol

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
The clutch spring is definitely worth it. Also, try swapping in BG Synchroshift II fluid. I’ve never felt such a difference with just a fluid swap, but I do have 85k miles on my 15. DD every day.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
that does look good. report back after the clutch spring install i'm curious as to how it all feels once put together. honestly am surprised the aftermarket clutch softened the already very soft oe clutch lol

Installed the clutch spring and perch today and man what a difference. The pedal resistance now feels very close to stock but like most of the reviews on Steeda and AM have said the pedal is more linear and predictable. Its pretty surprising that the RST is lighter than stock but apparently this a characteristic of a twin disc clutch.

The clutch spring is definitely worth it. Also, try swapping in BG Synchroshift II fluid. I’ve never felt such a difference with just a fluid swap, but I do have 85k miles on my 15. DD every day.

Agree 100%. I now have my confidence back as far as driving the car (especially starting from a stop). I plan on changing the fluid sometime as well but will likely use RP synchromax since I put RP motor oil in my mustangs.

Users who are viewing this thread