motorcraft 5W50 replaced by Mobil 1 by ford?

hori

Established Member
I have contacted Ford dealers and SVT dealers in Canada and they are all telling me that mobil 1 5W50 is now straight from Ford instead of motorcraft.. Is this the same in America?
is mobil 1 better oil?

MikeTO

Established Member
I know when they did my 1st oil change here in Toronto, at dealership that is a heavy SVT dealer, they used Mobil 1 - didn't even mention the Motorcraft.

RSKtakR

Established Member
I would LOVE to know if this is true!! I plan on taking my 2013 in to get the first oil change next week sometime.

NJSP117

Established Member
I have 400 miles on my Boss now and I'm going to replace the 5-50 with Amsoil 10-40 at 500 miles.

RSKtakR

Established Member
I would consider waiting till at least 1k miles and you should probably also stick with 5W50.

this... because I have heard of people doing what you are thinking about doing, and their motors shooting craps because they didn't leave the break in oil in long enough.

86Fbody

Established Member
Not to mention Ford seems to have choosen 5W50 for a reason, I am pretty sure that all oils will meet or exceed their standards, however if you use something different I am sure they will be able to tell and void your warranty.

NJSP117

Established Member
Not to mention Ford seems to have choosen 5W50 for a reason, I am pretty sure that all oils will meet or exceed their standards, however if you use something different I am sure they will be able to tell and void your warranty.

I changed out the 5-50 in my GT500 and never had a problem. Plus, I read a lot of information about the motorcraft 5w50 not holding up and it ends up being closer to a 5w30 after 1000 miles....
I'm just not sure of the need for running a 50 weight oil in a performance car...
I don't intend to run this car over 7k rpms for extended periods of time either, so the chance of amsoil causing an issue with the motor is pretty slim....I'm thinking it will provide more protection, not more problems...

masonh

Established Member
because I have heard of people doing what you are thinking about doing, and their motors shooting craps because they didn't leave the break in oil in long enough.

What break in oil? They are filled with the motorcraft 5W-50 at the factory. I always get a kick out of people saying don't change your oil too early or too often, like it's a bad thing.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, everything that has been covered and mythbusted in the GT500 section will apply here as well.

Anyone who believes Motorcraft 5W-50 is required in this engine because it will fail with anything else, or void your warranty, is poorly educated on the subject.

What you should know about Motorcraft 5W-50 is that it shears rapidly. That means it "thins" to a lighter SAE grade in a very short period of time. Every sample submitted was already a light 40 grade in 1,500 miles of use. Some samples with more miles sheared to a very heavy 30 grade lubricant.

Viscosity Chart

Ford knows this lubricant shears, which is why it has a 7,500+ mile recommended oil change interval in this car. You will not require a lubricant more viscous than a true synthetic 10W-40 in this engine for long session road course racing. For street use only, nothing more than a true synthetic 10W-30.

I have subscribed to this thread, as I expect to receive debates, comments, and questions about my post. By all means, post away. Let's discuss this. I guarantee that 9 out of 10 people will understand that 5W-50 isn't even close to the best choice after this discussion is over.

What break in oil? They are filled with the motorcraft 5W-50 at the factory. I always get a kick out of people saying don't change your oil too early or too often, like it's a bad thing.

Some people believe Ford uses special additives in the initial engine fill. They do not. It's only cheap hydrocracked petroleum. That's right, Motorcraft 5W-50 isn't a true synthetic. Shocker!

It may hold up better but then switch to a good 5W50 instead of changing the viscosity.

All you are doing is driving your engine on the street with excessive oil pressure. Better formulated 5W-50 will maintain their viscosity longer, but that isn't a good thing. Excessive oil pressure is never a good thing.

Even the best 5W-50 grades shear, which is one reason why Amsoil will not formulate one. Red Line seems to have the best anti-shear resistance of all 5W-50 formulations, however, in the GT500 engine....it has shown excessive levels of lead ppm wear. Not good!

It was my understanding that the 5w-50 held up better under the higher RPM the Boss motor turns over the GT. Lifter bleed off & such....

It holds up better than Motorcraft 5W-20, but not a top tier true synthetic. When road racing, you want a lubricant than can maintain its high temp/high shear ratings. Motorcraft doesn't do a great job of that.

If nothing else is said, just remember.....Motorcraft is a Ford product bottled by Conoco Phillips. It's sufficient to allow your engine to survive, but hardly the best choice for engine efficiency, performance, or protection.

Let's get deeper into this conversation.

Let's say the viscosity of MC 5W-50 is 20.0 cSt @ 100*C and in 1500 miles, it shears down to 14.6 cSt @ 100*F. Then, after another 1,000 miles....it sheared down to 12.8 cSt.

Let's say the viscosity of Amsoil 10W-40 is 14.6 cSt @ 100*F, yet retained close to it's virgin viscosity throughout the entire oil change interval. What lubricant would you prefer to use on the road course and/or the highway? My choice would not be Motorcraft, as I would have no idea what condition the lubricant was in at any given time.

Ford can't void your warranty, as Amsoil would pass all criteria in a used oil analysis test, assuming you had engine failure and why Ford tested it anyway. The lubricant could never be blamed for the failure. This has already been proven. Besides, of any Boss on the forums that experienced an engine failure, was it ever lubricant related?

Last edited:

DallasBoss

Established Member
Another great and informative post Beast! I have the utmost confidence that my Boss is getting the best protection and performance from Amsoil SS 10-30, and Amsoil 10-40 for road racing.

I also use the SS 10-30 in my 408 stroker in my GTO, which is built with looser bearing clearances, and my oil pressure is perfect. I would never run a 50 weight for normal street use in a tighter clearanced, factory engine, because oil pressure would be too high.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Another great and informative post Beast! I have the utmost confidence that my Boss is getting the best protection and performance from Amsoil SS 10-30, and Amsoil 10-40 for road racing.

I also use the SS 10-30 in my 408 stroker in my GTO, which is built with looser bearing clearances, and my oil pressure is perfect. I would never run a 50 weight for normal street use in a tighter clearanced, factory engine, because oil pressure would be too high.

There is a Ferrari owner, his car is recommended for 5W-40 street and 10W-60 road course racing.

He uses 5W-20 because it's a grocery getter. He never gets crazy with the car, and his oil pressure is perfect. Speaks volumes doesn't it.

Remember years ago, when a car's owners manual had a viscosity selection chart depending on climate and intended use. I sure do. I bet they removed those and went with one selection for two reasons.....

1. CAFE laws (5W-20 primary use)
2. People are ignorant

Last edited:

TRDon

Established Member
Why use a 10-30 vs a 5-30. i do not know much about oil rating but if i were to change to a mobil1 or amsoil 10-30, i guess i would like to know the reasoning. I dont understand what the first number is in the rating.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Would one of the oil gurus comment on Redline 5W50 in terms of suitability for replacing Motorcraft.
Thanks in advance.

Stay far away from it. Multiple UOAs from GT500s has shown elevated levels of lead wear. This is likely due to it maintaining a 50 grade viscosity, shearing less than any other 5W-50 formulation.

Users who are viewing this thread