Motorcycles Riders and Helmets

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I made a quick trip once without a helmet one evening. It was way more comfortable than the helmet. That was the only time. Full face helmet was a must.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
23 years riding. Always wore a full face, top brand (Arai) helmet.

Personal choice. Shouldn't be a law.

Although, I'd always tell folks, over 65 MPH the only differance a helmet makes is opened vs. closed casket... Organs are still just as usable.

Last edited:

Fat Boss

Established Member
Stop being a Karen.

Their body, their choice. Their decision ain’t got nothing to do with me or you.

Libertarian forever, forever Libertarian

The state of CA made helmets mandatory due to the huge taxpayer expense of medically treating the morons who didn't make the right decisions regarding helmets and insurance.

I agree with that approach, and is why I lean libertarian, but not 100% libertarian. As a side note, I've had dirt bikes most of my life and currently have a street legal Husky FE501S- which I probably won't ever ride on the street simply because I know how bad drivers are. In fact, I saw a beat up car driving down the road just this past week with a bumper sticker that read, "My driving scares me too."

Zemedici

Established Member
Not wearing a helmet while riding is wild, I'll never understand it.

Sure its not 'legal' everywhere. If not wearing your seatbelt wasn't legal, why would you not wear it? Even if its a .01% chance of mitigation, its worth it.....?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wrecked my 929RR at 80mph and destroyed my Arai helmet, shattered the new mirrored visor. Sure I wouldn't be here with it that day. I would take it off when riding around 15mph downtown Charleston when cruising.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Although, I'd always tell folks, over 65 MPH the only differance a helmet makes is opened vs. closed casket... Organs are still just as usable.

If no gear on sure that's closer to reality, with gear on that's heavily dependent on a lot of other variables...I know countless people that've been down on the street with proper gear on that walked away at much higher numbers with as little as a scraped hand from their palm sliders wearing off in the slide lol.

I've been down multiple times well over that number with little to no injury, but that's on track so it doesn't really count haha.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
The state of CA made helmets mandatory due to the huge taxpayer expense of medically treating the morons who didn't make the right decisions regarding helmets and insurance.

I agree with that approach, and is why I lean libertarian, but not 100% libertarian. As a side note, I've had dirt bikes most of my life and currently have a street legal Husky FE501S- which I probably won't ever ride on the street simply because I know how bad drivers are. In fact, I saw a beat up car driving down the road just this past week with a bumper sticker that read, "My driving scares me too."
You mean as opposed to the huge taxpayer expense of allowing illegal immigrants to live amongst you while you pay all expenses. Gmafb

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Not wearing a helmet while riding is wild, I'll never understand it.

Sure its not 'legal' everywhere. If not wearing your seatbelt wasn't legal, why would you not wear it? Even if its a .01% chance of mitigation, its worth it.....?
The day the government mandated I must wear a seatbelt was the last day I ever wore a seatbelt.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Because I do not do anything that anyone mandates. Least of all the government. I’ll cut off my face to spite my nose :)
I am a free man living in a free state and no one tells me what to do. No one.
My body. My choice.
So you don't pay taxes? You don't serve for jury duty? You wouldn't serve back in the day if drafted?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
While I agree with having freedom of choice, sometimes that choice affects other people.

Injuries sustained in accidents where people are not using safety equipment should not be automatically covered by insurance. Why should the rest of us pay higher insurance costs because of these choices?

The tricky part for me is that my opinion is not all or nothing.

If you're riding without a helmet and break your arm/leg, what does the lack of a helmet have to do with the injury? Nothing.

So, how do you avoid getting lost in the weeds determining if the lack of safety equipment is a contributing factor?

I guess you could litigate it in court.

Perhaps those who want to exercise their rights can pay higher rates?

I don't ride, but if I did, I would wear a helmet and leather gear.

I always wear a seatbelt. To me, it just seems ignorant not to.

Freedom comes at a cost. Sometimes that cost is personal responsibility.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
So you don't pay taxes? You don't serve for jury duty? You wouldn't serve back in the day if drafted?
I try to pay as little taxes as I can legally get away with. My primary residency is now Florida.
I do not serve for jury duty. Have always gotten out of it.
I would have served back in the day but never now but I will be serving for governor DeSantis in the civilian military force if it comes to fruition.

My94GT

Established Member
Here is my logic for riding with a helmet. The helmet isn't going to stop me from dying in a high speed crash. Where the helmet works is in a low speed tip over where you smack your head on the pavement and end up a vegetable.
You’ve apparently not been in a high speed impact. I have a split helmet from a triple digit crash at a track day. I was cleared the next day to ride the rest of the weekend. Did fracture a hip though.

My94GT

Established Member
If no gear on sure that's closer to reality, with gear on that's heavily dependent on a lot of other variables...I know countless people that've been down on the street with proper gear on that walked away at much higher numbers with as little as a scraped hand from their palm sliders wearing off in the slide lol.

I've been down multiple times well over that number with little to no injury, but that's on track so it doesn't really count haha.
This^^ though I’ll happily argue the track really does count. It’s just nice to have medics on standby but often time one is pushing significantly harder on track vs on street. That larger difference is run off area

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Dudes around here riding around in t-shirts, flip flops, and no helmet. I couldn't fathom doing that.

I'm all for safety equipment, not forcing anyone else to use it, but the thought of Bruno getting yeeted through the windshield into low earth orbit in an accident just to say "screw you, government" is hilarious.

fasten-your-seatbelts.gif

Users who are viewing this thread