• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Mountain Bikers

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by musclefan21, Mar 16, 2021.

1. 08mojo

08mojo ... Established Member

Always! For the type of riding I do, which is mostly trails with a lot of chatter from rocks and roots, clips work perfect. I think I'd lose my footing on flats and taking sharp pedals to the shin sucks. I don't ride any jumps or big drops, so clips work well for me.

Mpoitrast87 likes this.
  2. 08mojo

I knew it!!!

96ad6fc1-353a-4110-8cb6-ba08fa9b1308.png

ajaf1656 and SVTdreamin04 like this.
  3. VegasMichael

VegasMichael Well-Known Member Established Member

BrunotheBoxer likes this.
  4. BrunotheBoxer

BrunotheBoxer POWERLIFTING MASTER RACE Established Member

OrdinaryVagueInganue-size_restricted.gif

08mojo likes this.
  5. Mpoitrast87

Mpoitrast87 Well-Known Member Established Member

Gotcha. Ill try them at some point. I fall alot so i dont wanna be tied to my bike while im eating shit lol.

6. Grabber

Grabber Yep... Established Member

Since this is a bike thread, do you guys have an idea on storage for two bikes?

Currently in the garage, wife refuses to let me hang them on the ceiling or bring them in the house. Any budget stands to save a bit of space?

7. 08mojo

8. Mpoitrast87

Mpoitrast87 Well-Known Member Established Member

Hanging them is really the only way to save space.

9. 76IHscoutII

76IHscoutII Wut Apex!?! Established Member

All I’ve riden for the past 20yrs is clipless but I think I’m gonna try platforms for my next bike. I think being clipped in has made me lazy since it’s so easy to rely on the connection to help with moving the rear of the bike, bunny hops, etc. I’ll need to get some shin guards when I switch to flats.

Speaking of, I can’t find a Ripley, Spur, etc in a small or medium (I’m in between sizes) to save my life. I did find a small Devinci Django and a small Ripmo (in that badass green color too). Pickins is slim. I think I’ll be overbiked with the Ripmo...I may have a lead on a Rascal but I’m pretty sure they weight more than I’d like.

10. ON D BIT

ON D BIT Finish First Established Member

If you want a light capable bike you may want to look into the new Trail 427. You might get it down to under 26lbs. Call around to bike shops ordered my pivot at $900 under msrp.

76IHscoutII likes this.
  11. 08mojo

Let me try this again...

I like the wall hangers that grab the bike by a pedal and have a small piece of angle to for the wheels to rest on :

51045211383_82b85b1566_k.jpg

Or, there is a simple hook available at walmart for $10 that holds the wheel, it also works great:

51045946471_30ab8aae86_k.jpg

There is a huge backorder of bikes, and bike parts right now. The used market is a great place if you need a bike now, but prices are high. Heck, new prices are high right now too...strange times. There is a shop called N+1 bikes that seems to always have a line on Ibis bikes. Shawn is the owner, give them a call: N+1 Bikes

I do not think you'll be overbiked with a ripmo. I am amazed at how well the ripmo climbs. If you're worried about climbs, go with a reasonably lightweight set of wheels and tires on the ripmo. I wouldn't hesitate to climb all day on the Ripmo or Ripley. Going downhill, the nod goes to the ripmo--no contest.

76IHscoutII and tistan like this.
  12. tistan

tistan Well-Known Member Established Member

I currently ride a Scott Spark. If this covid stuff ever ends and inventory is available again, I'm getting an Ibis Ripmo

08mojo likes this.
  13. musclefan21

musclefan21 Well-Known Member Established Member

The more I look at Polygon bikes the more I realize they may be the best bang for the buck in the market today.

Mpoitrast87 likes this.
  14. 76IHscoutII

76IHscoutII Wut Apex!?! Established Member

Actually funny you mention the Pivot...I literally just got home from test riding a 429. Although it was a glorified parking lot ride (dropping off stairs, quick sprints around the local neighborhood, etc.), I came away very impressed with the DW-link!

It's an XO build with the Fox 34 bumped up to 140mm, but interestingly, it had Shimano SLX brakes so I thought it weird to mix with SRAM components (I'll need to call him back to get a full spec list because other than the Truvativ Descendant cranks, I don't recall hubs, etc.)
    It is a 2020 so it won't be the update geo that's coming out for '21 but nevertheless it felt like an excellent ride.

Without spending an arm or a leg, I'm not sure I can get the weight down too much - he put it on the scales with pedals and it was almost 31lbs which I think is quite heavy, yet it certainly didn't feel like it rode that heavy at all, even up the short paved hill I took it up.

It was a short-term demo bike but no noticeable scratches or wear - looks like a new bike...I'm not sure $47xx. is a good price though...thoughts?

15. ford fanatic

ford fanatic Four Eyed Freak Established Member

1998 Gary Fisher Aquila.

76IHscoutII likes this.
  16. ajaf1656

ajaf1656 Well-Known Member Established Member

Don't ask me about bike storage. I had to move some inside to make room in my single car garage to pull the engine out of my Bullitt. Haha Bikes.jpg

17. ajaf1656

ajaf1656 Well-Known Member Established Member

18. ON D BIT

ON D BIT Finish First Established Member

I’m not sure if pivot has there old build info on their website or not. You will be able to find the their new build specs.
    I originally had a leftover 18 switchblade XO. $5700 retail they sold it to me for $3900 brand new, not even a demo. That and 0% interest for a year.
    I’ve seen 2 weights on the new bike. 27.3lbs and 26.5lbs. I’m not sure if the frame size but a small would not weigh more. The biggest weight gain would be traditional wheels. Spring for carbon and you should be close to 26.

$4600 or so for the new 21. Under $4k for the 20 leftovers. At least my thoughts.
    The XT/XO(xt slx 4 piston/Xo sram guide 4 piston) builds will be out soon. Call pivot directly that are friendly to talk to.

19. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

20. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

What is going on with the site?!? Every time I post it says it didn't post, and then I end up with a double post. :mad: