motorcraft 5W50 replaced by Mobil 1 by ford?

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
DA BOSS 13,

Why would you pay up to $20.00 a gallon for oil that is "sufficient", having to change it every 7,500 miles.....when you can buy Amsoil DEO 5W-40 or Amsoil DME 15W-40 for $30.00 per gallon, yet only have to change the oil at 3 times the factory recommended interval, or one year, whichever occurs first?

You could save money and have better protection.

Untitled_zps8c01967d.jpg
Probably because I put only 5k miles or less on the truck in a year, and whatever is in the crankcase gets dumped at a year. If the truck were my DD, and especially if it was worked hard I could see the extra $40. expense per change. The Rotella far exceeds the Ford factory recommended 15w-40 oil. For my use, it works

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Probably because I put only 5k miles or less on the truck in a year, and whatever is in the crankcase gets dumped at a year. If the truck were my DD, and especially if it was worked hard I could see the extra $40. expense per change. The Rotella far exceeds the Ford factory recommended 15w-40 oil. For my use, it works

Oh, I see. You already only change it once a year. OK, then you are good! Just making sure you weren't changing it every few months with cheaper oil.

GottaBoss

Established Member
USE AMSOIL OR YOUR ENGINE IS GOING TO BURN TO THE GROUND!!!!!

Just kidding, that's what believers in Motorcraft 5W-50 say. :lol1:

I'm not a "believer" in Motorcraft 5W-50 but I use it because I'm not an expert on the subject, don't want to be, and figure that the manufacturer's recommendation is the safest default, all things considered, especially during the warranty period.

KiwiShelby

Established Member
Motorcraft v Mobil 1

In New Zealand Motorcraft 5W-50 is not available so I got the local Ford dealer to check with Ford US and they recommended Mobil 1. Changed oil myself along with K&N race filter and she is running sweet!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm not a "believer" in Motorcraft 5W-50 but I use it because I'm not an expert on the subject, don't want to be, and figure that the manufacturer's recommendation is the safest default, all things considered, especially during the warranty period.

MC 5W-50 shears so rapidly, Ford can't void your warranty for using a less viscous lubricant that has been proven to work better in your engine.

darreng505

Established Member
MC 5W-50 shears so rapidly, Ford can't void your warranty for using a less viscous lubricant that has been proven to work better in your engine.

But that's the rub. When you say "proven to work better in your engine" you are referring to your "grocery getter" experiments and your alleged chemistry expertise, none of which pass for scientific, factual or even recommended advice. You don't even own a boss vehicle.

So again. To those considering taking advice from self-ordained internet-experts over the manufacturer I just say....don't be stupid....listen to real experts, not "I tried this in my backyard and it worked" experts. :shrug:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
But that's the rub. When you say "proven to work better in your engine" you are referring to your "grocery getter" experiments and your alleged chemistry expertise, none of which pass for scientific, factual or even recommended advice. You don't even own a boss vehicle.

So again. To those considering taking advice from self-ordained internet-experts over the manufacturer I just say....don't be stupid....listen to real experts, not "I tried this in my backyard and it worked" experts. :shrug:

Wow, would you just look at those shear percentages of Motorcraft 5W-50. SHEAR SHEAR SHEAR!!!! Yep, looks like the lack of empirical evidence to me (/sarcasm). What do you have? Oh yeah, assumptions, old school learnings (which are wrong), and a prayer.

UOAchart_zps0390b746.jpg

UOAchart2_zpsdbd08b07.jpg

darreng505

Established Member
Well, first. I'm glad you understand shear. Ford understand shear too. Don't you think? Don't you think they designed the motor and the oil with all these things in mind?

The oil _is designed to do what its designed to do_ for a reason that is probably beyond our "outside looking in" knowledge. So I would say, great, you have a spreadsheet and you wave this big flag SHEAR SHEAR SHEAR around like you just discovered King Tuts tomb. To that, many of us, just keep saying SO WHAT?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Better be glad it shears, as the excessive viscosity is showing trends of increased lead ppm wear. Your engine has no requirement of a 50 grade lubricant on the street for daily driving and general horseplay, which is what most Boss 302 cars are used for.

