MPG on 94 and 95 Cobras??

bzubke1

Established Member
In my 95 with mods in sig. I get anywhere from 19-23. I do a mix of city and hwy driving. I don't think the cats will effect mileage at least they didn't when I took them out of my car. Also why wouldn't you have your o2 sensors in?

kbornothing

SVT Poster
Established Member
My bad o2 sensors are in...I just changed the gas filter and changed to a k&n drop in. Maybe that will help some. I was going to clean the throttle body but when I was about to spray some cleaner in there I noticed warning on not to do that so I didnt. I do have my stock gears maybe I should change to a 3.73? Do you know what your MPG was before your gear change?

riored94cobra

Established Member
I just measured mine for the first time and it came out to be 18.5 MPG, but that was with my 'lead foot' driving style and taking one trip to Bloomington(roughly a 120 miles round trip). I got 215 miles using 11.6 gallons.

No cats and No EGR.

I hate gas prices but I can't stop driving fast :shrug:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
depends on what im doing... but i usually avg. 15-16 mpg. mods are in sig.. and just to let you know, 94-95 wont throw a engine lamp is you remove cats. all o2's are BEFORE the cats... so it doesnt know the diffrence, like 96 and up. but your pcm still needs good o2's know stablize the fuel mixtures. without them, it will either run full rich or full lean. no inbetween

bzubke1

Established Member
My bad o2 sensors are in...I just changed the gas filter and changed to a k&n drop in. Maybe that will help some. I was going to clean the throttle body but when I was about to spray some cleaner in there I noticed warning on not to do that so I didnt. I do have my stock gears maybe I should change to a 3.73? Do you know what your MPG was before your gear change?

Honestly when I changed from 3.08 to 3.73 I didnt get any noticeable change in mpg. It's a great mod.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I got 22mpg going 75-80mph with my H/C/I 3.73'd gear'd 5.0 on the highway. But around town it's like 14-16.

kbornothing

SVT Poster
Established Member
Im going to get new o2 sensors. Also my spark plugs "look" new but when I take a closer look at them they have rust on them. Guess its time to change them too? What are the best plugs and wires for these cars? or does it really matter in a 5.0?

bzubke1

Established Member
I use the autolite copper plugs you can get them at walmar. I've never had a problem with them. I'm getting my 9mm ford racing wires in the mail sometime this week so i'll let you know when I get those on.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
FYI 96+ have 02's after the rear cats.... that why most guys run MIL eliminators when taking out the rear cats. I had my rear 02's turned off in my tune.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i used factory motorcraft copper plugs and FRPP wires. runs great for me. also, toss a new dist. cap and rotor button on while your at it... if you havent already

1SICK95SVT

**F8TAL BITE**
Established Member
i average about 18-19 in the city with the stock 3.27s in the rear. In the freeway I get an estimate of 23-24mpg. I have NGK Iridium sparkplugs with napa sparkplug wires and a k&n airfilter. Car runs great and idles fine.

kingcobra9450

Established Member
When I was going down to school this last summer, I got 25.6, yeah I double checked it too. normal city i get like 17 at best because i get on it from time to time. The car also only has 46000 miles if that matters.

kbornothing

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey 95riosnake what makes your mpg drop so much? Is it the cam or heads or what?? I was thinking about getting a cam but not if it lowers your mpg a lot. Midnight cobra says he has heads and cam and hes getting 22mpg.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I have Edelbrock Performer heads, with a Crane Cam. Not sure on cam, it was in the car when I bought it about 5 years ago. But it is a smog legal cam. But 22mpg was the best I got, I usually average 20 on the freeway.

95riosnake

Established Member
Hey 95riosnake what makes your mpg drop so much? Is it the cam or heads or what?? I was thinking about getting a cam but not if it lowers your mpg a lot. Midnight cobra says he has heads and cam and hes getting 22mpg.

The reason my mpg is so low is that I haven't had it tuned yet, the snow hit the ground before I could get it to a dyno. It's running really rich right now with the 30lb injectors. I'll probably be around 19 or 20 once tuned.

bzubke1

Established Member
I just put my ford racing wires on. All the wires had way too much slack in them and they look like crap installed. Idk if this is just my experience but I would reccomend something else.

Users who are viewing this thread