Mt 82 weird 3rd gear grinding issue

jakhammer

Established Member
My 2012 GT decided to start giving me fits. I had it at the dealership (7500 miles on the clock) for 2nd gear lock out, occasional 3rd gear grinding from second, and occasional 5th gear going up and down shifts. They of course could not reproduce it. So I put in a whiteline insert and called it good. Most of the issues went away. Then on went the bmr suspension. At 9800 miles I put on my long tubes, offroad h, over axle pipes, cai and a tune. All was fine til about 10,000 miles. Was doing some video of my exhaust and it was shifting hard into 3rd at higher rpms. Went for the last shot from a dig and it refused to go into 3rd til the rpms came down. On the way home I ran it up to 6000 in second and shifted somewhat quick into 3rd and it was grind city. After some testing I know when it will and won't grind. Any rpms over 5000 and any kind of quick shift it will grind, 5000 or above and a slow shift is fine. Anything under 5000 and I can rip it as hard and fast as I want and it slips right in. No other gears are effected. Of course this happens right after the headers. I'm gonna guess I'm gonna find myself at the end of a voided warranty. Any opinions? I took it to another dealer to see what they think. I told them it had headers and they didn't say I was boned but didn't say I wasn't either. Kinda feel like I have been kicked in the sack really. I don't know if there is anything I can try ie another fluid or xl 18 or if it's time for a rebuild. There is no money for a magnum right now.
Verdict?

Zemedici

Established Member
Why would a dealer refuse to fix your transmission because of headers?

At my last job, I rebuilt a guys transmission in his boss 302, and it was modded to hell (LT, suspension, CB exhaust, tuned, speed shop stickers all over it) I put 1-5 synchros in it. I wouldn't mention the mods and just see what they say.

Voltwings

Established Member
That is a synchro failure. Typically what causes those is trying to grab a gear when the clutch is not fully disengaged, which means you have a deeper problem my friend. The clutch system is known to be lacking on these cars, id make the swap to a good DOT 4 and a stainless clutch line if you havent already. Those were a mere bandaid until i removed my clutch assist spring, that seemed to make the biggest difference, but assuming those dont help you may just want to fork out for a new clutch to save those synchros.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
If you cant get the dealer to fix it have it rebuilt by revolution auto, they know how to get that mt-82 shifting correctly! They have two stages of strength, call them here and talk to brad...443-231-5072

jakhammer

Established Member
If I'm paying the bill I was thinking of atleast buying their parts. Only need the first stage... I think.

jakhammer

Established Member
Update....
Went to the dealer. They are emailing ford to see if they will warranty it. This of course is after the tech says he thinks it syncros and verified (which I already knew) that zero engine power goes thru the transmission with the clutch pressed down and that the syncros hold no power when the clutch is engaged. Simply put engine mods make no difference in broken syncros when using the clutch. Enough said. And with that I bet I'm paying for repairs myself.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
What about having an MGW, will this affect the warranty for synchro issues?
I have no problems getting into 3rd, but 4th will sometimes grind. Damn these transmissions + clutch + shifter is shit. I don't blame the chinese, I blame the shitty engineering.

jakhammer

Established Member
Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

With that I think my warranty is valid.

Users who are viewing this thread