Moving to Florida

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Well my wife and I have decided to move to the Orlando area. I've visited the area before and liked it but we were only there for a week and even then we were mostly in Disney world. Can any one give me an idea of what it's like to live there? Also if there is a cool car scene in the area

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
i'm only 18 so i'll try to do my best at describing it. it's really nice here, there are lots of good places to eat and go too. the around town traffic isn't bad and gas is getting real cheap now. $2.53 FTW!!!! the racetrack is a good place to meet people and have fun (OSW) and the weather is nice. we have rainy days and sometimes they are pretty bad but i would not want to live anywhere else having been here 18 years. the beach isn't far away....(like a 35min drive) you have the advantage of themeparks but once you have lived here long enough you don't really care. as far as car meets there is a wednesday night UCF meet, there used to be a tuesday night meet at tijuana flats off of semoran that was close to UCF, if you like sports the UCF games and magic games are fun to go to. i can't really think of anything else at the moment but that pretty much sums it up

there are also lots of 03-04 cobras around but most of them i see have never heard of or don't really care about the site....:shrug:

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
In my opinion, there is no reason to live in Florida unless you live on/near the coast. Orlando is all about Disney, otherwise it is not as nice as other areas of Florida.

Also, do you have jobs set up in Orlando?

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Thanks for all of your help. The reason we're moving to Orlando is because my wife is gonna be working for Disney at the Wildlife Kingdom. But we're also moving to Florida because California is has gotten too damn expensive. I'm financially stable but it's just enough to get by here in CA, I'll be making the about the same amount in FL but the $ I make there looks like it would go a long way as opposed to CA.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
Thanks for all of your help. The reason we're moving to Orlando is because my wife is gonna be working for Disney at the Wildlife Kingdom. But we're also moving to Florida because California is has gotten too damn expensive. I'm financially stable but it's just enough to get by here in CA, I'll be making the about the same amount in FL but the $ I make there looks like it would go a long way as opposed to CA.

no emmisions testing here aswell so off road x FTW

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I've lived in North, South, and now Central FL and prefer Orlando by far. Disney is very south Orlando/Kissimmee, so it's removed for the city. You don't get tourists much north of Conroy Rd, which is say 15mins south of Downtown. I was somewhat indifferent to Orlando when I moved here, but the more time I spend here, the more I like it. There's a ton of stuff to do and some really nice areas.

RedDemon91

Established Member
Turn the car back around and drive as far away as possible!

Personally I hate Orlando.... and Florida in general-crime is incredibly high, it's full of tourists over summer and breaks, minorities have taken over just about every city there is, it's getting more and more crowded, traffic is ALWAYS bad on I-4, we have no seasons but hot, hotter, and wtf I thought this was supposed to be winter, and people here just lack common courtesy and are out for themselves.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the beaches and I hope you don't get too tired or fed up with this city too fast :beer:

Predatorbird

Established Member
I lived in Orlando for 5 years when I went to school there. It was fun while I was there, but now that I'm gone I have no desire to move back.

Make sure you invest in an Epass or Sunpass. There are tollroads everywhere and are usually the best way to get around from one side of town to another.

SVT1999

Livin' Life
Established Member
Just a word of advise... look before u move into a home. Ares in orlando can change quickly,... U may find a nice subdivison or area and think it looks like a great place to live and not knowing only be 1/2 mile from the ghetto. There are many areas in orlando where there are really nice little groups of homes, but nowhere I would like to live! What kind of area are you looking to move too? Do you want city living or a little more rural?

SHOLANDO

Established Member
Traffic! The I-4 corridor is the only way to get North/South through the city. If she's going to work at Disney then plan on looking for homes in the south west area - Windermere, Doctor Philips, Bay Hill areas. If you own a home now in California, you'll be able to afford a nice home here. We have a toll road (417)that circles the east side of the city. It's expensive - roughly $6.00 each way all the way around. If you want land, Clermont is west of Orlando and has some nice hills and lots of lakes.

Don't buy a home right a way, rent if you can for a few months. This will help you figure out WHERE to live. Orlando was hit hit heavy by the housing bubble. There are lots of 'short sales' and foreclosures. There are pockets of the Orlando area that are better. I live in Winter Park, we have a great (small) downtown area with wine bars and lots of restaurants. If you have a boat Winter Park and Doctor Philips have great 'chains of lakes' that you can tools around on.

Do you have kids? If so, look for an 'A' rated school. Again, Winter Park has a great school system. UCF (University of Central Florida) is huge, if you have kids in that age group.

Go to Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Real Estate Values - Zillow, it's a great tool to look at homes for sale in any city. You can research any size/price home. Plus you can see how many lakes are in our area.

SHOLANDO

Established Member
Here's an example of a home in Windermere, FLorida - 6 bedrooms, 4 baths, 5,000 sq/ft - 3 car garage $299,900

ImageProxy.aspx

Website for the listing:
http://www.realestatebook.com/homes/listing/101-3000161667/refer=fp7a/aid=532385884/bk=77003

ISMELLRICE

Established Member
ft myers ftw! beaches are pretty nice down here and houses are mad cheap...
west palm is even better but more expensive
tampa is close enough to orlando, badass car scene, and has badass beaches
youll love it down here man ive lived here all my life...only thing that sux is middle of the summer heat lol

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
if your wife is going to be working at disney then I would suggest the Clermont area. its about 1/2 west of orlando but has the country town feel to it and its the only place in florida with nice rolling hills. Close to disney and orlando without the congestion and crime of the city.

We have a car club here that meets every week so you would have a car scene to be apart of.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Here's an example of a home in Windermere, FLorida - 6 bedrooms, 4 baths, 5,000 sq/ft - 3 car garage $299,900

ImageProxy.aspx

Website for the listing:
Unbelievable Windermere, FL 34786 : RealEstateBook.com

That one is hard to believe. That's easily a $500,000+ house in Windermere. It's neither listed on the MLS nor the listing agent's site. Either that's the best deal ever or something's up.

Sorta related, but I know a handful of people that live in Windermere and it's an area that I'll never understand.

Users who are viewing this thread