Motor rebuild help

Sn95steve

Established Member
Left my Teksid Block and crank from my 98 cobra in storage after the bearings went and seized the motor. I had previously stripped the block and went back to a rusty forged crank (mostly on the counter weights) and rusty piston sleeves. How screwed am i and what am i looking at on average to rebuild this motor labor wise. Think it might need sleeves and some journal work from the seized bearing. Crank will also need something done to deal with the rust and possible damage from bearing. Everyone convinced me to rebuild rather than find a short block so hopefully some of you will have some great insight.

Thank in Advance

SVT GI

Established Member
I don’t think anyone here is going to be able to give you insight on what it will take to get your parts cleaned up, machined and ready for use. You need to take the parts in and have them assessed. Rust in cylinders could need just a hone or could be bad enough to need sleeves or anything in between, same with your crank. That will determine what costs you’re looking at. We can’t tell you it’s going to cost $180 to hone the cylinders, $150 to hot tank your block or $125 to turn and polish your crank. Prices based on location of services are all over the place. As for looking for a machine shop, my best advice is to make sure they are familiar with Ford Modular motors, and also have them give you pricing options for assembly as well.

These motors aren’t cheap to build even in stock factory specs. I do my own assembly but as an example. I have ~$12K in parts and machining alone in my personal motor (intake to oil pan). I’m doing a factory rebuild on my sons 97 Cobra reusing everything from bottom end. I’m at $1100 just in gaskets, seals, bearings, rings, oil pump, bolts, timing kit. Doesn’t include machining costs. If you’re looking for a ball park on just labor to assemble a short block I’d say around $3-500. For a long block probably closer to $1K.

Most engine builders aren’t going to let you drop off a bunch of parts and you tell them to put it together. They’ll want to be involved with the parts selection and machining process. I don’t know who “everyone “ is telling you to just rebuild what you have, but if you’re not comfortable in the build process and after you add up parts and machining costs it may be cheaper to just buy an already built short block.

Standard bore Teksid block - $400
Forged crank -$4-600
Forged rods - $8-1100
Forged pistons - $8-1000
Rings - $225
Bearings - $150

For reference, if you take the low end ball park prices of current values on parts and found a built short block from a builder for around $4K and after considering machining and assembly you’ll be in the ball park. Or if you take all your parts to a local machine shop and they can assemble then now you have a reference of what your parts are saving you. Except if you use your rods and pistons of course.

Users who are viewing this thread