Morimoto LED headlights for 2010-2012 - any experience?

nyuk98GT

Established Member
SVTPerformance members:

Found these (Morimoto) LED projector headlights and wondering if anyone has experience with them? I understand that Morimoto is a "good name" in the headlight world.

How do LED headlights perform in wet weather? I read a post that said the LED light output "washed out" in the wet weather.

I really like the look of the halogens on my car ('12) but the light output is just OK. I'm thinking the LED headlights would be a significant improvement even if the styling of the light is a bit modern for the body style.

Any LED headlight experience is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

upload_2018-9-2_22-48-27.jpeg

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Chris,

If the projectors are made for LED's then you'll be happy with the light output. When people put LED's into housings they're not made for you get the I'll effects such as scatter and poor throw.

I have Morimoto LED fog lights on my Cobra and they're great. Excellent light out put with a sharp cutoff and a very easy adjustment knob.

Good luck with your decision and post up some pics if you do get them.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
HudsonFalcon,

Thanks very much for the speedy reply.

Yes, these lights replace the OEM housing and are designed with a proper (I trust) LED projector. I am glad to hear that the fog lights on your Cobra work well - gives me confidence that Morimoto knows what they're doing. :D

Thank you for the info.

Chris

nyuk98GT

Established Member
TrickLittlePony,

Me too, lol! If I get 'em, you come and see me, if you get 'em, I'll come and see you.

I plan to call the shop this week and ask how the "throw" of the LED lights is. LEDs are very bright at the source but many vehicles that have them (factory) do not seem to send the light very far in front of the vehicle. If I am going to upgrade, i want something that is a significant improvement over the stock halogen lights. The price of the factory HIDs is well over twice the price of the Morimoto headlights. The Morimotos are "affordable" if they work as advertized. I am heartened by HudsonFalcon's post about his Cobra LED foglights.

I'll post an update after the phone call.

Chris

Last edited:

jayk17

Established Member
My buddy has Morimoto LED projector headlights, and they are pretty bright.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
jayk17,

Thanks for the info. I understand that the lights are bright (at source) but my concern is that all that light power "evaporates" before it gets in front of the car. This is a complaint I remember repeated when LED headlights just came out "bright at the headlight but not as bright down the road as the stock halogens". I am thinking that the manufacturers have sorted out the problem of sending the light down the road (in front of the car). So, jayk17, how is the light intensity down the road, please? TIA.

Chris

D1984

Whining
Established Member
jayk17,

Thanks for the info. I understand that the lights are bright (at source) but my concern is that all that light power "evaporates" before it gets in front of the car. This is a complaint I remember repeated when LED headlights just came out "bright at the headlight but not as bright down the road as the stock halogens". I am thinking that the manufacturers have sorted out the problem of sending the light down the road (in front of the car). So, jayk17, how is the light intensity down the road, please? TIA.

Chris

They have gotten better, but usually the only OEM LED housings that can come close to xenons have multiple bulbs, like you see in Acuras

D1984

Whining
Established Member
That said, those headlights look awesome and I wish they were available when I bought my headlights. Seems stupid to replace mine already, unless the light output is amazing which I doubt

GrabberBlue5.0

Established Member
Any updates on the headlights? I’m interested and those morimotos are about the only aftermarket replacement headlight that I feel is comparable to stock as far as “looks” go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyuk98GT

Established Member
GrabberBlue5.0,

Sorry, but I have not decided on these yet, lol. I'm waffling about them because I think that the stock headlights (regular halogen) aesthetically look really good with the '10-12 body. And, with the heavier gauge wiring harness, my headlights do a decent job now. OTOH, the Morimoto headlights maintain the outside marker lights, the company makes high quality stuff, and the lights surely put more out more lumens than the stock halogens.
Waffle, waffle, waffle. It's a conundrum.

If Santa Claus brings you new Morimoto headlights, please post an update or two.

Chris

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Yeah, still thinking about getting these. But I may buy the new Raxiom Vector V2 tail lights first

405839.jpg

405839-alt2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread