MT-82 second gear trouble

IGO 202

Established Member
I've used the search feature and have read until I'm cross-eyed but can't find an issue like mine.
I have a '13 GT with bolt-ons, last night went to race a 5th Gen Camaro and went into second gear and it banged real loud. It will not go into second gear at all, it just grinds no matter what I do. It will shift from first to third and the rest of the gears just fine.
I know bad synchro's can cause grinding but I can usually go on into the gear, not now.
I pulled the Barton out today and installed the oem shifter but no change. Something I did notice was the shifter base looks to have moved back due to not being able to get the four bolts out from the shifter base, had to make a notch to get to the bottom right hand bolt.
Everything looks fine from underneath.

I know these transmissions are weak but I was on street tires that spin fairly easily, it never did go into gear then pop out. I have to lift and shift since spinning it above 7k but I do shift pretty quick & firm.

Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
i doubt you broke anything. Just sounds like the synchro is gone. Same thing happened to me but on third gear. The stock clutch never fully disengages at high RPM so over time it wears down the synchro until it no longer works.

clinton2003

Established Member
if you can get it into gear when engine is off, its probably a synchro...
if you cannot, and still kicks it out, you may have cracked/broken the shift fork/shift fork pad. With this you also may notice 1st is closer/easier to get into.

Either way transmission is hurt and will have to come apart.

IGO 202

Established Member
Thanks guys for the replies, I'm thinking synchos too since just sitting it feels like it fully engages.
Ben Calimer has been on vacation this week so come Monday I hope Ican get a Stage 1 headed my way..... should have done it years ago.
Thanks again for your help.
Dan

TrickLittlePony

Established Member
Time permitting, can you update us later on your replacement transmission experience and if you replaced anything else while it was out? Thanks in advance and good luck!

xartic

Established Member
I bought my 11 Brembo GT with 59,600 miles on it that had issues with the 2nd gear synchro. It had the extended warranty on it so I wasn't worried too much. Well come to find out, the previous owner has to sign it over, which was possible in my case.

I found a 2014 MT82 in 2015 for $1000 on craigslist that had about 800 miles on it. $250 to install it, 65K miles later, still have no issues.

Ford quoted me $3800 to "rebuild" it, or $3900 for a new MT82. I was going to have someone else rebuild it but the synchros were on back order for 3 months.

Not sure how much your situation is going to cost, but if putting an entirely new MT 82 in yours is cheaper, I'd sway toward that decision.

clinton2003

Established Member
if your looking at purchasing an MT82 for 4k, i'd do a t56 or 6060 swap... hands down. not saying they are bullet proof, but will say they have less issues....

Users who are viewing this thread