Did you know that Motorcraft 5W-50 actually specs as a 20W-50 in virgin form above 32*F? ConocoPhillips formulation bottled for Motorcraft is cheap, nothing special. It's sufficient, however, hardly optimal.

Oh wait, but you drive your Boss in subzero weather, don't you. /sarcasm

darreng505

Established Member
Haha. Actually, I did. Back in January/February at VIR it turned into a blizzard and I had to chip ice off my car before going on track. I really coulda used your spreadsheet then! Well, its all interesting and academic qualities about oil, but most of us don't really need to understand it to use the car. If I were running endurance races and such then maybe the science becomes a consideration.

Brewmaster

Established Member

Please show me your spreadsheet where you prove that Ford cannot void warranties for this use of non recommended oil. Are you a lawyer working for Ford? You make continuos statements advising readers of what Ford can and can't do but you really don't and can't know.

I trust that Ford has thoroughly thought this through and has solid reasoning why they recommend the viscosity that they do. I appreciate your research, but I will stick with viscosities recommended by Ford and will feel comfortable that I have not put my warranty in jeopardy.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Please show me your spreadsheet where you prove that Ford cannot void warranties for this use of non recommended oil. Are you a lawyer working for Ford? You make continuos statements advising readers of what Ford can and can't do but you really don't and can't know.

I trust that Ford has thoroughly thought this through and has solid reasoning why they recommend the viscosity that they do. I appreciate your research, but I will stick with viscosities recommended by Ford and will feel comfortable that I have not put my warranty in jeopardy.

If you follow this mindset you had better leave your car 100% stock. Ford obviously thought it through and can't be wrong/use a not so good alternative on anything. Suspension, exhaust, intake, tune, etc.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
"Hey guys, I just installed all these go fast parts and an aftermarket tune. Left the oil factory though, would hate to void my warranty."

Jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Let me type this all over again....stupid network firewall!!!

You get the short condensed version this time.

Engineer wants a UOA on the engine that failed. They will look for TBN (detergent) levels, viscosity, additive package (does it conform to API SN standards), and wear metals.

The important part of this discussion is viscosity. Hard for Ford to void your warranty for using a less viscous lubricant when their's can't hold the rated viscosity. It shears from a heavy 50 grade (20 cSt) down to 12.x (heavy 30 grade). Have even seen some OEM fills dumped that were only 10.x (mid 30 grade). Keep thinking "Ford knows best", however.....there are far better options which yield far better results.

Last edited:

Brewmaster

Established Member
If you follow this mindset you had better leave your car 100% stock. Ford obviously thought it through and can't be wrong/use a not so good alternative on anything. Suspension, exhaust, intake, tune, etc.

I think 100% stock is over-exaggerating what I am talking about, which is oil. But, I am happy I thought about this before I went with the Barton shifter instead of the MGW like you did. Ford has endorsed the Barton and sells it fo our cars but not so with the MGW.

Jebadias

Established Member

I think the point is many people do leave their car stock. I love the boss. I have confidence in the roadrunner and its extra durability was a big selling point for me when I got it. I have no doubt that when I start modifying it I will see very good results. I do believe that there are better oils out there than what Ford recommends.

That being said, my engine is a mass produced mechanical device under incredible strain. I don't care who built an engine it can fail. Obviously if you put superchargers, nitrous or turbo on it the potential increases but it can fail stock. Anyone who tells you that it can't is either a liar or god and I'm guessing god doesn't post on internet forums.

I make good money, but not good enough to pay a car payment AND replace an engine. For people who make enough to take that risk then great, by all means do this and you will probably be better off for it. As for me, I am leaving my car stock and using the money I would use in parts to pay it off sooner. I believe that the point above was that if something does happen then Ford may, or may not, void my warranty because of it. I do not believe that the benefit is worth the risk in my particular situation and will refrain from using different oils until after I pay off my car and choose to void that warranty.

