****! More problems.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Finally got the car on the road last night. Well in hopes of getting the battery charged. Remeber its been sitting almost 5 months.

Batt isnt holding a charge. Meh. Oh well, was a redtop that survived 2 NASTY accidents. Not to mention I got it used for $50.

So..upon further inspection I need...

Seconday Airpump parts/labor $500
Battery and Alt. $320 parts, do it myself.
Finally putting on the brakes/pads/rotors I purchased months ago...

And the kicker..the guys says both of my exhaust manifolds are cracked. Is this common? I kinda heard one 'pop' one of the times I started it, and knew there was a leak. But had no idea it would be this bad.

So I need headers. FRPP shorties? I dont know to go too crazy. BBK LT's have to remove one to swap the clutch right? Whats my best option? :fm: :bash:

96cobrakid

Established Member
shorty's aren't worth it, if you don't wanna spend money on them, find a set of stockers. i think most people that have some laying around would sell them for next to nothing. throw em on there. if you buy headers, do longtubes, no question on a dohc motor.

sucks to hear man, but these cars get problems every now and then. get er fixed, spend the money you don't have and don't want to spend, and your first WOT spin will make it all worth it, try not to get all stressed about it

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'd just throw a set of stock manifolds back on it. Not worth extra expense and effort in your situation I don't think.

Also, yes, BBK's you have to pull off the passanger header to get the transmission out. If you were wanting longtubes look into Flowtech and Hooker (<-- $$) on the clutch swap convenience aspect

96cobrakid said:
sucks to hear man, but these cars get problems every now and then. get er fixed, spend the money you don't have and don't want to spend, and your first WOT spin will make it all worth it, try not to get all stressed about it

I doubt it. I don't think there is another man on this planet that hates his car as much as Ron.

You still moving back to Chicago like you mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago?

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
jba shorties are well worth it.

can remove the tranny like with a stock manifold, with almost long tube like power.

they are pricey, but they work.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Might be comming 'home' sooner than expected. Bryan. Not sure exactly, but definatly soon. I cant wait.

For now, I guess Im gonna keep it. See what I decide to do with it once I get home and settled. I might try to pay it off some more and try to break even selling it. Im really not sure, to be honest. I do need to get it on the road, like ASAP.

So who has stock shortys around? Can anyone post me a link to the flowtech or hookers?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
sLOWDOHC said:
Might be comming 'home' sooner than expected. Bryan. Not sure exactly, but definatly soon. I cant wait.

For now, I guess Im gonna keep it. See what I decide to do with it once I get home and settled. I might try to pay it off some more and try to break even selling it. Im really not sure, to be honest. I do need to get it on the road, like ASAP.

So who has stock shortys around? Can anyone post me a link to the flowtech or hookers?

ive got some stockers for ya bro. Let me know what u want to pay. We are close to one another so shipping wont be too bad. They came off my 98 and have less than 35k on them. BTW, that sucks about all the problems your having with the cobra. Good Luck!
Grant

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
You might be close to Miguel, but Im a good 9-1000 miles away. :p

Thinking about going with the Flowtechs. :shrug:

I cant wait to get my car with the new brakes/calipers/rotors. I guess the air pump is why my CEL has been on the past 8-9 months.

Driving it lastnight was kinda fun. I kinda do miss it, and I guess all of the problems fixed, I might like it again. Who knows. I still wont till the bastard is fixed, which will still be another few weeks. I cant afford to have all of this done at once.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Just got my bill....ouch.

Just for the brakes, an oil change and a battery. The guy is simply awesome and gave me employee price on labor, which saved me a ton. I reminded him I fixed one of their cars before, and promised to come back.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
The 10th anniv. calipers look sweet mated with the slotted rotors. :D Driving it home was like driving a new car. Guess it was the caliper after all this time, I was kinda thinking it was a wheel bearing at the end. I have the old stuff back, who with a GT wants some Cobra brakes? The rears need to be 'rebuilt' but I hear its not a big deal.

Saving now to get the airpump/labor done, then will be the headers. The flowtechs are pretty much the sdme as hookers right? The one side is actually 2 pieces also; Im not sure if this benefits the clutch install, or just the header install itself. All in all, Im pretty suprised its going to take this much to get the ****er back on the road, but I will be delighted once its 'right' again.

Oh, back to the broken stock manifolds...is this common or no? Like I said, I pretty much heard one 'pop' one start up, and kinda figured it was a gasket.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
One last thing I keep forgetting to comment on is...Everyone told me I would need new lines for the 03 Calipers. I did not. I did how ever need a new banjo bolt. Something abouyt the coarse/fine threads, he didnt elaborate too much. But the other lines (even though I wanted to do stainless while we were in there) were not needed.

You guys really have to excuse the condition of the car. Remeber how long it has been sitting. :) Once its road worthy again, I will shine her up as always.
Rear
P1010244.jpg

Front
P1010245.jpg

Of course the spokes were in the way on either side, but you get the idea.

Sad to say, Im starting to get the bug again.....hard. :D

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
looks good, dirty or not :) O, and I thought you would be close cuz u said ud be coming "home" for a while. didnt u live near chicago? anyways, yeah, the flowtechs are like hookers. the trans can be dropped without removing the headers, unlike my damn bbk's, argh. and yeah, the mod bug is hitting me again too. I just bought my new upper/lower control arms. next is a nice tint all the way around, and put on my entire suspension. after that, its an MGW for sure. Good Luck on getting the cobra back up and running!!
Grant

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
I got it used for $50. I dont know how old it is. Im not stressin the new battery cost, just that I would have wanted another Optima. But the world isnt over, it will do for now. :)

Red98, Im moving back home soon. No exact date set yet, but Im hoping very soon. Getting that tax money from the man and riding out.

Ive decided against shorties, and want to go with the flowtechs.

The 95 Impala wasnt mine, for the 21423423th time. Everyone took that the wrong way. I did the A/V set up for a friend. :)

calgarycobra

Banned
I just read the thread and thought I would chime in at the 11th hour. You do know that a car's charging system will not put a full charge into a battery, right? Get a proper full charge from a quality battery charger which can take 1+ days. An alternator is meant to 'top up' a battery not charge it from completely dead.

Users who are viewing this thread