Motorcycles Riders and Helmets

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If helmets are not law, then any driver that has an accident with them shouldn't be held responsible for any head injuries. Even if the accident is my fault, should I be on the hook for millions do to life long brain injury because they were not wearing a helmet?

Eggshell plaintiff rule at work.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Personally I would only ride without a helmet when looping my circle. Nothing over 15-20mph. Between the shit drivers, attitude towards riders by drivers because of asshat riders, people not checking their vehicles for hazards, and just the unknown of road conditions I would never risk riding without one.

Fall with a helmet at highway speed and hit your head you are probably getting a concussion and some road rash. Without a helmet? Well, we appreciated you on the transplant team and your brain deadness.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

snakecharmer

Established Member
I don't get it either. I wear a full face at ALL times and I also now have an airbag vest that I wear religiously. As soon as airbag jeans get perfected (they are working on it), I will add that as well. All the gear all the time.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Off topic

One time I put my visor up at night just to get some extra air in my face and a bug hit my eye. I thought I was going to go blind. Bug guts in my eye 20 minutes from home wasn't ideal.

For slow riding on dirt bikes I would some times skip a helmet but on the street bike I always wore it unless it was just moving the bike around the house or some shit.

Blown 89

Established Member
Every sport bike ride in Phoenix has s helmet. You have to look quickly since they generally pass at 150mph.

The loud pipes save lives crew didn't get the memo about helmets saving lives though.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Driving is a privilege, not a right.

I always wore a helmet during the 15 years I owned bikes. Felt naked without one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Similar logic applies to riding a bicycle on the street or on town bike paths. My wife and I have helmets and I wore mine two years ago. But it was uncomfortable so I choose not to use it anymore. My wife wears hers, though. Bear in mind we're not going that fast, but any fall can be a bad one if you hit your head on the pavement. For me, it's a choice of comfort, and I do ride carefully. If I had a motorcycle, though, I would NEVER ride without a helmet. Speeds are too high generally and traffic too heavy to risk going down without one.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Nothing like having your visor tipped up on the vent notch and the bee finds the gap. Had that happen 3 times during my bike riding years.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Here is my logic for riding with a helmet. The helmet isn't going to stop me from dying in a high speed crash. Where the helmet works is in a low speed tip over where you smack your head on the pavement and end up a vegetable.

I know one person who lived after being struck at 60mph, he was doing 45. Now, he was very messed up, but they attribute the helmet to him still being alive. I didn't know him at the time of the accident, but he has shown me photos and wow!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Also, the reason is that they think they look tough.

Blackoyote

Established Member
When I was a young and stupid motorcycle rider (early 20s), when I'd cruise my Harley over the stateline to SC to go to some buddies places, I'd pop off that helmet on the 35 and below roads. Obviously I understand how stupid even that is NOW, but back then my young and undeveloped brain thought since 35 was a lot slower than 65, I'd be okay if I wrecked.

Tldr; people that religiously ride without helmets are equivalent to that of a mentally retarded 20 year old.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Had an accident on my Harley, went over the right handlebar. Displaced arm fracture and dislocated wrist. Couple scrapes. Not a scratch on the helmet. Tossed and bought a new one. Never rode without one and never will, if I ride again. I got lucky.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Here in PA I see the guys from out of state cross the bridge and stop to take their helmets off. A lot of locals do it too. It's not for me, I wear one every time.

I've also had a bee fly in my ear while wearing a 3/4 helmet. Sombitch stung me a few times while I'm punching myself in the head trying to pull over.

Users who are viewing this thread