Motor Oil grades- educate me please

jshen

Established Member
I just bought a Genesis G70 3.3 turbo car and the manufacturers book says use "ACEA A5 or ABOVE".....5/30 I understand...but what in the hell is ABOVE ACEA A5????? I spent an hour googling this and still don't have an answer...

Guys, I am old geezer and all these grades/classifications are beyond me. Local dealer did not have clue as to the 7.5 qts. needed nor did they know about the classification.

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Balt21

Established Member
I haven't specifically heard of ACEA A5, but I remember my VW GTI had to use VW approved oil, a quick google says it was VW502. It was usually listed on the back of the bottles, I believe most of the Euro spec oils qualifies for VW.

I'm guessing ACEA A5 is a similar thing. I looked at a couple oil manufacturers and if you look under specifications it lists the grades. Here is a Pennzoil that meets ACEA A5Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and here is a Mobil 1 that meets it Mobil 1™ Annual Protection | Mobil™ Motor Oils

The Mobil 1 site has a "find the right oil" button that lets you select your car and it recommends oil. I just picked the 1st engine option (advanced 4 cyl), so that might not be right for your car, but it meets the ACEA A5 spec.

Someone else can probably explain what it actually means.

Coiled03

Established Member
Think of ACEA as the European equivalent to SAE standards. The difference being it doesn't specify viscosity at cold or hot temperatures. It simply designates what the oil is intended for.

ACEA Engine Oil Specifications - oilspecifications.org

A1 Fuel economy petrol
A2 Standard performance level (now obsolete)
A3 High performance and/or extended drain
A4 Reserved for future use in certain direct injection engines
A5 Combines A1 fuel economy with A3 performance

Probably best to just go to a different dealer if the one you talked to didn't seem knowledgeable.

jshen

Established Member
Thank you all!! What threw me was the "or above" which implies there is better oil... This car has a 10 bolt attached floor pan that has to be removed to change oil...I read into that Jiffy Lube ain't a place to change oil. I am changing at 1000 miles to clear out initial breaking in crap. Genesis is a rarity in Savannah, GA....

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
There are nifty devices that suck the oil out of the dipstick tube (if the car still has one). You pump it up to build vaccum and let it go until you suck up air from your oil pan. Used it all the time on my M Roadster as getting under it and removing the skid pads/aero under the car to get to the drain bolt was ridiculous. The filter like most bmw's was just the element in a canister at the front of the engine (S52) so easily accessed with just the hood up. Swap the element and gasket after pumping all the oil out, fill it with amsoil European blend and get a paperclip to jump pin 7 to 19 for 4-5 seconds to reset the service indicator lights/oil life. So nice to change it without needing to jack up or get under the car.

Sent from my Note9

Users who are viewing this thread