Moroso Open Track Event

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
As an update I had the first track day in my 03 today.

The day didn't start out good as the first lap of my run group on turn 3 a guy that was a ways in front of me ran head on into the wall full speed it looked like he didn't turn or try to stop at all. I was coming into turn 2a when it happened and the corner worker had the black flag out and my instructor responded what could have happened already. If you want to see the map of the track it is here Moroso Track . It was an older guy driving and he was not aware of the turn and he smashed his front end majority and the instructor in his car was air lifted to the hospital and he was transported. This incident caused our session to be cancelled.

I then went out with my instructor in the expert group in her 2003 Cobra which was stock. It was a good run she said she only drives 6/10s since it is here daily driver, but she I think she was pushing the car much harder then that given the stock limitations of the car. Then it was my session again and we went out and I was trying to follow her line, but since my car was so much tighter then hers it did change how my car followed her line. I was having a major issue in that my car was so much faster then the other cars on the field and they were not letting me pass I would get stuck behind them. After the first lap I went down the staging area to see if I could get a better position and did. I still caught back up with the trailing car which was another 03 Cobra that waved me by between on the long straight between turns 10 and 1. After the driver came over and said it sounded like a jet when I blew by him and he was at full throttle and I passed him like he was standing still. After about the 4th lap she wanted to go back in because I think she was really nervous to be out there after what happened earlier, she was afraid of how powerful my car is, and after one of the turns she said ok now floor it while I was still turning which did cause it to drift which I don’t believe she was expecting even though I was still in control. She then told me she was surprised how gentle I was at controlling my car which she didn’t expect because guys usually are not that like that especially at first. She then told me she was good at teaching beginners, but I was way past what she had to offer. Next thing I know she had talked to Dario at Steeda and I was to ride with one of his professional drivers in their number 20 00R car during the next expert session. Dario then talked to me for a while and he was very helpful and easy to talk with and eager to help even though my Suspension is 99% Maximum Motorsports. He was surprised I was running such a high spring rate especially when I told him I daily drive it.

The run with Lance was very informative and productive. We had a small issue with the car during the second lap, but nothing they couldn’t fix in a matter of minutes. I went out with Lance in one of Steedas other cars while they resolved it. He was very helpful and knowledgeable.

Now my solo run was up. I was able to get in the front of the line so I had clear road ahead of me. So from that point on I was pushing it pretty hard and over 1 turn ahead of the next car for the first lap. My rear was feeling really floaty which was causing major concern so I went in to check and make sure everything was good. Everything looked good so I went back out. I was pushing it probably harder then I should have trying to follow Lance’s lines. I didn’t hit all of the apexes and some turns were much easier for me then others. The floating issue was causing me to brake much earlier then I really had to and enter into the turns earlier then I should have. The last two laps my car started going over the half way point on the gauge which means it was about to overheat so I took them easy and let my car cool back down. When I went back in my instructor which was watching my session was amazed at how fast I was going through it and how fast my car really was.

I then took a ride with here boyfriend who was also an expert instructor in his S2000. He took two laps in that car before he had enough for the day and wanted to save his tires for an autox session he had later in the week. I was amazed at how close his lines in the S2000 were to Lances in the 00R and mine in my 03 considering the major handling advantages that car is suppose to have.

Time for my last session. After my first lap going down between turns 1 and 2 my windshield was splashed with intercooler fluid which I thought was the car in front of me at first. The I realized it might have come from mine, but the corner workers were not giving me the meatball that they were seeing anything wrong so I limped around the track and got off to check the car. It looks like it was just a pressure blow-off from the cap which sprayed a significant amount of fluid about ¼ gallon under my hood and through the vent holes. I let the car cool down then filled it up with some more water and started it up to make sure everything was good. It seemed fine so I drove home without any issues.

So overall a great experience. I will have to do something about cooling and tires before my next run.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Glad you had a great first time out, Brian. The bug has bit, so be ready to be pulled in big time!!!

Most of the time, instructors teach the "safe" line. Basically, late apex all corners. It's safer so you don't run out of track at corner exit. You have alot of car and I applaud you for restraining yourself and driving smart.

Brian

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
Welcome to the road course. We've been expecting you.

How did the Porterfield's hold up?

I didn't use my Porterfields street pads I had Hawks HT10s on the front and PFC 90s on the rear. When I was driving with the instructor I was having a lot of problems keeping them hot and biting like I felt they should. When I was driving by myself they seemed to be working much better, but still was not really confident in deep braking with them. I think one of my major problems was the 555Rs on the rear. Dario told me they use the 555RII, which I do have on the front, and it is a great track tire and to replace the 555R with it. These tires are so gumball I have to believe it was the shoulders on the 555R right now.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by edz
And a good day was had by most.

Thanks Ed for setting up the event. Sorry that the morning incident messed preventing you from enjoying the first two sessions.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The one thing that sucks is you don't see your run as a spectator does. Next time I need somebody to video tape it as several people came over after my runs with positive commits about my runs and how loud my car was at wot.

Also I just found out why my car felt like crap I just don't know how it happened. The night before I increased the pressure in all my tires so my fronts had 40 psi and the rears had 35 psi. When I arrived at the track some experts who ran the same tire combinations said to increase the rears to 40 psi which I did after I checked them and they were the same as the night before. After my first lap by myself something felt loose so I came back into the pits and checked my tires for damage and the wear pattern to see if it was rolling everything looked ok so I went back out. I thought it was the 555R on my rear sidewalls causing the issue since they are really drag radials so I just took it easy in the corners. It turns out something happened which caused my driver rear to loose 30 psi so it only had 10psi which was enough to keep the sidewall up. The really strange thing was I have wear on the full tread face, but non on the sidewall which is what I would expect if the tire was under-inflated. What really sucks is I know better just with everything going on I wasn't thinking straight which is bad and dangerous. If I would have had a couple good laps on solid tires I don't think this would have happened and if it ever does again I will know exactly what is going on.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
I watched you on turn 10 (right hand) several times early on the last run, I did not see any thing that would have indicated a slack tire, and thats the sort of thing that I look for.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
You did a great job! Moroso is a tough track for a heavy V-8 car.

Was it a SVTOA event?

Warning: Don't listen to Bruce (Mr. Black Flag)!

I'll be in Sebring next month. If you want to come over and check the track out (full course), they will have track touring during lunch.

Yea, he is hooked........

Stanger58

Established Member
Ah... another one "infected" by the "go fast, turn right / turn left crack speed pipe"! :coolman:

From a few years of my own experiences and teaching, here are some key things to ALWAYS remember / think about at driving schools:

Check your car over thoroughly before EVERY on-track session... then check it again.

"Slow In, Fast Out - Fast In, Spin Out"

"DON'T be a slime-ball early-apexer"

"If you see headlights ... one of you screwed up!"

ALWAYS make sure the "nut behind the wheel" is snug and ready-to-go EVERYTIME you pull out onto the track.

And finally, PLEASE don't worry about what your car sounds/looks like on track or to others... worry about how YOU get your car around the track, instead. :p

Again, welcome to the highly-addictive world of REAL driving. :rockon:

Hope to see you at Sebring with SVTOA next April.

Jeff Lacina
Lead Instructor
SVTOA On Track events

P.S. Congrats to your group Mr. Ed, for putting on an event on your own... keep up the great work!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by 1995COBRA-R

Warning: Don't listen to Bruce (Mr. Black Flag)!

C'mon Doc. Cut me a little slack!:cryying: I only received three black flags this year? Is that bad? :shrug:

;-) :lol: :p

Users who are viewing this thread