Mortgage Rates north of 7%

shurur

Established Member
Tezz,

You are assuming a lot about the folks at the registers. When the economy dies, it is really about who you know that keeps you in work. We don't live in a real meritocracy.

I was a cashier at HD making $8.03 and driving 61 miles one way. Prior to that I was an IC design engineer.

Folks who got lucky in 2008 who want to believe in the lie of a meritocracy will chime in and say I was a lousy engineer.

10 patents and two stolen ideas, one from a competitor right off the datasheet (after others said my idea was not unique) and another by my own boss says different

I got asked back in 2015 for $100k, but was too sour about it all by then..it was also only a hired gun one year contract.

I am finally teaching HS freshman math after substituting since 2015, and trying to get in the club.

This is America; you can't know who is serving you at the register.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Tezz,

You are assuming a lot about the folks at the registers. When the economy dies, it is really about who you know that keeps you in work. We don't live in a real meritocracy.

I was a cashier at HD making $8.03 and driving 61 miles one way. Prior to that I was an IC design engineer.

Folks who got lucky in 2008 who want to believe in the lie of a meritocracy will chime in and say I was a lousy engineer.

10 patents and two stolen ideas, one from a competitor right off the datasheet (after others said my idea was not unique) and another by my own boss says different

I got asked back in 2015 for $100k, but was too sour about it all by then..it was also only a hired gun one year contract.

I am finally teaching HS freshman math after substituting since 2015, and trying to get in the club.

I worked in a super market deli… when I was 16.

I have experience enough to make those assumptions.

As for the “who you know” deal…. That definitely has some merit to it. Not for me. I got where I am through learning my craft, hard work and an excellent work ethic. I knew NO ONE in the energy field when I started back in 98’.

I just impressed the **** out of the interview panel and they hired me into a local utility. People there were shocked saying the same thing you are… “well you had to have known someone.”

Nope. They finally hired someone that was skilled rather than someone’s brother in law.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
There are already Kiosks in some McDonald's but people don't like using them.

Older folks know how to navigate on Facebook and TikTok but apparently can't order their food correctly even if it has pictures lol

Kiosks are where it's at.

They give you deals right on the screen, like buy one, get one on random shit that you probably wouldn't get at the counter.

Tezz,

My second job when I was in high school was during the recession, I set up an arts and crafts store. One of the guys I worked with was an engineer who got let go and worked there and walmart to pay bills.

Nothing he did or said would lead you to believe he was particularly smart or a hard worker. He was a nice guy.

shurur

Established Member
Everyone likes to believe they made all their own breaks, don't recall knowing someone before getting in, and that their success was all theirs. These were the expected responses.

I hired a guy who was living in a tent over a guy with Two degrees. I gave him that break and he, at least, thanked me when I was downsized.

Everyone has a right to pride in their work and where they landed on their own...even those you put down in retail.

No one has a right to make themselves feel better about themselves by putting someone else down.

Everyone gets a different load to carry in life.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Everyone likes to believe they made all their own breaks, don't recall knowing someone before getting in, and that their success was all theirs. These were the expected responses.

I hired a guy who was living in a tent over a guy with Two degrees. I gave him that break and he, at least, thanked me when I was downsized.

Everyone has a right to pride in their work and where they landed on their own...even those you put down in retail.

No one has a right to make themselves feel better about themselves by putting someone else down.

Everyone gets a different load to carry in life.

I can’t help you here man. I was poor white trash. Both my dad and I are self made men. He made a life/career change just before I started in the industry and has done very well since then.

Neither of us knew anyone in our respective industries. Hard work, skill and tenacity are what made us. Idk what to tell you. Maybe it’s just different for Trades people than for College folk.

shurur

Established Member
I can’t help you here man. I was poor white trash. Both my dad and I are self made men. He made a life/career change just before I started in the industry and has done very well since then.

Neither of us knew anyone in our respective industries. Hard work, skill and tenacity are what made us. Idk what to tell you. Maybe it’s just different for Trades people than for College folk.
I am the son of a VT Dairy farmer...a whopping 35 acre farm...6 years USN..no GI Bill for my time.

What I am saying is that nobody is truly self made. Plenty of folks make the same decisions and things don't pan out for them, while it does for others.

I hope you never have to eat your own words.
Best of luck to you.

JimCSHO

Established Member
I am one of 8 kids and no one set us up. We all worked our way through college or trade school and found our way. I didn't know anyone at the firm I am at now, saw they were looking for someone as Sr. Estate Planning Attorney and sent my resume in - did a couple of Zoom meetings and they made an offer based upon my experience as an estate planning attorney in private practice and as a trust officer with a couple of banks (and didn't have anyone grease the wheels for my offers from the banks. All was based upon getting known in industry).

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
What I am saying is that nobody is truly self made. Plenty of folks make the same decisions and things don't pan out for them, while it does for others.
What kind of commie shit is this? Nobody? You must not know many people.

From one engineer to another, you should not be unemployed for long if you are willing to relocate. There are always engineering jobs everywhere.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
IMG_4302.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I worked in a super market deli… when I was 16.

I have experience enough to make those assumptions.

As for the “who you know” deal…. That definitely has some merit to it. Not for me. I got where I am through learning my craft, hard work and an excellent work ethic. I knew NO ONE in the energy field when I started back in 98’.

I just impressed the **** out of the interview panel and they hired me into a local utility. People there were shocked saying the same thing you are… “well you had to have known someone.”

Nope. They finally hired someone that was skilled rather than someone’s brother in law.
So you know that's the exception rather than the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread