• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Mounting drag radials

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association' started by niterydr, Jul 21, 2009.

1. niterydr

niterydr Member Established Member

I have a set of 275/50/15 MT ET Street's that I need mounted on a 15x8" rim. I usually take my tires up to the local Mr.Tire, but for a drag radial like this, I really don't trust them to do it correctly. So my question, is there anyone on here who can mount them or does anyone know of a very reputable shop some what local to the Pasadena area that can mount them?

Thanks for the help.

-Ron

2. SPRAYED DAILY

SPRAYED DAILY MACA Established Member

There isnt much difference mounting a street tire, DR or slick. If they did a good job on your street tires I'd trust them to mount the DRs. Some places cant mount tires that are too large for their machine but Mr Tire shouldnt have a problem mounting that tire. They mounted a 305/35/18 DR for me, along with some 28" slicks.

3. Derek@Amazon

[email protected] RTCTTFMF!!! Established Member

nothing special they really need to do... only thing id suggest is no letting them use any lube to help seat the beads they did this on my lightning when i dropped to a 26" drag radial on a 17 and i spun the beads half way around the rim

4. My94GT

My94GT Well-Known Member Established Member

if anything its generally easier to mount a drag radial then a regular street tire. atleast thats what ive found. i wouldnt see why they couldnt do it.

5. niterydr

Ok, thanks guys. I wasn't sure so I figured I should ask.

6. convert03cobra

convert03cobra Active Member Established Member

This is def the site to ask questions. Somebody on here always knows the answer :)

7. sunburned

sunburned I miss my torque Established Member

I've heard the same thing with offroad tires, don't use the tire lube because you'll be running low pressures and the tire will just slip around the rim.

I would think a bigger tire with a softer sidewall going on a small wheel would be easy to mount. Talk about tough, it took my local Mr. Tire almost an hour to mount two 315/30/18 tires on an 18x10" rim lol. Said they had 3 guys working on it.

8. Derek@Amazon

[email protected] RTCTTFMF!!! Established Member

you would think.

btw if you have a nice lip on the wheel to do it, id screw the wheels now just to get it over with and get rid of any slip you may see between the wheels and tires

9. niterydr

Alright, thanks everyone. I'll have to check on the lip of the rims. They should be at my front door tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow night they will be mounted and balanced. Then to the track friday night. . .hopefully nothing will break.