MT-82 problems: 1st to 2nd

White&BlackCoyote

Established Member
Hey everyone,

First off let me introduce myself. I am a long time lurker on the forums but just recently joined. Ever since selling my '98 gt I had in high school, I have always wanted to buy another mustang, but life got in the way. This month, I finally was able to get back in to one. I bought a '14 gt with 53k, mostly stock except for muffler delete and cosmetic/wheels. I have been having a blast with it so far and have a long list of parts on my "saved for later" list on American muscle that I am going to work on. Ultimately, in a year or two I want to go forced induction.

Anyway, on to the issue I have been having now. Before I bought it, I had a Ford dealer look it over pretty thoroughly as I was buying from a private party. Mostly a sound car, but they did note 5th gear syncro was starting to go out (wasn't concerned because I had heard this was a common issue). They replaced it under warranty and also replaced 2nd gear synchro as they noted it was very worn as well. Drives great with daily driving. However, when I am 80-100% WOT, I get locked out of 2nd when shifting from 1st. I have to wait what feels an eternity before it will finally go in to gear. Going to 3rd is a little difficult but no where near as bad.

I have heard the 1st-2nd shift can be troublesome on the MT-82 transmissions, but I wanted to make sure this wasn't an issue that needed to be looked at by the dealer again, given it will still only be under warranty for several thousand more miles.

If it is a "normal" issue, what can I do to fix it? New clutch cable? Short throw shifter with a new bracket? AMSoil synchromesh fluid? Aftermarket clutch? New transmission?

I love the car, but it's really frustrating me that I can't get the stupid thing in 2nd gear when doing a pull. Any advice and input is appreciated. Thanks!

basspro302

Established Member
An aftermarket clutch will fix the high rpm lock out. The clutch is the root cause is most cases of worn sychros. The factory clutch cant handle the high rpms Most other “fixes” blame the mt82 and may help jam it in gear. I had the same issues and a new clutch fixed all the issues except the damage that was done to the synchros by the bad clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread