MT Drag Radials

Sluggie24

Established Member
I'm contemplating getting MT SS drag radials for my 04 GT auto. Only putting down 370 rwhp at the moment but the 285/35ZR18 555 nittos I have on the rear spin like its their job. Was thinking about going with 315/35R17 MT's on different wheels to try to get traction.

Does anyone on here run MT SS drag radials with a low profile sidewall? Do they stick for you? I don't want to fork over the $ and be disappointed.

It' s a fun car not a dd.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
I assume you are going to street drive this car ? If so, I also wanted to put a set of Hoosier drag radials on the back of my Mustang, but my sons told me I would be making a mistake. So, I called Hoosier, and the tech guy said they were right, not a good idea. I mainly wanted them to complete the look of the car, but I also didn't want to end up in a ditch.

I did install a set of Nitto 315's on the back, and even with 4.10 gears, it seems to hook great and launch straight.

Just something to consider.

Three21

Established Member
I was well impressed with my MT ET Street SS. Not sure what the car was making, somewhere from 440-480 when it broke. We'll see if they can still hang when I get it back together and hit it with some real boost. 305-35-18 on 18x10s

They are slicker than snot in the rain.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Thank you to both for the input.

Are the Nitto drag radials are equal to the MTs? $50 difference per tire.

MG0h3

Established Member
Perfect timing.

So my last Et street 2s seemed to hook better. I did notice they had a scuff on them right away. Like the tread was pulled up a hair and kinda rough.

Got new SS and spin city. Seems to be getting a little better with use. I got the first set in the summer so they got hotter. Do I need to do a good burn out to scuff these up with a little heat? I’ve spun plenty, like all the way through second, tread is still smooth. Def not hooking like the street 2s

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Three21

Established Member
That's odd, what's the age of your tires MG0h3? DOT Code. What pressure are you running them and what size?

Mine were sticky straight out of the box, no heat cycles required. They were doing all they could to stick as evident by the feathering, but I'd rather have that than a harder compound (ie Nittos).

Three21

Established Member
Sluggie24, from all I've read MT ET SS > Nittos in every field other than treadwear and maybe wet performance. I'll be buying another set after these go.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
275/40-17 et Street s/s on my e85 TVS cobra with 4.10's. 2nd gear no problem hooking on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Suspension is what you seek.

Or get the 555r's and that will help

MG0h3

Established Member
That's odd, what's the age of your tires MG0h3? DOT Code. What pressure are you running them and what size?

Mine were sticky straight out of the box, no heat cycles required. They were doing all they could to stick as evident by the feathering, but I'd rather have that than a harder compound (ie Nittos).

Drrrrrrr....discount dummies had them at 20psi. Finally got the clutch to 250miles so I started ripping on it today. Thing was letting go in 3rd at 3/4 throttle. Aired up to 26 and much better. Just got home and they’re all feathered (stealing your term but makes sense!)

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread