Motorcraft 5W50 UOA, 1359 Miles, 07 GT500

6-Speed

Established Member
Here's my first UOA on an oil sample taken at 1359 miles. Oil is Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5W50, oil filter run with this oil is the Ford Racing filter. My car had 8741 miles at the time. Even with 1359 miles on the oil, it sheared to a 40 grade.

My car is a 2007 GT500 with a Ford Racing CAI and rather conservative performance tune. It is driven only on weekends and I take it easy with the way I drive. However the car is exposed to the Arizona Summer heat and dust.

The levels of Zn and P contradict the low levels measured on the virgin sample I previously sent in, so this oil contains normal levels of ZDDP expected from an API SM/SN oil.

MC_5W50_UOA_DEC_2010.jpg

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So I'm guessing that the gt500 is suppose to be at a 40 weight since it almost since to.go to a 40 weight

SicShelby09

Banned
Someone needs to explain what all this means in terms that everyone can understand. I have no idea what all that data means, but am very interested. What is all this 40 weight stuff?

6-Speed

Established Member
Someone needs to explain what all this means in terms that everyone can understand. I have no idea what all that data means, but am very interested. What is all this 40 weight stuff?
An oil's higher grade number is determined by its measured viscosity in Centistokes (cSt) at 100 degrees C. Each SAE oil grade (20, 30, 40, 50, etc.) covers a range of viscosity and 15.06 cSt is within the range for a 40 grade oil (12.50-16.29 cSt). The virgin sample I sent in came back with a viscosity of 19.93 cSt which is a 50 grade oil (16.30-21.89 cSt). It would be interesting to see how the other 50 grade oils (Amsoil and Red Line) do with regards to shearing; it wouldn't surprise me if they all do the same, but perhaps not as quickly.

Here is link to a good chart/table that provides the relationship between oil grade and viscosity:

Viscosity Charts

If you're really interested, there are some informative oil write-ups over on that site. Here are just a few:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=58

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=61

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
My car is a 2007 GT500 with a Ford Racing CAI and rather conservative performance tune. However the car is exposed to the Arizona Summer heat and dust.

MC_5W50_UOA.jpg

Blackstone commented about your Silicon ppm, but I don't agree 100% of its origins.

You are the perfect candidate for one of these, and it will bring your Silicon ppm down to where it needs to be.

th_1216001350.jpg

AMSOIL EAAU6080 Air Filter

Oiled cotton gauze media can't filter the smaller microns of Arizona dust you are sucking into your engine. Nanofiber technology can.

AMSOIL Air Filter Thread

You are correct that you should have shook the bottle before taking the virgin sample for testing. The additives probably settled to the bottom, and you poured from the top.

I see that you didn't pay the extra 10 bucks for a TBN reading. I know it's useless with oil used so little, but it would have been good information to have to see how far we really could use Motorcraft 5W-50. Everyone asks me why I use OAI over Blackstone, and this is the MAJOR reason.

1. OAI gives everyone FREE testing for TBN and Oxidation. Their kit's are only ~25.00 with prepaid UPS shipping.

2. Blackstone charges 25.00 for a UOA and an additional 10.00 for TBN. They also do not offer Oxidation testing. Then you have to pay for shipping. If you use the Post Office, it's less than 2.00. If you use UPS, it's about 8.75.

So, why would I want to pay 12.00-18.75 more to get the same service?

So I'm guessing that the gt500 is suppose to be at a 40 weight since it almost since to.go to a 40 weight

I'm confident that Ford knows how quickly this oil shears, and at what mileage the oil becomes unusable. This is why they only have a 7,500 mile recommended interval. European manufacturers are now pushing 15,000 mile intervals, but they also recommend oils that can achieve this, unlike Ford.

This is why I choose a robust 10W-40 engine lubricant that will not shear like a group III 5W-50. I want a lubricant that can resist shearing and high temperatures while retaining it's 40 grade status in cSt@100*C. I can use AMSOIL 10W-40 for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. FoMoCo 5W-50 would be lucky to make the 7,500 mile interval due to the massive amounts of shearing. It was already a heavy 30 grade at one sample taken @ only 6,000 miles.

If you buy a top tier lubricant, you only have to change your oil once a year. If that doesn't trigger your money savings instincts, nothing will.

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I figured Ford knows how fast the Motor Craft 5W50 shears to a 40wt, and could of recommended a 40 wt oil for these cars, but lets face it they stand to make a LOT more money selling a oil weight that less common in the general market place.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I figured Ford knows how fast the Motor Craft 5W50 shears to a 40wt, and could of recommended a 40 wt oil for these cars, but lets face it they stand to make a LOT more money selling a oil weight that less common in the general market place.

You got that right. They sure sell a LOT of 5W-50 due to the fact that hardly anyone else formulates a lube to meet the "worthless" spec. If they would have spec'd a 5W-30 or 5W-40....that would have opened the door to a lot more choices.

SicShelby09

Banned
You got that right. They sure sell a LOT of 5W-50 due to the fact that hardly anyone else formulates a lube to meet the "worthless" spec. If they would have spec'd a 5W-30 or 5W-40....that would have opened the door to a lot more choices.

So what is everyone saying? Can we use 40w instead of 50w????

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Has anyone tried the full syn 5w-40 desiel oil from rotella?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So what is everyone saying? Can we use 40w instead of 50w????

That's exactly what I am saying.

Why choose an oil that quickly shears to a 40 grade, and at the end of it's usable life, shears to a heavy 30 grade?

Instead, choose a top tier lubricant that remains a mid 40 grade throughout it's usable life (which is twice as long as any 5W-50 group III oil can provide). The superior lube will have a superior additive package, detergent (TBN) and anti-wear (ZDDP).

5W-50 group III max life span - ~7,500 miles (normal service)
10W-40 group IV max life span - ~15,000 miles (severe service)

It's a no brainer.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Seems kind of crazy that Ford would spec a 50wt oil for this car for daily use. As a racer, I could see that (like the '00R). They went to the 20wt for fuel economy reasons in other motors (as far as I know), yet here comes the 50. In any case, I would think that 10w40 or 0w40 would be a great choice.

I'm not a Shelby owner, but I agree that there are better oils out there with the higher Zinc & Phosphorus levels. The Mobil1 High Mileage 5w30 (an SL) is what I prefer in both my 4.6 DOHC motors, and they also have the same formula in a 10w40:rolling:

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm not a Shelby owner, but I agree that there are better oils out there with the higher Zinc & Phosphorus levels. The Mobil1 High Mileage 5w30 (an SL) is what I prefer in both my 4.6 DOHC motors, and they also have the same formula in a 10w40:rolling:

You sir, are a smart man.

I tell people everyday, if they insist to use Mobil 1....only use their high mileage API SL formulations. With the one exception of 0W-40, as it's API SM certified, but still returns great results in UOAs.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You sir, are a smart man.

I tell people everyday, if they insist to use Mobil 1....only use their high mileage API SL formulations. With the one exception of 0W-40, as it's API SM certified, but still returns great results in UOAs.

Always good to hear, thanks:beer:

Didn't realize the 0w40 was an SM, but did notice some of those good UOA's! So far, am happy with the HM 5w30. Since I now have six Blackstone kits, I'll look forward to seeing how it turns out!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

This has been a rumor for a long time, and it's one I could believe.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Why not use the Amsoil Euro Car 5w40 formula, designed for cars with superchargers and turbos?

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
This has been a rumor for a long time, and it's one I could believe.

There are a ton of GT500 users here buying Motorcraft oil.
do you think the % is as high in , F150 owners , fusion owners, Mustang owners? I doubt it,

I have never bought motorcraft oil, and dont plan on it unless its in the oil pan of a New Ford I am buying.

Users who are viewing this thread