In the meantime, I know a lot of stuff about a lot of different things, but my knowledge of oil (lubricating, not refining) is not high. I appreciate more information on this subject, but maybe you could explain what I am actually looking at on those charts. I am confused.

Some of you are very knowledgeable about this subject. I, for one, appreciate the time you take to post this information but please don't talk down to those of us who choose not to follow your recommendation whether it is temporary due to warranty concerns or long term for our own personal reasons.

:beer:

isrboss

Established Member
If I lived in a Northern state like MI I would use.
Summer= Mobil 1 15w-50
Winter= Mobil 1 0w-40

I live in FL and simply use Mobil 1 15w-50 year round.

Brewmaster

Established Member
Barton isn't even in the same league as MGW!!!

Just so we all get this straight. You are an oil expert. You are a Boss expert, even though you don't own one. You are a legal expert offering advice on warranty issues, even though you are not an attorney. And now we come to find out you are a transmission shifter expert. Amazing. You also have a gift of shifting the conversation away from direct questions and speaking in absolutes. To make comments about the Barton not even being in the same league as the MGW isn't the question (by the way, it is in the same league). The question is about warranty. My point is that by installing an upgrade in shifters, the Barton will probably not be questioned as a possible issue if I have transmission warranty claims some day. This is because Ford Racing sells the Barton as an aftermarket shifter. Ford does not sell the MGW and might question a warranty claim because someone installed it. I'm not saying they will, but they might. I went with TracKey as a tune. Not because I wanted a tune, but because it was endorsed by Ford and I think it is part of the whole Boss 302 experience. And yes, it is warrantied by Ford. Are you getting my drift?
Now, back to oil. I am not saying one brand is better than another or one viscosity is better than another. But like I said before and as others have reiterated, I will stay with the viscosity recommendations by Ford so that my warranty is not voidable or questionable. I would have given you the condensed version of this but I think the substance between your ears is a bit viscous. My suggestion to you is to stick with showing all your statistics, spreadsheets, and calculations, but refrain from absolutes and issuing legal advice. :bash:

Last edited:

TRDon

Established Member
Just so we all get this straight. You are an oil expert. You are a Boss expert, even though you don't own one. You are a legal expert offering advice on warranty issues, even though you are not an attorney. And now we come to find out you are a transmission shifter expert. Amazing. You also have a gift of shifting the conversation away from direct questions and speaking in absolutes. To make comments about the Barton not even being in the same league as the MGW isn't the question (by the way, it is in the same league). The question is about warranty. My point is that by installing an upgrade in shifters, the Barton will probably not be questioned as a possible issue if I have transmission warranty claims some day. This is because Ford Racing sells the Barton as an aftermarket shifter. Ford does not sell the MGW and might question a warranty claim because someone installed it. I'm not saying they will, but they might. I went with TracKey as a tune. Not because I wanted a tune, but because it was endorsed by Ford and I think it is part of the whole Boss 302 experience. And yes, it is warrantied by Ford. Are you getting my drift?
Now, back to oil. I am not saying one brand is better than another or one viscosity is better than another. But like I said before and as others have reiterated, I will stay with the viscosity recommendations by Ford so that my warranty is not voidable or questionable. I would have given you the condensed version of this but I think the substance between your ears is a bit viscous. My suggestion to you is to stick with showing all your statistics, spreadsheets, and calculations, but refrain from absolutes and issuing legal advice. :bash:
If you choose to use an oil proven to increase heavy metal wear inside of an engine instead of something more suited for your driving style, more power to you. Just because you have a shifter that is made by the same company ford racing uses, dont think for a second they wont try do deny warranty because it doesnt say ford on it.

As far as a lubrication expert for the boss as a whole, there isnt enough decernable difference in the interal mechanicals of the boss vs the coyote to say that the lubrication need are different. Even if there was, there is enough uoas out there to show that you thought process is not the greatest for engine longevity with heavy metals in the oil with 5-50 use vs almpst anything else.

Good luck with your warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread