Moving to St. Louis...Advice needed.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
So I'm being reassigned to the St. Louis area--Granite City, IL specifically.

I need recommendations on where to live or more importantly, where NOT to live.

School districts do not matter to me and I'd prefer the northeast side if it's a good area as it'll be closer to where I work. Living on the IL side is probably an even better idea if anyone's familiar with it.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
C'mon man, live a little.

Everybody likes dodging bullets in the ghetto. East St. Louis FTW :rockon:

RickwithCobra

Established Member
do not live in the north side, or east side, so def not the NE side, I am not familiar with the IL side, however, East St.Louis is in IL right across the river. West and South county seem to be nice areas to live in if you can afford.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Unfortunately, that's the side I'll be closest to while working. Maybe the uniform will scare them away?

The uniform only tells them you have a job. Which translates to you have "stuff"

Good luck man. Any chance you can get short term leasing on a place to see if it fits you? It may cost you a little more but at least you won't be stuck in a shithole.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
do not live in the north side, or east side, so def not the NE side, I am not familiar with the IL side, however, East St.Louis is in IL right across the river. West and South county seem to be nice areas to live in if you can afford.

How's traffic traveling towards the NE from the south/southwest? If traffic isn't bad(read stop and go on the interstate), I dont mind commuting 30 mins.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
As said before, stay away from the NE side of St. Louis. I've tried taking a shortcut to Gateway Intl. Raceway before going that route through Granite City and whatnot.... Will never do that again. IMO it would be well worth the drive to be in a little nicer area.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
The uniform only tells them you have a job. Which translates to you have "stuff"

Good luck man. Any chance you can get short term leasing on a place to see if it fits you? It may cost you a little more but at least you won't be stuck in a shithole.

I'm sure places would do month-to-month for an extra fee. I'm just not familiar with the area at all so I'm going in blind. I want to avoid Crypt or Blood Avenue if possible.

96dreamer

Established Member
yeah pretty much your going to have a drive if you want a really nice area. The city isnt as bad as most people think, i have a few relatives that live there. Upside is your work is only like 15 minutes from the track lol

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
As said before, stay away from the NE side of St. Louis. I've tried taking a shortcut to Gateway Intl. Raceway before going that route through Granite City and whatnot.... Will never do that again. IMO it would be well worth the drive to be in a little nicer area.

Looking for some specific suggestions if possible.

Looking primarily for apartments in the 1k-1300 range if thats not too low for St. Louis.

idhitit

Established Member
Check out Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area in Il. Nice college town and plenty of decent places to live

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
How's downtown St. Louis? Like west of the river in the Washington Avenue area? Pricing seems higher so I'm guessing that it's an okay area?

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
+2 for Edwardsville / Pontoon Beach area.......also Ofallon / St Charles, MO is has some nicer areas to but they may be a little farther than your looking to commute....

You might check out Collinsville, IL another good area. Have a lot of friends that have lived there and liked it...

Ofallon, IL aint bad either

Being from IL all my life and growing up about an Hr from STL up until about 4 months ago I'd try as hard as I could to live Missouri. This state SUCKS! lol

Tarheelsfan0517

Established Member
I live in Glen Carbon/Edwardsville area, bought a house here I liked it so much. Nicest place I believe in the Metro-East area. I lived in Troy, Il also for about a year. Wasn't too bad there either. I'm from Missouri myself but decided to live in Illinois because I didn't want to drive 40+ miles to work.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
+2 for Edwardsville / Pontoon Beach area.......also Ofallon / St Charles, MO is has some nicer areas to but they may be a little farther than your looking to commute....

You might check out Collinsville, IL another good area. Have a lot of friends that have lived there and liked it...

Ofallon, IL aint bad either

Being from IL all my life and growing up about an Hr from STL up until about 4 months ago I'd try as hard as I could to live Missouri. This state SUCKS! lol

I live in Glen Carbon/Edwardsville area, bought a house here I liked it so much. Nicest place I believe in the Metro-East area. I lived in Troy, Il also for about a year. Wasn't too bad there either. I'm from Missouri myself but decided to live in Illinois because I didn't want to drive 40+ miles to work.

Thanks guys. Big help.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Traffic can get messy downtown at times fyi! Especially if there is Baseball, Hockey or Football game going on! lol.....All 3 complexs are pretty close to one another....

If you like Baseball, You'll like Busch Stadium. I's very nice new park...Can't say much about the fans there though! hahaha (I'm a Cubs fan lol)

Tarheelsfan0517

Established Member
Too far west for my commute. Thanks though.

I think I've narrowed it to a loft in downtown St. Louis, or Edwardsville, IL.

He was talking about O'Fallon Il, not O'Fallon Mo. They are both in the St. Louis area. O'Fallon, Il is about 20 miles East of St. Louis. It seems like a nice area, but never lived there so can't really say much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread