MT H2H 2018 Mustang GTPP1 and SS 1LE

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's on Motortrend on demand right now. I'll put cliffs further down, for anyone who wants it to be a surprise, stop reading. Should be out on YT in a month.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just a photo I grabbed from google, those aren't the cars they tested.

Cliffs
1LE has significantly better steering
More grip
More neutral

Mustang engine seems better and they said sounds way better. It's also more comfortable and they prefer the interior.

Mustang demolished it in a 1 mile drag on a dried up lake bed. They said they ran it 25 times and the Mustang won every single time 157mph vs 151mph.

Mustang is too soft on the track and it definitely showed in the video. It got beat by 3.5 seconds on the road course, which it somehow looked worse than 3.5 seconds. The 1LE is for real.

They are doing a GTPP2 test when they come out (which apparently they are hitting lots so it's probably soon).

This is more or less exactly what I was expecting (aside from the 1 mile race, that was actually surprising, I figured the Camaro would put up more fight). The lighter Camaro, with stickier, wider tires and much firmer suspension didn't have much trouble on the road course with the Mustang. It took the win.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
the PP1 hasn't changed that much since the 15-17 cars aside from new tires so this isn't really news to me. I'm more interested in the PP2 and if Ford really made it compete with the 1LE.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the PP2 still gets beat by the Camaro. It seems Chevy is a little more committed to having a turning monster/poorer riding machine than Ford is at the moment. But you never know. The only major concern for me is straight line performance. It's nice to have something that handles but I don't track my car so it's not on my radar.

And wow, those are a lot of runs for those cars. They beat the crap out of them.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wouldn't be surprised if the PP2 still gets beat by the Camaro. It seems Chevy is a little more committed to having a turning monster/poorer riding machine than Ford is at the moment. But you never know. The only major concern for me is straight line performance. It's nice to have something that handles but I don't track my car so it's not on my radar.

And wow, those are a lot of runs for those cars. They beat the crap out of them.
With squared up 305s and more aggressive suspension it should be a good competitor. I actually think it will be a little quicker, but probably not much.

At that point the only benefit the Camaro will have is weight. The Mustang has the engine, tire, brakes and hopefully enough suspension at that point.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Im glad you posted this... i watched the teaser yesterday and was like "meh" when i realized i couldnt see the whole thing.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I want a 1LE in a big way... sick ass machines.

Where have you seen PP2 cars hitting lots? I tried to "build" one on Ford website yesterday and couldnt find the option.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I want a 1LE in a big way... sick ass machines.

Where have you seen PP2 cars hitting lots? I tried to "build" one on Ford website yesterday and couldnt find the option.
Galpin got one. No one expected it. Someone else mentioned one showed up at another dealership in California but I didn't hear anything else about it.

Ford said they wouldn't be available until spring and I believe it's because of the tires. Maybe warm temps allowed them to build some and ship out to warmer climates? Who knows.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The wheels are sick, ford done it again with great factory wheels.
Only downfall of these refresh s550 mustangs are the weight.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Ford said the splitter on that car was modeled after the Boss 302 LS.

The front tire poke is hilarious. That's about all the tire that car can take.

Well that is pretty cool. I like how Ford transfers some older pieces/tech that was once on some top models and puts them on the newer, lower trim cars.

And those rims/stance on the car looks great indeed. Has me looking at these '18 Mustangs in a completely different light.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Well that is pretty cool. I like how Ford transfers some older pieces/tech that was once some top models and puts them on the newer, lower trim cars.

And those rims/stance on the car looks great indeed. Has me looking at these '18 Mustangs in a completely different light.

Love it when the goodies trickle down to the GT!

I am betting that some 350 fellas aren’t too pleased with magride ending up on the PP1 & PP2 cars, as well as this motor essentially getting cast versions of 350 heads.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Love it when the goodies trickle down to the GT!

I am betting that some 350 fellas aren’t too pleased with magride ending up on the PP1 & PP2 cars, as well as this motor essentially getting cast versions of 350 heads.
You have to expect it.

Ford has been doing that for some time now. FGT heads/GT500 heads. Roadrunner/gen 2 coyote heads, if you are good enough you can see where the GT cars are headed by paying attention to their big brothers parts.

With that said the mag ride should have been an option in 2015 for the regular GTs though.

Users who are viewing this thread