MT-82 Problems.....(popping out of 1st)

SwampMoose

Established Member
Ok... was just talking with some buddies about how I haven't heard too many people with S550s complain about the MT82 then the next day mine starts acting up(a few weeks ago). It just turned 12k miles and from a stop when I put it in 1st about 1/4 of the time it'll pop out. Even if I hold it up there it still wants to pop out. Also in 2nd the shifter moves when I accelerate(forward and aft) Only in 2nd.

Anyone have similar problems? Could it be the stock shifter/linkage/bushings? I'm about to order a MGW race spec shifter, but if this is something in the trans i'll just put it back to stock and take it into the dealer. Any info/ideas will be appreciated

Dcrypter

Established Member
It definitely shouldn't be popping out. Any chance your clutch foot was getting a little tired and you weren't fully engaged?

The movement in 2nd isn't especially worrisome though since the stock shifter has so much play. Between the bushings and the amount of pivot points on that thing I'm surprised it ever stays still.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
I just got my MT82 replaced. They're still cheap chinese assembled transmissions and a complete dice roll if you get a good one or not. I would take it immediately to the dealer, but expect to be without your car for probably a month if its not something simple. Ford requires them to go through a ton of things before they'll let them replace the entire tranny.

SwampMoose

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. It just feels like when I put it in 1st it isn't engaging all the way. Gotta run this tank of E85 out of it to swap the tune back to stock before I take it in so going to take a look at it myself for something obvious this weekend then if I don't see anything i'll take it to the dealer.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Haha, if you're tuned you're probably SOL. Going back to stock tune won't help, they can see it was flashed and will most likely void your powertrain warranty. You can try though, good luck!

SwampMoose

Established Member
How many warranties have you seen voided??? EVERY vehicle I've owned in the past 10+ years have been tuned along with countless other mods and have taken them in for warranty work and never had a problem(including this one). They have to prove that what you did directly caused the problem(Magnuson-Moss Act). Some people just choose to not fight back and roll over when the dealer tells them something...

scotmach

Established Member
If your car has been tuned you're SOL as already stated. The dealer doesn't have to prove anything. The MM act was put in place to protect you against issues when replacing PCV valves, fuel and oil filters that weren't OEM. Not adding a performance part such as a tune.

SwampMoose

Established Member
Ha! And you're probably one of the ones that think as soon as you use the line lock you void your warranty also.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Don't take our word for it, just take it to the dealer. Its pointless to argue when you can just go and see what happens. If you get lucky you get lucky.

pwnall1337

Don't take our word for it, just take it to the dealer. Its pointless to argue when you can just go and see what happens. If you get lucky you get lucky.

Had the MT-82 replaced in my old 14 GT. Had boss 302 manifold/bama tune/pypes catback. Lost 5th gear synchro. Replaced on warranty :)

Branhammer

Established Member
I've been lucky. I haven't had a single problem (knocks on wood), but if the issues are this common and the transmission is this hit or miss then Ford needs to get their shit together and replace it with a consistently good manual. I should not have to buy a woman's transmission to get reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread