Moving to Ft. Lewis (Tacoma, WA), any dragstrips/tuners in the area??

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
:dw:

thats not good news for me.... I was planning on going to them for a tune once i got my pulley.

I would not recommend TMS or THR for any 03/04 Cobra with a big blower, cams, race gas or a quality product. They turned something I enjoyed into something I hate. :fm:
If there's any doubt I've got the car for a few more days if youd like to see/ hear the product.

Last edited:

Lethal SVT97

BLUEVNM
Established Member
I would not recommend TMS or THR for any 03/04 Cobra with a big blower, cams, race gas or a quality product. They turned something I enjoyed into something I hate. :fm:

thats not good. so john is completely gone, huh. how much did they charged you.

mrose75

Established Member
I was gonna let him keep his dignity but I had to give him a little from 3rd gear since he pulled up on me, I slowed down for him to catch up, but he had enough and made a U-turn.

Nice! Forced a U-Turn. :beer:

If there's any doubt I've got the car for a few more days if youd like to see/ hear the product.

Well, that's pretty much all encompassing. Sorry you got the shit end of the stick. I never really planned on going with them. I'm going mail order from Amazon and then have my A/F checked and datalog for fine tuning. At least there is no shortage of good tuners in TX.

On a lighter note I finally got my idlers and belt on. I think I'm taxing the tensioner a little more than I should. It's not centered as I've heard it should be. But maybe the belt will loosen a little with use/warmer weather. So my Cobra is roadworhy again. Now I need to do my HID fogs, put on the BAP, pull the blower and put on the Stage V, throw on the injectors, the MAF, and boost overlay. Will probably need a hand with the blower when I decide to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManNmachine

John 3:16
Established Member
Are you planning on doing the work your self, what you currently running Amazon? I'll be in need of a tune pretty soon so might be the way to go. If you need a second set of hands with the install let me know

mrose75

Established Member
Are you planning on doing the work your self, what you currently running Amazon? I'll be in need of a tune pretty soon so might be the way to go. If you need a second set of hands with the install let me know

My current tune is old as hell. It's from Running with the Devil. I just figured I'd go with Amazon since they're pretty reputable and do online tunes. If we get enough people together and a shop that would allow it, Rick will actually come out here and do tunes on someone else's dyno.
I do plan on doing all the wrenching myself and I may need a hand with the blower swap and injector install. I don't think the injectors will be that hard, the blower swap just intimidates the shit outta me. I need to get a couple of torque wrenches. I need to get a BF pulley puller too. I'll either post up or shoot you a text when I do the blower. It's gonna be a few weeks, if not a month or two.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm gonna throw some other options out there.

I know Blood Enterprises doesn't get recommended here much but they are pretty reputable. I've never had anything done by them so don't take my word for it cause we always did it ourselves at my friend's shop, but we do have close connections with them. They have a very knowledgable Mustang tuner from what I hear, and plus they build and tune the motors for the SSC Ultimate Aero. I think the biggest complaints have been that they are slow do to being backed up with work.

John Reed also comes around Tacoma now and then so if you have anything that he can tune and are willing to pay you could have one of the best in the game do it.

Pacific Raceway is a great track. Haven't been to Bremerton yet although I'm stationed about 15min away from it. At Ft. Lewis you're about halfway between both those tracks time wise, probably a little closer to PIR.

The whole ricer movement seems to have died out mostly but the hobby is still big in Wa and Tacoma has probably the largest concentration of tuned vehicles. The Krispy Kreme at the Tacoma mall had a pretty big gathering of decent cars and bikes last time I was there. Speaking from our own personal cars out of our own shop we've got a stroker Supra that's gonna be pushing around 1200whp, an 845whp Supra, a 500whp RB26 Sileighty, 400whp SR20 240SX, (2) 300+whp Datsun 510s, a project 67 Nova with an LS9 and custom mated T6060, and another fully custom Nova with a ZL1 crate motor. And my old Cobra is about to get a 3.4 Whipple (would be twincharged or just turbo if I still had it ; )). I don't want this to come off like I'm trying to make myself look badass cause none of these cars are mine but I like to promote the cars we build cause my buddy that actually owns the shop doesn't care to promote his work anymore, he does it by word of mouth mostly. His Novas have been in Chevy mags and his Skylines and 240s in Import Tuner so if you have any special work that needs to be done I'm sure he might be interested in doing it as work is always needed. Just let me know and ill see if I can interest them in the work.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
Anything going on in the local area?? Weather's nice this weekend and supposed to be again next weekend... What's up?

ManNmachine

Established Member
I took the DD up to Seattle and across the ferry today, GREAT weather! Car is down right now. I took off the lower pulley ring and the CAI, I am going to order a JLT RAI tomorrow. Believe me! I thought about putting it all back together just to take advantage of the weather.

mrose75

Established Member
I didn't do diddle today. Homework, spent time with the kids. I have duty tomorrow, but only on call. Probably knock out another chapter of homework and get ready for Tuesday. May pull her out for a little bit.

Stevo151

Established Member
all you WA members need to join some local forums!

-SuperiorStangs.com (awesome place with a ton of cool guys/fellow ford owners!)
-NW-Built.com (lots of hellaflush car but we're trying to get more performance oriented guys to join)
-StangNation.com (not my fav place but still some cool guys, just not a fan of how the forum is set up)
-LSXNation.com (yes its a LSX group but they love to see others join, few mustangs on there and they get out and have fun a lot!)

anyways just thought id share with ya guys :D

mrose75

Established Member
Took the Cobra up to JBLM this morning and getting on to I-5 I jumped on the go pedal and was surprised to almost end up sideways!! It was a brisk 33 degrees or so. Cold tires + cold air + blown Cobra = Surprised Driver.

Also went to Olympia for lunch today and saw a Gray 2010 GT500 and a few minutes later a black 03/04 Cobra. Anybody know/see these guys?

ManNmachine

Established Member
Good info, I'll probably be checking out a couple places I hear about or whoever has access to a dyno. I wonder how my car is gonna react going from 4 lb to stock lower and RAI. I haven’t been to the track since I left Colorado and to be honest my power level is not fun driving on the street, and no amount of rubber seem to handle it, forget 1st and 2nd, get on it in 3rd and its game on.

Gotta love that acceleration feeling, but definitely gotta be careful after a cold night. I took the car out the other day and I was going about 40 when the hood popped, so had to pull over immediately. That has happened a couple times; hate slamming the hood but now I gotta do what I gotta do to keep it safe.

There is a black 03-04 no tint and a yellow one that looks like they are daily drivers on base. There is a newer yellow Saleen riding around on base that turns my head, it looks mean! Probably one expensive machine.

mrose75

Established Member
The Black Cobra was tinted and had some kinda blue paint or decal near the fender Cobra emblem, no bumper inserts and machined stock wheels. I'm on north Fort and I see a Redfire Coupe, a Silver Coupe and a Black Coupe every once in a while. I've seen two other DSG Coupe on main post. There's also a White/Blue GT500 on north Fort and a Black/Black GT500 on main.

I definately gotta watch it in the cooler weather. I laid down about 50 feet of rubber leaving my neighborhood the other day all too easily. On the way home this morning I passed a car on Mounts road and felt it slip a little just from accelatation, I was going 40 and got into it. Crazy!!

Dusten

Established Member
i checked out nw-built as its the only forum i hadnt heard of, odd fellas, bit misguided, and it wont let me register.

Stevo151

Established Member
i checked out nw-built as its the only forum i hadnt heard of, odd fellas, bit misguided, and it wont let me register.

Oh tell me about it. Me and a couple other members were trying to tell the admins that the performance section needs to be shown more and have more part of the forum... There was a huge debate about how there shouldn't be and shouldn't have a front cover or whatever but now they noticed how many members actually care about it and would leave if they didn't. There's only a few cool members, I'd say about 10 that I like so far. I like it cuz it's different then an all mustang/ford forum. But it definitely hangs on the hellaflush/stances scene...

Dusten

Established Member
I had never heard the word hellaflush before yesterday, and if i hear it in person i might ****ing shoot myself

Users who are viewing this thread