Moving back to east coast... question about college options

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Like the title says, I might be moving back to the east coast (VA side of DC) and I have a few questions about my college options. I am currently going to American Military University and it is 100% online. My current major is Business Admin because I have been contracting overseas and going to college at night. I really want to double major and get a degree in Mechanical Engineering too. I would continue to attend AMU to finish my business degree, but I am going to start using the GI Bill and I will not be eligible for the entire amount if I go to AMU.

So with that said… I will most likely be moving to Alexandria, VA and I want to know what my college options are in that area for both Business and ME. Any help would be appreciated.

:beer:

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
You are surrounded by ME schools. University of Maryland College Park, University of Virginia, and Virginia Tech are all close by. I went to UMD for my ME degree, graduated 2 years ago. It's only 30 minutes from NoVa, so you could commute there pretty easily. They also have a very good Business school if you are interested in both. University of Maryland University College is part of the UMD system and holds night classes for working professionals. That might be a way to go for business, but I doubt you could get an ME degree through them.

Either of the other schools should have satellite campuses in the area because UVA is about 2.5 hrs away and VT is around 4 hrs.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I was looking at the VT campus in Falls Church (National Capital Region) and they have engineering programs, but they do not list mechanical engineering. Georgetown was an option, albeit expensive. But they don't have a ME either, or at least i could not find it on their website. We had an electrical engineer on one of the contracts I worked and i could have swore he said he got his EE degree from Georgetown, I could be mistaken.

I didnt look at UMD because I thought they were too far away due to DC traffic, but I will reconsider it. I will also look into UVA.

Thanks again. :beer:

951MystiCobra

Cobraless and Lurking.
Established Member
Not sure if you are working on your bachelors or masters, but Florida Institute of Technology has off-campus sites in NoVA (National Capital Region Site, Alexandria, Virginia) and they offer masters degrees in both ME and Business. They have both in class and online classes, and a majority of their students are either military or govt civilians so they are familiar with the GI Bill. I got my masters in Management from FIT and teach courses for them now. But they are just graduate level at the off-campus sites.

I'm pretty confident that Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University has off-campus sites up there too. They have both undergrad and grad degrees in engineering and business. Just something to check into. Good luck!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Mike, UMD is inside the beltway, definitely not far from DC. In fact, there is a metro stop right off campus and Metro buses stop on campus. You could either ride the metro from Alexandria to CP, or the drive around the beltway is only 30 minutes or so, depending on traffic.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Come to Old Dominion University (where I attend) and join Army ROTC....Hooah!

:lol: I did my time, thanks though.

Mike, UMD is inside the beltway, definitely not far from DC. In fact, there is a metro stop right off campus and Metro buses stop on campus. You could either ride the metro from Alexandria to CP, or the drive around the beltway is only 30 minutes or so, depending on traffic.

UMD is an option, but don't forget out of state tuition is going to be pretty expensive. With that said, it seems like UMD is my best option.

There have been a few changes in my plan. I accepted a job in Afghanistan, so I am going to do one more year overseas, then move up to DC next year.

RedLiner

Established Member
Sorry I can't help with any info on schools in the area, but I'm also taking courses right now through AMU. This is actually my first semester and I really like it, how long have you been going there?

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I have been going full time for a little over a year now. What classes are you taking now? I am not taking any right now, I am waiting to see the working/living/internet arrangements at my new job.

RedLiner

Established Member
I have been going full time for a little over a year now. What classes are you taking now? I am not taking any right now, I am waiting to see the working/living/internet arrangements at my new job.

I'm taking COLL100, HIST 102, SOCI110, and PSYC101

Users who are viewing this thread