Motor Ground Cable Help

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am needing to get a ground from the motor to the chassis. It has never been on my car. I believe it attaches to the back of the head--not sure which side. Where does the other end of the cable attach? A picture would be great if anyone has one.

Thanks, Tom

robertlyons

Established Member
I am needing to get a ground from the motor to the chassis. It has never been on my car. I believe it attaches to the back of the head--not sure which side. Where does the other end of the cable attach? A picture would be great if anyone has one.

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

It's a race car. Put a decent sized cable from the block to the chassis in the most convenient spot for you, out of the way of everything else but easy enough to install. You can also go crazy and run one from the tranny to the chassis as well. And, I assume you already have a big honkin' cable from the battery to the chassis as well.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Tom,

It's a race car. Put a decent sized cable from the block to the chassis in the most convenient spot for you, out of the way of everything else but easy enough to install. You can also go crazy and run one from the tranny to the chassis as well. And, I assume you already have a big honkin' cable from the battery to the chassis as well.

Bob,

I can't figure out where it attaches on the body side. From memory, I believe it was actually a screw to the firewall but I was hoping to find a "meatier" location. I have headers to deal with and there really aren't any good bolts that are present anywhere from the shock towers back. Back of the head is easy for the block side. Yes on battery to chassis.

Tom

railroad

Established Member
I would run the neg from the battery to the engine/trans and under the same bolt run a cable to the frame. The frame does not have to be grounded unless you use it instead of wire to ground other components.

robertlyons

Established Member
I would run the neg from the battery to the engine/trans and under the same bolt run a cable to the frame. The frame does not have to be grounded unless you use it instead of wire to ground other components.
Tommy,

I'm with Railroad on this one. Yes, in stock form there was a grounding strap from some bolt on the back of the engine to a screw of some sort on the firewall. But what I have done on other cars I've owned with a lot of electronics is to run a big, honkin' cable (BHC) from the battery negative to the body, then from the body to where the regular battery negative attaches to the engine block back to some readily accessible bolt on the frame rail (there are tons of choices of used and factory pre-stamped holes), and then from there run a cable to the transmission. If you really want to get wacky, run a cable to both heads from the frame as well. I think back in the day doing this was called "hyper grounding".

Users who are viewing this thread